• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

L401CJF

Established Member
Same here, what time are you doing it? 3rd or 4th time of trying for me, I replied within 5 minutes, luckily they sent it earlier than they 'usually' do otherwise I'd have missed it again due to work. I was in the kitchen about to head out and just so happened to check my emails.
For me I got it first time. I replied within 5 minutes of receiving the email. It may be worth noting I stated a preferred slot, but said I would be available for any. They replied the next day with a slot (which wasn't my preferred!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dorian Grey

Yay! Got the 20th too at 2nd attempt. Luckily replied after 8 mins.
Just wondering though, I’ve seen earlier posts that say the paper test is separate from the computer test and MMI. The practice material has computer test examples too so I was just ensuring they aren’t done on the same day as the paper test and followed by the MMI? It states it may take up to 4 hours. Just a bit unsure as to whether we need to prepare for all the tests or just the Bourdon and Tea-oc. Thanks

L401CJF

Established Member
Yay! Got the 20th too at 2nd attempt. Luckily replied after 8 mins.
Just wondering though, I’ve seen earlier posts that say the paper test is separate from the computer test and MMI. The practice material has computer test examples too so I was just ensuring they aren’t done on the same day as the paper test and followed by the MMI? It states it may take up to 4 hours. Just a bit unsure as to whether we need to prepare for all the tests or just the Bourdon and Tea-oc. Thanks
I can't remember the abbreviations for the paper tests, but it included the bourdon, report writing, tones/phone book, cable+dials and the rules/procedures test. I think it took about 4 hours or so. Not sure if I've forgotten any others, I try not to think about them again if I can! :lol:

The computer tests plus MMI are sat separately at a later date if you pass stage one.

Saxon79

Same here, what time are you doing it? 3rd or 4th time of trying for me, I replied within 5 minutes, luckily they sent it earlier than they 'usually' do otherwise I'd have missed it again due to work. I was in the kitchen about to head out and just so happened to check my emails.
I am doing them at 9:30. I was at work but just checked my phone on way out of mess room so managed get reply within 10 minutes.

Dorian Grey

I can't remember the abbreviations for the paper tests, but it included the bourdon, report writing, tones/phone book, cable+dials and the rules/procedures test. I think it took about 4 hours or so. Not sure if I've forgotten any others, I try not to think about them again if I can! :lol:

The computer tests plus MMI are sat separately at a later date if you pass stage one.
Thanks thats good to know it would have been a lot to prepare for every test. No computer memory test, concentration test and mmi then. Can worry about them at a later date ( hopefully!)

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Had to cancel my test for Monday. Combination of things going against me . How often do these slots come up ?
There's been a few who've had to cancel, may be a wait of a few months. There will be another invite at some point

jal2610

Just found out I've passed the DMI and am in the talent pool! Thanks to those who have responses directly to any of my q's and for everyone who contributes on here. It's all been really helpful. Just have to wait for a start date now !

rdw1987

Just found out I've passed the DMI and am in the talent pool! Thanks to those who have responses directly to any of my q's and for everyone who contributes on here. It's all been really helpful. Just have to wait for a start date now !
Congratulations! how did you find the interview? I don't have the option to private message you and would like to ask a few questions, currently preparing for my DMI.

Rigvon

Well done and congratulations. It’s a great feeling isn’t it!

RyanC87

Nope. No contact at all. Obviously don’t have an interview tomorrow but it would have been nice to be told. Will be using the extra time to revise even more but only so much you can do. Back to the waiting game. What stage you at?

Stick to the booklet. They’re near enough the same or very similar. It prepared me perfectly.

I'm in now, 2 months out of class and driving now. A friend of mine is in the same boat as you, replied and didn't hear anything

Saxon79

Congratulations

deanboy7

Congrats! Hope all went well and you didn’t have to wait forever for it :)
Hi Jessica. I noticed that you said you failed a year ago. Was that with TFW? I failed the Atavt today but passed all other tests. Do you know if I have to apply all over again and is the 6 months from today or when the application came out (August)?

jessica1306

Hi Jessica. I noticed that you said you failed a year ago. Was that with TFW? I failed the Atavt today but passed all other tests. Do you know if I have to apply all over again and is the 6 months from today or when the application came out (August)?
Hiya—you do have to apply again however once/if getting through the paper sift and they send you the email saying you have passed, you can reply explaining you’ve got X/Y/Z test under your belt and so only need to do those you didn’t pass previously to go through to DMI. I’d passed all tests before so they gave me a DMI date for example. So not entire process if it is within 2 years from sitting date.

I believe it is 6 months from the sitting date, but I could be wrong. So you have more time on your tests at least. You should be able to apply in August.

deanboy7

Hiya—you do have to apply again however once/if getting through the paper sift and they send you the email saying you have passed, you can reply explaining you’ve got X/Y/Z test under your belt and so only need to do those you didn’t pass previously to go through to DMI. I’d passed all tests before so they gave me a DMI date for example. So not entire process if it is within 2 years from sitting date.

I believe it is 6 months from the sitting date, but I could be wrong. So you have more time on your tests at least. You should be able to apply in August.
Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed if I pass application I can skip day 1 and just attend day 2 then. I walked away from there and couldn't believe I failed the Atavt...I felt ok after it so not a clue what images I failed on.

Leavesontrack

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed if I pass application I can skip day 1 and just attend day 2 then. I walked away from there and couldn't believe I failed the Atavt...I felt ok after it so not a clue what images I failed on.
No worse feeling... i was sure i failed that one when i did it, key i think is to just hit the ones your sure of, what you defo saw.. but hell what do i know...its a mystery how they mark some of the tests...

good work

jal2610

Congratulations! how did you find the interview? I don't have the option to private message you and would like to ask a few questions, currently preparing for my DMI.
thank you! I found it ok to be fair. It was fairly relaxed and i felt like the interviewers want you to do well so help/nudge you in the right direction if necessary. I think its been mentioned on here before but there were 3 sections with about 5 q's in each. There are your generic q's like why do you want the job etc. Just need to make sure you learn a bit about TFW and their plans and also try and find out info about the role itself such as the challenged you might face. It's a fairly standard interview and they ask questions you would expect to be asked for the most past so just do your prep and you should do ok!
Well done and congratulations. It’s a great feeling isn’t it!
yep its a massive relief! no more prep! I see that your process since the DMI has gone really quickly. Im hoping for the same. Think i may have just missed the boat for the 13th March though.

Saxon79

Question regarding the phone book test. Are you looking for the places that have double symbols? I read somewhere on this site that is what you do but it is a post that is over 3 years old.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Question regarding the phone book test. Are you looking for the places that have double symbols? I read somewhere on this site that is what you do but it is a post that is over 3 years old.
Yes double symbols. The test booklet will prepare you for it, though it will look different when you sit it, the way to do it is the same

Jammy216

Hi all. I too am in the talent pool for Cardiff after recently passing my DMI. I’m over the moon, just hope the medical won’t cause any issues. I have looked at many posts on here prior to all the stages and wanted to thank all who have contributed. I have to say that I have had doubts about my performances throughout but here I am. Anyone about to do the DMI, just be yourself and you’ll be fine.

RyanC87

Hi all. I too am in the talent pool for Cardiff after recently passing my DMI. I’m over the moon, just hope the medical won’t cause any issues. I have looked at many posts on here prior to all the stages and wanted to thank all who have contributed. I have to say that I have had doubts about my performances throughout but here I am. Anyone about to do the DMI, just be yourself and you’ll be fine.
You'll be fine with the medical. Well done mate. It's a great job

Saxon79

Can anyone recommend any practice material for the tea-occ test? I've done the practice booklet material.

Jammy216

Can anyone recommend any practice material for the tea-occ test? I've done the practice booklet material.
Personally I stuck to the provided material and this part of the test wasn’t too bad. This is the symbols in the directory and also counting beeps??

L401CJF

Established Member
Personally I stuck to the provided material and this part of the test wasn’t too bad. This is the symbols in the directory and also counting beeps??
Agreed, for me personally I only used the materials provided with the exception of Group Bourdon - where the tool available on this site shows you how the real thing looks.

perks1992

Hi, just had my results for last Wednesday paper tests. Passed! Second attempt. Just messaging to ask if anyone can remember the 6 questions they asked for the mmi, I know one was an emergency situation. Not sure whether to change some answers