• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJ1994

I start the 17th January for Shrewsbury
If you don't mind me asking but when did you apply? I applied last year June/July I think it was.. Laura emailed me ages ago asking for my NI number so I can be invited to an assessment day, now whenever I email her I just get a "your application is still under review" generic email back.

There's a few of us who applied last year that received an email this week, basically saying that TfW will progress our applications in due course. It's just a case of staying patient I'm afraid.

If you don't mind me asking but when did you apply? I applied last year June/July I think it was.. Laura emailed me ages ago asking for my NI number so I can be invited to an assessment day, now whenever I email her I just get a "your application is still under review" generic email back.

I applied at the end of July last year and had my first set of tests about 2 weeks later.

As said there are quite a few people in the same boat unfortunately.

Welshp88

I’m not even getting the email any more, Haven’t had one for months
Same. Applied July last year. Haven’t had an email update since March. I’m still very hopeful but I’d just like to know one way or another. Friends applied and were told they were unsuccessful within a month

mic1610

In a way it's a goid sign, srill in a process. Recruitment seems to be going by depot amd then when a person applied (my guess only). So once passed tests it might doing medical soon if DI is available in the depot you applying for

RyanMabey12

Yes mate I’m on that course, Cardiff? Medical pencilled in for next week.
Cool, yeah Cardiff done my medical Friday

When did you guys who’s had start dates hand your notice in? Found out I passed the medical and got sent a contract today

Last edited:

Welshman1

Good morning, I have been waiting patiently since July 2020 to hear anything, I have received an email confirming i will be invited to an assessment day. I would like to thank you all for your contributions on this forum, as it has proved invaluable to me. I am grateful to be just given an opportunity, but also don't want to overwhelm myself. I have purchased software to practice on, which i have been doing ok on. But the Group bourdon i only seem to get between 9-10 lines with no omissions or errors, does anyone know if this would be sufficient ? I have tried different methods but by increasing the lines i am not as accurate. Should i just stick to taking my time in the hope that this will be enough ?

When are you handing in your notice? I’m not sure when to had mine in
I would personally hand in my notice at my minimum notice period ie 2 weeks/4 weeks. This minimises your risk if anything was to go wrong, if you handed it in now for a start in January for example, you would be allowing there to be 2 months for something to go wrong, and your employer may not allow you to retract your notice, as they may have advertised or looked to fill the vacancy you have left.

Plodster

Good morning, I have been waiting patiently since July 2020 to hear anything, I have received an email confirming i will be invited to an assessment day. I would like to thank you all for your contributions on this forum, as it has proved invaluable to me. I am grateful to be just given an opportunity, but also don't want to overwhelm myself. I have purchased software to practice on, which i have been doing ok on. But the Group bourdon i only seem to get between 9-10 lines with no omissions or errors, does anyone know if this would be sufficient ? I have tried different methods but by increasing the lines i am not as accurate. Should i just stick to taking my time in the hope that this will be enough ?

I would personally hand in my notice at my minimum notice period ie 2 weeks/4 weeks. This minimises your risk if anything was to go wrong, if you handed it in now for a start in January for example, you would be allowing there to be 2 months for something to go wrong, and your employer may not allow you to retract your notice, as they may have advertised or looked to fill the vacancy you have left.
I think I was around this mark when I practiced it and passed on the day probably with a few errors each page
Just keep the focus for the 10 minutes on the day
I know I made errors when I did it
Good luck with it

Welshman1

I think I was around this mark when I practiced it and passed on the day probably with a few errors each page
Just keep the focus for the 10 minutes on the day
I know I made errors when I did it
Good luck with it
How many lines were you getting on the day ?

Plodster

How many lines were you getting on the day ?
Think 9/10 per page
I know I missed some on the first page as I could see them once the test had finished

When are you handing in your notice? I’m not sure when to had mine in
I’ve given notice today for a mid January start date.
Did right to work check with Laura yesterday
Pertemps have done my DBS and will be getting work records tomorrow from my HR
Medical done the other week
Signed and returned contracts start of this week
I’m fairly confident I would be able to stay with my current employer if things changed at short notice now so that made it a touch easier
Roll on January

Last edited:
My notice goes in next week. I believe all my checks are complete but I've messaged Laura to double check. I've had my DBS certificate through and my right to work etc is all done.

Looking forward to getting started now.

Yes Burt, got my email off the trainer today.

Trying to figure out where my staff I.D number is to fill in some of the paperwork but will call HR tomorrow to sort it.

Burt807

Cheers, just had an email saying he will send it through tonight or tomorrow.

Have you set up any of the iTrent HR yet?
Hi mate, no not yet, I think that's why they set up a TFW account for us from the info you send through once you've got your payroll number. I need to chase that up though when I speak to HR tomm. See you there!