• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport Scotland Rail 2014 consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this:

Scotland’s rail plans ‘should look at opportunities on Carstairs line’

http://www.rail.co/2011/11/30/scotl...dium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Railco+(rail.co)

Basically:

• Use 170s to run fast, sub-1hr services EDB-GLC via Shotts; possible electrification to reduce journey time even more
  • Shift Carstairs north to make it a "railhead" for towns in Upper Clydesale + Western Borders
  • Remodel Carstairs junction to remove the 15mph speed restriction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
[*]Remodel Carstairs junction to remove the 15mph speed restriction
[/LIST]

Reopen the old south connection at Carstairs and you should be fine, you can see the embankment of it from the current formation. That should shave 2-3 minutes of a journey I reckon, it trains over it could run at much higher speeds too!

tbtc

Veteran Member

http://www.rail.co/2011/11/30/scotl...dium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Railco+(rail.co)

Basically:

• Use 170s to run fast, sub-1hr services EDB-GLC via Shotts; possible electrification to reduce journey time even more
  • Shift Carstairs north to make it a "railhead" for towns in Upper Clydesale + Western Borders

The Shotts line is ideal for electrification (already electrified from Glasgow to Holytown and from Kirknewton to Edinburgh).

Carstairs would make a good interchange, where London/Birmingham/Manchester services to Glasgow could connect with an EMU to Edinburgh (and vice versa with WCML services to Edinburgh connecting to a Glasgow bound EMU)

LE Greys

Established Member

Basically:

Reopen the old south connection at Carstairs and you should be fine, you can see the embankment of it from the current formation. That should shave 2-3 minutes of a journey I reckon, it trains over it could run at much higher speeds too!

I'd add a "triangle" service, Edinburgh-Carlisle-Glasgow, giving Lockerbie an hourly service. An alternative would be to stop the TPX services at Lockerbie and Carstairs, giving an hourly service between the two. The remodelling makes a lot of sense. You would need one bridge, but the chord is basically unobstructed. Why they did not keep it an pull up the current curve is a mystery to me.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I'd add a "triangle" service, Edinburgh-Carlisle-Glasgow, giving Lockerbie an hourly service. An alternative would be to stop the TPX services at Lockerbie and Carstairs, giving an hourly service between the two. The remodelling makes a lot of sense. You would need one bridge, but the chord is basically unobstructed. Why they did not keep it an pull up the current curve is a mystery to me.

Agreed - good ideas and lots of benefits.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
indeed, that too is my understanding! a bit of good news rail wise to end 2011. The only thing that would better it is if Bombardia are offered the design and build, a little something to keep them going til sprinter/pacer/313/314/315 replacement starts

Nym

Established Member
*cough* Olympics £3,300 Million *cough*

How much track could that have electrified? I'm sure it would be enough to kill pacers...

kylemore

How much track could that have electrified? I'm sure it would be enough to kill pacers...

Exactly, for sports haters like me this is an obscene amount to spend on a two week event. I just don't get it - some doughball throws a stick 0.5 of a mm further than some other doughball - uh!?
If it's ok to spend this money on such a momumental waste of time then not only is ok to spend £100m on new sleepers we should spend another £100m Gold Plating the taps on the wash basins!:lol:

tbtc

Veteran Member

...but the Olympic money wasn't taken from a rail budget.

We are spending £100m from rail budgets on new sleeper vehicles (a loss making service), which would be almost enough to replace half the Pacer fleet. Seems slightly dodgy priorities to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.