• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Diedinium

Shrewsbury, but I sent an email saying I'm available for all depots.
Interesting that they're (potentially) putting through more candidates for Shrewsbury, I'm currently waiting for a new interview date for that depot, so hopefully this is a positive sign that they're building up more candidates to run a round of interviews.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InkyScrolls

Interesting that they're (potentially) putting through more candidates for Shrewsbury, I'm currently waiting for a new interview date for that depot, so hopefully this is a positive sign that they're building up more candidates to run a round of interviews.
Fingers crossed, and good luck!

karl grindrod

I have my computer assessment on the 15th of December

Amazing, well done
Nice one, cheers pal! Best of luck with your assessments... hope you smash it!!

well Done m8,, when did you sit your MMI, A colleague is waiting on MMI results and wasn't confident at all of passing when I spoke to them, I tried to reassure that a lot of people feel the same after MMI,
What Depot are you In for ?
I did mine on the 30th of November, hope it works out wellfor your mate. I'm applying for Chester depot.

Badge3226

I interviewed last Monday, nothing heard yet. Refreshed my emails in the region of 3000 times so far today

farrerr

Interviewed last Monday, disappointed I was unsuccessful this time.
The feedback is generic so not really much help moving forward. Will have to try again in 6months

Rigvon

Interviewed last Monday, disappointed I was unsuccessful this time.
The feedback is generic so not really much help moving forward. Will have to try again in 6months
Ah I’m so sorry. Just get ready to apply again.

Was there anything helpful in the feedback at all?

Simotrfc

B
I have my interview coming up, any tips you can give is guys? Anyone else here interviewed for the Chester depot yet?
Research traction, routes, future plans, company history & prepare answers to the obvious questions. Why do you want to be a train driver, why should we pick you out of the hundreds we have etc Good luck

Rigvon

I have my computer assessment and (fingers crossed I pass) MMI tomorrow. Any advice or anything to focus on?

Diedinium

I have my computer assessment and (fingers crossed I pass) MMI tomorrow. Any advice or anything to focus on?
They will press you on a few things in the MMI, I think to try and see if you change your answer under pressure - I was really pressed on how I'd respond to an emergency situation and especially if someone was challenging my response (for example, questioning if emergency services need to be called), I stuck to my sensible answer. I was also really pressed on maintaining focus for long periods of time, so be prepared to talk about how you maintain focus, even when doing repetitive tasks... I'm sure my responses were terrible, but I passed the MMI so must've done something right lol

Also, don't feel like you did something wrong if they give you hypotheticals in the MMI as well, my situations were clearly not dramatic enough for a few of them so I was asked how I'd respond to a few made up situations..

Badge3226

The tests are what they are, pretty hard to give any real ‘guidance’ as I believe them to be either a ‘Youve either got it or you haven’t’ situation or a bit of luck.

In hindsight the only thing I’d advise is that during the 40 - 60 minutes between the tests and the possible MMI, try not to dwell too much on your test performance. Use the time to formulate some good answers for your pre written MMI questions

The MMI itself is simply an interview as far as I’m concerned… A lot is made of it like it’s something different, I don’t really see how. Like any interview, you’re given a question, you provide an answer, and elaborate as asked

karl grindrod

B

Research traction, routes, future plans, company history & prepare answers to the obvious questions. Why do you want to be a train driver, why should we pick you out of the hundreds we have etc Good luck
Nice one, cheers for that mate..... I'll look into those. Final hurdle... getting nervous now!!

Rigvon

So I passed the computer assessment today and progressed to the MMI. Will be at least a week’s wait now to find out if I passed that.

Last edited:

Rigvon

Hey well done.

How was it?? Waiting to do my computer assesments. Was it tough??
I must say I found it very intense. I was convinced I’d failed it.

My biggest piece of advice is to try and stay calm and focused. At one point I had to remind myself to breathe during the grey square test! I also pressed the button incorrectly purely down to nerves.

The MMI felt more comfortable for me but it’s hard to tell as I don’t know if my non rail related examples showcase enough of what they’re looking for.

Leavesontrack

I must say I found it very intense. I was convinced I’d failed it.

My biggest piece of advice is to try and stay calm and focused. At one point I had to remind myself to breathe during the grey square test! I also pressed the button incorrectly purely down to nerves.

The MMI felt more comfortable for me but it’s hard to tell as I don’t know if my non rail related examples showcase enough of what they’re looking for.
sounds like you did alright...

Baiton20

I did, replied back in 4 mins. So we'll see if there's a space
If you haven’t got a date within 4 minutes then I’d be surprised.

The whole first come first served system is really strange. I thought they would have scored the initial application forms and then offered places for Paper Assessments based on the scores.

I can never reply to my emails that quickly as I don’t have access to my phone whilst at work. I’d be amazed if I get offered a date…

liam3131

I’ll try to reply to you all in one. My start date is 9th January for Crewe depot, medical is approx 10 days after dmi.

Dmi I wouldn’t say is as hard as the mmi but an interview nonetheless. They will comfort you as best they can just don’t get flustered and concentrate on what your saying.

Obviously research the company well, units, routes, and their projects for future. They will ask questions like who is part of the wider team and who are the customers. How to deal with shift work is also another question so think about how you will answer them.
Hi, did you get offered a start date straight away or were you put into the talent pool first? I found out on Monday that I passed the DMI and have gone into the talent pool awaiting a training course to come up.

Congratulations also and hope your training goes well.

Badge3226

Hi, did you get offered a start date straight away or were you put into the talent pool first? I found out on Monday that I passed the DMI and have gone into the talent pool awaiting a training course to come up.

Congratulations also and hope your training goes well.

What depot have you gone for?

I too found out I passed DMI on Monday and went into the talent pool, but was today given a date for medical and provisional start date for late Feb.

I’m sure it all comes down to which depot, available course places/available instructors etc

liam3131

What depot have you gone for?

I too found out I passed DMI on Monday and went into the talent pool, but was today given a date for medical and provisional start date for late Feb.

I’m sure it all comes down to which depot, available course places/available instructors etc
I've gone for Crewe, what about you?

Oh that's good news then, hope it all goes well.

TAE2022

Holyhead.

Cheers mate, same to you
Morning, apologies for jumping in on your conversation and congratulations on your successful DMI. Where is your medical taking place, is it a local area around North Wales or would it be up in Chester again ?