• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Tracey87Blue

Hello,
First time posting here.
Applied back in August 2020. Up till now, I only received automated emails, however, I received an email from Laura today saying my application has progressed to the next stage, and that they need my NI.
I applied for Cardiff.
Hope this helps those still waiting. V.slowly, things are moving along.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As you're Stourbridge I reckon you could easily get to Worcester within an hour, should GWR recruit trainees there in the future.

It makes me smile when members who post frequently during the recruitment process go quiet during the training. Absolutely not a dig, and a sure sign that they a) have got their heads in their books or b) don't visit the forum anymore as they've achieved what they set out to do. Its always appreciated when those who are training take the time to comment on their experience.

Good call on GWR, didn't even think of Worcester but yes I'd definitely get there in an hour.

Did message Laura last week to see if there was any idea of a date as I need to book training courses for my current job but would have to pay back costs if I left within a certain period, not heard anything back though.

Slipper

Does anyone know if anyone has ever got to the talent pool for TfW, but then is never actually offered a job? Or been in the talent pool for 2 years and had to resit the assessments?

Welsh lady

Your best taking your time and take it all in, I always say there's never a stupid question if your not sure of anything always ask.
What training centre are you based ?
Good luck
I've been loving it so far! Only girl on my course but the trainer is female and she's amazing!! Based at Cardiff currently in the sim where are you based? X

Leemini

Your best taking your time and take it all in, I always say there's never a stupid question if your not sure of anything always ask.
What training centre are you based ?
Good luck
Going on the Cardiff mainline. Can't wait. The process is so long so have to make the most of the opportunity when it comes. A friend of mine passed out a few weeks ago so been giving loads of advice

Robbie88

Going on the Cardiff mainline. Can't wait. The process is so long so have to make the most of the opportunity when it comes. A friend of mine passed out a few weeks ago so been giving loads of advice
I’ve just passed out on the mainline, you’ll enjoy it. There is a lot to learn with all the routes and traction you need to sign but it all clicks into place eventually.

Leemini

I’ve just passed out on the mainline, you’ll enjoy it. There is a lot to learn with all the routes and traction you need to sign but it all clicks into place eventually.
Thanks mate. I'll be in touch if I get stuck lol. My mate recently passed out on the valleys line. Hope your enjoying

ArchangelA

Heard nothing since last September when I was asked to provide my National Insurance number after applying. Anyone else in the same boat?

Very much in the same boat mate. I'm assuming you applied for Shrewsbury, being West Midlands?
I was asked to provide my NI number then got to December without hearing anything. I emailed their HR who told me that I would be invited to assessments at some point this year. Obviously that was 6 months ago now and I've still to hear anything. I'm well aware rail recruitment is slow at the best of times so taking a little bit of comfort in the fact that a South Wales course has been running for a few weeks now.
I believe that the initial intention for TfW was to take on around 200 trainees to fill the gaps across their network, including the South Wales metro. Chuck in a bit of Covid, and the fact that the Welsh Government have taken control of the franchise, and I'm not sure what the immediate impact will be on recruitment. Hopefully, minimal.

JRogers92

Hello,
First time posting here.
Applied back in August 2020. Up till now, I only received automated emails, however, I received an email from Laura today saying my application has progressed to the next stage, and that they need my NI.
I applied for Cardiff.
That’s wonderful news, I also applied in August the 28th I think. I haven’t had a automated email since the 11th of March, so fingers crossed I might also have some update soon. Whether it’s good or bad it’s nice to see things are moving forward. Thanks for the update xx

Last edited:

ArchangelA

Very much in the same boat mate. I'm assuming you applied for Shrewsbury, being West Midlands?
I was asked to provide my NI number then got to December without hearing anything. I emailed their HR who told me that I would be invited to assessments at some point this year. Obviously that was 6 months ago now and I've still to hear anything. I'm well aware rail recruitment is slow at the best of times so taking a little bit of comfort in the fact that a South Wales course has been running for a few weeks now.
I believe that the initial intention for TfW was to take on around 200 trainees to fill the gaps across their network, including the South Wales metro. Chuck in a bit of Covid, and the fact that the Welsh Government have taken control of the franchise, and I'm not sure what the immediate impact will be on recruitment. Hopefully, minimal.
Yep Shrewsbury! Shocking the way they treat applicants really.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yep Shrewsbury! Shocking the way they treat applicants really.
Almost as shocking as people who think bad mouthing the company online will improve their chances of getting a job.....

We're in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic that's throwing all kinds of spanners in all kinds of places, and even in good times railway recurrent is a very difficult business with the sheer amount of applications to get through and the fact that assessments can't be held just anywhere. I know it's frustrating but patience really is the name of the game here.

ArchangelA

Almost as shocking as people who think bad mouthing the company online will improve their chances of getting a job.....

We're in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic that's throwing all kinds of spanners in all kinds of places, and even in good times railway recurrent is a very difficult business with the sheer amount of applications to get through and the fact that assessments can't be held just anywhere. I know it's frustrating but patience really is the name of the game here.
I'm not bad mouthing the company, but a simple email, even if it was an automated one would suffice. Why keep people in unnecessary suspense when people have bothered to apply.

I have to agree. I've emailed other companies during this pandemic and have responses back within 24 hours so why they can't just give an automated "no further updates" is beyond me.

Surely that would save numerous people emailing in asking the same question.

Tanx30

Hi, first post here, just to update I applied back in July last year for Cardiff and received an email from Laura saying that I had been shortlisted for assessment and to reply with my NI number. Replied back straightaway and she then emailed to say she would be doing the necessary checks shortly and would update me with assessment centers. Honestly, I had given up as the last automated email I received was back in November so was quite shocked to see the email come through and instantly started to get nervous about the assessments! been practising since with the group bourden and doing quite a bit of research on everything else that’s expected! Need all the luck I can possibly get, but reading through this thread has put my mind at ease quite a lot! Thanks all

Leemini

Hi, first post here, just to update I applied back in July last year for Cardiff and received an email from Laura saying that I had been shortlisted for assessment and to reply with my NI number. Replied back straightaway and she then emailed to say she would be doing the necessary checks shortly and would update me with assessment centers. Honestly, I had given up as the last automated email I received was back in November so was quite shocked to see the email come through and instantly started to get nervous about the assessments! been practising since with the group bourden and doing quite a bit of research on everything else that’s expected! Need all the luck I can possibly get, but reading through this thread has put my mind at ease quite a lot! Thanks all
Just follow the instructions on the day and carry out the practice test and u should be fine.

Dups456

Hi. First time post for me as well. Thanks to everyone who has posted information and advice on this thread. I’ve not heard anything since March when I had the ‘still under review’ email. When did you get the email for N.I number ?

Tanx30

Hi. First time post for me as well. Thanks to everyone who has posted information and advice on this thread. I’ve not heard anything since March when I had the ‘still under review’ email. When did you get the email for N.I number ?
I literally had the email on Monday (14th June), was quite a shock to be honest! This forum has been amazing and taken my nerve levels down a few notches lol xxx

Nj82

Hey guys,

Just a note to say for those who have waited a while…….I applied in Feb 2019 and because of TFW resource issues/changes in govt take over, of course everyone’s friend COVID etc and availability I have been through all the process, tests and interviews and only recently completed my MMI but now have my medical booked in the next fortnight so all I am saying is be patient and until told otherwise don’t give up hope!!!

Remember it is competitive and the investment in the right people is pivotal to the role naturally…….

Good luck to all!!

Dups456

Ah ok. Congrats on getting through! Someone else had the N.I email on Monday as well, I guess back to the waiting game for me.

Hey guys,

Just a note to say for those who have waited a while…….I applied in Feb 2019 and because of TFW resource issues/changes in govt take over, of course everyone’s friend COVID etc and availability I have been through all the process, tests and interviews and only recently completed my MMI but now have my medical booked in the next fortnight so all I am saying is be patient and until told otherwise don’t give up hope!!!

Remember it is competitive and the investment in the right people is pivotal to the role naturally…….

Good luck to all!!
Thanks! Messages like this are very encouraging. As many people have said before it’s a long wait but definitely worth it if you are successful.

Slipper

Hey guys,

Good luck to all!!
Congratulations Nj82, that is a long wait to be fair. What date you actually go into the talent pool please?

Tanx30

Hi all, I’ve just received a further email from the recruitment team saying that my application is still being processed and that they would be in contact in the future due to the current government restrictions etc with Laura’s name at the bottom but it has come from a different email address. This is following the email I received on Monday asking for my NI number and that they would be in contact shortly with information regarding assessment centers? I don’t know if it’s an automatic email sent out or my status has now changed if you know what I mean? I have emailed Laura directly just waiting on a reply…

Hello,
First time posting here.
I applied for Cardiff.
Have you received any other emails since Monday? I received mine on Monday requesting NI number, replied with it, had a response saying would be in touch shortly with assessment centers and then received another today saying that my application is still being processed and that they would be in touch in the future due to government guidelines with covid? I also applied to Cardiff? X

Last edited:

BarberGirl

Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I’ve got my DMI Monday. Looking for advice really, types of questions that are asked and what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Tracey87Blue

Hi all, I’ve just received a further email from the recruitment team saying that my application is still being processed and that they would be in contact in the future due to the current government restrictions etc with Laura’s name at the bottom but it has come from a different email address. This is following the email I received on Monday asking for my NI number and that they would be in contact shortly with information regarding assessment centers? I don’t know if it’s an automatic email sent out or my status has now changed if you know what I mean? I have emailed Laura directly just waiting on a reply…

Have you received any other emails since Monday? I received mine on Monday requesting NI number, replied with it, had a response saying would be in touch shortly with assessment centers and then received another today saying that my application is still being processed and that they would be in touch in the future due to government guidelines with covid? I also applied to Cardiff? X
Yeah, I received another email from the recruitment team on Friday, saying they the job was still live and they were progressing with applications. I assume it’s a blanket email to those who have got to this stage (NI/waiting assessments) so will wait and see. In the meantime I am going to practice the assessments