• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Welsh lady

No still haven't had it. I emailed Laura yesterday so hopefully she will get back to me soon. Been over 6 week since I had the mmi
Aww fingers crossed it'll be soon for you! Let us know if you need anything! And good luck x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jag

Yes I emailed Laura and she sent a reply back in about 5 minutes. The wait was killing me as well. Hope its good news for you.
Hopefully , I emailed her earlier so just waiting on reply . 5min went and I stopped staring at my emails lol.

Here's Hoping

Best of luck to everyone who has progressed. I am still waiting for any sort of contact, except generic emails from Acorn saying my application is under review, having applied in July. The last one was over 2 weeks ago. I wish I was more patient!

Carli

Awww this is such good news to all who are in the talent pool! CONGRATULATIONS! I had a reply from Laura saying there aren’t any DMI’s running at the moment but she will email me next week with an update! I’m being positive, I’ve got this I want this job so much!!

Welsh lady

Awww this is such good news to all who are in the talent pool! CONGRATULATIONS! I had a reply from Laura saying there aren’t any DMI’s running at the moment but she will email me next week with an update! I’m being positive, I’ve got this I want this job so much!!
Thank you! I have everything crossed for you that you get something soon! You've got this far you'll smash it

All I'll say about the DMI is don't panic. The interview was very relaxed and the interviewer's were amazing. It's the wait for the result afterwards thats the killer.

Carli

All I'll say about the DMI is don't panic. The interview was very relaxed and the interviewer's were amazing. It's the wait for the result afterwards thats the killer.
Aw thanks for that, I’m hoping mine will be face to face. I bet it was hard over Teams! Yeah the waiting throughout the whole process has been torture

Marin

How did u find the DMI. Got mine coming soon
Apologies for delay hope it went well for you if you've had it already. Just relax is the best piece of advise I can give although if you are looking for specifics there is plenty of good advice re the DMI on this forum which I found very helpful.

It was emailed to me m8 About a week later roughly
Cheers for getting back to me. Think I'm a different position as did not go through the Acorn Process.

Signed my contract yesterday, starting on the November course. Was placed in the pool in August but applied in 2019.
Hi @Boydy

I believe I went through the process a similar time to you. I applied in 2019 for Cardiff in February 2019 and undertook the assessments in Feb/Mar 2020 and final MMI etc..
Is this the same as you? I haven't heard anything yet with course dates.
Were you an internal candidate? Any news on new course dates?
I've emailed the generic recruitment address for an update but haven't yet received a reply. I can imagine it being a bit chaotic at the moment with a pandemic & government take over!
Appreciate any information.
Thanks in advance.

Boydy

Hi Marin, I applied in Feb 2019, I’m an external candidate, I start this Monday!

I was under the impression that the 2019 pool was used for the Oct and Nov course and then the new pool from January onwards. That was from someone on this forum, not from anyone at TFW.

I would definitely chase them up as you wouldn’t want to ‘fall through the cracks’, it has been known.

I know someone who applied in 2019, got through to DMI but asked to re-arrange the interview as he couldn’t make it on the day. He chased and chased but didn’t get a new date. He was eventually told to re-apply through the Acorn process and got sifted.

Were you placed in the pool in August?

RedRobin

I will
Hi Marin, I applied in Feb 2019, I’m an external candidate, I start this Monday!

I was under the impression that the 2019 pool was used for the Oct and Nov course and then the new pool from January onwards. That was from someone on this forum, not from anyone at TFW.

I would definitely chase them up as you wouldn’t want to ‘fall through the cracks’, it has been known.

I know someone who applied in 2019, got through to DMI but asked to re-arrange the interview as he couldn’t make it on the day. He chased and chased but didn’t get a new date. He was eventually told to re-apply through the Acorn process and got sifted.

I will see you Thursday for the course mate we start then. I think the Feb 2019 is empty for internals maybe not for externals maybe a few will go on next course.

Plumbstone

Hi, yes I applied for Carmarthen & got an e-mail at the end of September asking for my NI No. & that they will be looking to book me onto an assessment over the next 6 months. You heard anything??.......
I’m at the same stage for Carmarthen, NI provided 29th September with the reply of looking to book me into an assessment in the next 6 months.

Mrt83

Hi all. I've been placed into the talent pool-going for Cardiff. Does anyone know or have any idea when courses start in new year? Supose it's still a bit chaotic with covid and change to Welsh Gov.

Marin

Cheers for the reply @Boydy

I went through the process same time as you by the looks and was last told i would be contacted when new course dates start. With the pandemic situation i have been sitting patiently but I'll have to chase them up.

I wasn't told anything in August. Was you emailed or phoned? Was this basically telling you the start of the course?

I'm hoping that there wasn't enough places for the total of the Feb 2020 pool for the Nov 20 starts and I'm next on the list.

I applied in Jan 19 and went through the process in Feb 20. Is this the same intake as you?

If you are able to find anything further out I would be Very grateful, although understand if you cannot.

My contact numbers for who i was dealing with no longer work as i guess most are working from home.

Cheers.

Marin

Cheers for the reply @Boydy

I went through the process same time as you by the looks and was last told i would be contacted when new course dates start. With the pandemic situation i have been sitting patiently but I'll have to chase them up.

I wasn't told anything in August. Was you emailed or phoned? Was this basically telling you the start of the course?

I'm hoping that there wasn't enough places for the total of the Feb 2020 pool for the Nov 20 starts and I'm next on the list.

I applied in Jan 19 and went through the process in Feb 20. Is this the same intake as you?

If you are able to find anything further out I would be Very grateful, although understand if you cannot.

My contact numbers for who i was dealing with no longer work as i guess most are working from home.

Cheers.

Boydy

I applied in Feb 2019 but didn’t sit my mmi until August 2020.

Straight after the interview I was told I had passed and was being placed in the talent pool.

October I was contacted via telephone by a lady in HR to invite me to a medical, I was also given a provisional start date on that call pending passing my medical.

My medical went okay and the next day I had my contract sent to me via email. Sounds like you had been in the talent pool longer than me? If that is the case I would definitely make contact and chase it up ASAP.

I don’t know if they choose applicants from the pool based on how long they have been in it or on how well they scored in the tests/interviews. I asked that question when I was waiting in the pool but did not receive a reply.

All the best.

Marin

I applied in Feb 2019 but didn’t sit my mmi until August 2020.

Straight after the interview I was told I had passed and was being placed in the talent pool.

October I was contacted via telephone by a lady in HR to invite me to a medical, I was also given a provisional start date on that call pending passing my medical.

My medical went okay and the next day I had my contract sent to me via email. Sounds like you had been in the talent pool longer than me? If that is the case I would definitely make contact and chase it up ASAP.

I don’t know if they choose applicants from the pool based on how long they have been in it or on how well they scored in the tests/interviews. I asked that question when I was waiting in the pool but did not receive a reply.

All the best.

Cheers for the info Boydy I'll try chase up Monday. I hope your start goes well - Good luck.

Where are you under taking the courses? Is it out of the Cardiff office? It would be interesting to know if there is a HR team on site during the pandemic I could contact or if they are still working from home.

Steam Power

I’m at the same stage for Carmarthen, NI provided 29th September with the reply of looking to book me into an assessment in the next 6 months.
Hi , I applied for Carmarthen in July and have heard nothing, I guess I haven’t been successful

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Not had any kind of indication whether I’ve been selected or not. No NI email and just the automated response from Acorn stating my application is still under review

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Word of advice for anyone applying for Cardiff. As it seems from skimming (albeit I'd have thought highly unlikely!) that some of you may get the chance to go in as a trainee on the Mainline side.

If you get the choice, go mainline all day long. Even if it's a bit of a longer wait. Mainline will still be driving trains long after they've made Valleys depot a tram depot based up at Taffs Well.

Consider yourself extremely lucky if you get that choice, as usually it takes years of being a Valleys driver to make it over to the Mainline side.

JustJim93

Hi, I'm at the same stage as you I emailed them last week and they said that they will look at doing the assessments for Carmarthen in the new year

Welsh lady

Word of advice for anyone applying for Cardiff. As it seems from skimming (albeit I'd have thought highly unlikely!) that some of you may get the chance to go in as a trainee on the Mainline side.

If you get the choice, go mainline all day long. Even if it's a bit of a longer wait. Mainline will still be driving trains long after they've made Valleys depot a tram depot based up at Taffs Well.

Consider yourself extremely lucky if you get that choice, as usually it takes years of being a Valleys driver to make it over to the Mainline side.
When do you anticipate them making the valley depot a tram depot?

I was given the option of valley or mainline but said either or..

tiptoptaff

Established Member
When do you anticipate them making the valley depot a tram depot?

I was given the option of valley or mainline but said either or..
Go back to them and say mainline.

The Taffs Well depot is under construction, so can't be far away.

Even before this, mainline would have been preferable. Better work than all stops Valleys jobs all day every day.

DanV12

I applied for Carmarthen in mid August had several updates the last one was on the 3rd November saying they are currently making a shortlist and the applicants will be contacted as quickly as possible so fingers crossed

Slipper

Hi all. I've been placed into the talent pool-going for Cardiff. Does anyone know or have any idea when courses start in new year? Supose it's still a bit chaotic with covid and change to Welsh Gov.
I passed the DMI at the beginning of September, from the March 2020 application. I asked about potential course start dates and was told the plan was to start a course every month in 2021. Not sure if covid will affect this mind, and I haven't found anything official to back this up, just word of mouth. Maybe those starting in November may be able to glean some more info. I think they only start about 8 at a time due to classroom space etc, but again don't quote me on that.

Mrt83

I passed the DMI at the beginning of September, from the March 2020 application. I asked about potential course start dates and was told the plan was to start a course every month in 2021. Not sure if covid will affect this mind, and I haven't found anything official to back this up, just word of mouth. Maybe those starting in November may be able to glean some more info. I think they only start about 8 at a time due to classroom space etc, but again don't quote me on that.
Hi. Congrats on passing. At the MMI was told the same about every month and 8 per course, but at DMI was told there was nothing solid in place. Not sure how much covid and Welsh gov switch will affect plans. I guess it's just a waiting game now. Hopefully it wont be too long.