• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Prodigy1989

Me too.

I dont think there is any real study you can do. Maybe prectice with 1 second flash cards and list the 5 objects in there. Like the kitchen scene in practice materials.

The grey dot is just good concentration I suppose (never done it so keeping focused for a length of time)

Hand coordination with joystick, again, start gaming ha...with a old joystick... (thats what I am going to do- any excuse to get my Amiga out)
Pass these 3 then its MMI. That will be my downfall.. Answering the 6 questions they gave us at the end

Thank you. I may see you at the next stage!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

karl grindrod

Ive just been informed that I have passed the initial assessment centre.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for how to study for the next computer tests?

I will browse back through this thread and have a detailed look but I just have a spare 5 minutes so thought I would post!
Traineetraindriverinfo.co.uk is a really good site, the tests I got from there were really accurate to the real thing... best of luck!!

Sundanceclass

Just passed my medical, what a great feeling as it’s a long process. Anyone want any advice feel free to reply or msg me. Good luck everyone

Sophhosk

Yes I’d like to know too please, I also have my interview next week. Any steer as what to expect, questions asked etc?

Also, how long after the interview did you have to wait for the medical?

Sundanceclass

I’ll try to reply to you all in one. My start date is 9th January for Crewe depot, medical is approx 10 days after dmi.

Dmi I wouldn’t say is as hard as the mmi but an interview nonetheless. They will comfort you as best they can just don’t get flustered and concentrate on what your saying.

Obviously research the company well, units, routes, and their projects for future. They will ask questions like who is part of the wider team and who are the customers. How to deal with shift work is also another question so think about how you will answer them.

Sophhosk

I’ll try to reply to you all in one. My start date is 9th January for Crewe depot, medical is approx 10 days after dmi.

Dmi I wouldn’t say is as hard as the mmi but an interview nonetheless. They will comfort you as best they can just don’t get flustered and concentrate on what your saying.

Obviously research the company well, units, routes, and their projects for future. They will ask questions like who is part of the wider team and who are the customers. How to deal with shift work is also another question so think about how you will answer them.

Thank you. Pretty much as expected then

How long was the interview approx? And how long did it take to hear that you had passed the interview?

karl grindrod

Just passed my medical, what a great feeling as it’s a long process. Anyone want any advice feel free to reply or msg me. Good luck everyone
Congratulations!! Awesome achievement!! And thanks for the info about the DMI, I'm just waiting the result of my MMI.... nervously!! HAHA!

KellyS

Hey Im sitting my computer assessments soon, just revising some bits now and wondered if I needed to be revising the company, routes, future projects ect now? Or is that only needed for the DMI stage and nothing to do with the MMI?

Im revising the six questions I answered for the MMI at the moment and wasnt sure if I needed to look into the other bits yet…

Sophhosk

Hey Im sitting my computer assessments soon, just revising some bits now and wondered if I needed to be revising the company, routes, future projects ect now? Or is that only needed for the DMI stage and nothing to do with the MMI?

Im revising the six questions I answered for the MMI at the moment and wasnt sure if I needed to look into the other bits yet…

MMI is solely based around the 6 answers you provided at the paper assessments.

You get approx 45m to 1hr after the computer tests to go over the brief answers you gave, and the interview is essentially nothing more than being asked to elaborate further on your answers.

No other questions will be asked

Manda2194

Does anyone know how it works with training dates. Do depots mix or it it one course per depot.

I have a long notice period in my current role so just working out potential dates

Thanks!

Simotrfc

Does anyone know how it works with training dates. Do depots mix or it it one course per depot.

I have a long notice period in my current role so just working out potential dates

Thanks!
Only two training centres I think. Chester or Cardiff. We had a mix on ours at Chester from all depots in the North. They said at the end of our course there’s a lot of Courses running In 2023, will all be in new training centre.

Manda2194

Only two training centres I think. Chester or Cardiff. We had a mix on ours at Chester from all depots in the North. They said at the end of our course there’s a lot of Courses running In 2023, will all be in new training centre.
Thanks. I am right in thinking courses are around 6 weeks apart?

craigybagel

Established Member
Correct, two training centres. In general North depots go to Chester and South to Cardiff, but they can and do mix things up if that's the most efficient way to fill a course.
Thanks. I am right in thinking courses are around 6 weeks apart?
It depends, I wouldn't rely on any fixed pattern. There are course dates penciled in throughout 2023 but even they can change if needs be.

Diedinium

So unfortunately, I had to ask for my DMI interview date to be changed since I couldn't make it to the first date they proposed - got back an email that they'd cancelled the interview and once they have more dates confirmed they'll contact me.

That was nearly 3 weeks ago now and I've not heard anything since - do you guys reckon it's unlikely I'll be given a new interview date? (Really wishing I could've made that date, but it just wouldn't have been possible... not without risking my current job that is)

Is it worth contacting them to ask for any updates? Or should I just leave it and wait patiently - since I'm guessing it's unlikely that they'll conduct more interviews until January at this point anyway?

(I applied for the Shrewsbury depot by the way, if that makes any difference)

eSTeeSCe

So unfortunately, I had to ask for my DMI interview date to be changed since I couldn't make it to the first date they proposed - got back an email that they'd cancelled the interview and once they have more dates confirmed they'll contact me.

That was nearly 3 weeks ago now and I've not heard anything since - do you guys reckon it's unlikely I'll be given a new interview date? (Really wishing I could've made that date, but it just wouldn't have been possible... not without risking my current job that is)

Is it worth contacting them to ask for any updates? Or should I just leave it and wait patiently - since I'm guessing it's unlikely that they'll conduct more interviews until January at this point anyway?

(I applied for the Shrewsbury depot by the way, if that makes any difference)

I had to decline an interview in early Nov. I was told another would be rescheduled towards end of year or the new year.
Three weeks passed and like you, I thought I had pissed on my chips, so I sent a follow up email last week, the following day I was offered an interview which I was able to accept and am now waiting to sit.
Don’t loose hope, if you’ve waited three weeks, maybe send a polite email towards the end of the week to remind them that you’re out there.
They have invested money in you to get you to this point, hopefully it’s in their interest to get you through to interview stage.

All the best.

KellyS

MMI is solely based around the 6 answers you provided at the paper assessments.

You get approx 45m to 1hr after the computer tests to go over the brief answers you gave, and the interview is essentially nothing more than being asked to elaborate further on your answers.

No other questions will be asked
Thankyou! Very useful info. I appreciate it.

Diedinium

I had to decline an interview in early Nov. I was told another would be rescheduled towards end of year or the new year.
Three weeks passed and like you, I thought I had pissed on my chips, so I sent a follow up email last week, the following day I was offered an interview which I was able to accept and am now waiting to sit.
Don’t loose hope, if you’ve waited three weeks, maybe send a polite email towards the end of the week to remind them that you’re out there.
They have invested money in you to get you to this point, hopefully it’s in their interest to get you through to interview stage.

All the best.
Ah nice, yeah I thought it would be odd if they don't interview me at this point since it costs them a bunch to get us this far...

Thank you for the info, I'll send an email and ask if they have any news this week.

InkyScrolls

I applied in September and didn't hear back at all, so assumed I wasn't in with a chance. Today however I've had an email telling me I've been shortlisted, and that they'll be in touch with paper assessment dates presently. So if you've but waiting with no response, don't give up hope! They'll get to you eventually.

ratbag

I applied in September and didn't hear back at all, so assumed I wasn't in with a chance. Today however I've had an email telling me I've been shortlisted, and that they'll be in touch with paper assessment dates presently. So if you've but waiting with no response, don't give up hope! They'll get to you eventually.
Which depot did you apply for?

Leavesontrack

Had an Invite assesment for computer tests next week. Couldnt make any of the dates.

Hope some of you got lucky...

karl grindrod

Just had my email confirming I passed the computer tests and MMI!!!! So freaking happy!!! Just waiting for my date for DMI!! Excited is an understatement!!!

Fredytrains

Just had my email confirming I passed the computer tests and MMI!!!! So freaking happy!!! Just waiting for my date for DMI!! Excited is an understatement!!!
well Done m8,, when did you sit your MMI, A colleague is waiting on MMI results and wasn't confident at all of passing when I spoke to them, I tried to reassure that a lot of people feel the same after MMI,
What Depot are you In for ?