• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel Incident Report issued by Arriva

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialK

I'm freaking out!

I stupidly boarded a train after work without purchasing a ticket. I didn't leave enough time to queue for a ticket and just assumed I would be able to purchase a ticket on board.

There weren't any inspectors on board so I fully intended to purchase a ticket at the arrival station. However, before I was able to do so, I was stopped and asked to produce a ticket. When I explained the situation and asked if I could please purchase a ticket now, I was advised that this was not possible. I was then asked for some personal information and was issued a travel incident report. I was then advised that I would receive a letter in the post asking me to explain my version of events.

It's only when I've got home and done some research that I've realised the severity of the situation. I have NEVER broken the law before and always follow the rules so I am freaking out.

I am hoping that I will asked to pay a sum of money, does anyone know what this might be? The train I got was a Trans Pennine train.

Or could it be more severe than this? I have never so much as got a parking ticket so this has really rattled me. Will I get a criminal record? I have spent the last three hours researching and drafting a letter in preparation. I am really panicking. Do I have reason to do so?

It's safe to say I will NEVER travel without a ticket again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I stupidly boarded a train after work without purchasing a ticket. I didn't leave enough time to queue for a ticket and just assumed I would be able to purchase a ticket on board.
It sounds like you boarded without a ticket at a station that facilities for purchasing a ticket. As you probably now know, this is not allowed and may leave you liable to a prosecution under either the Railway Byelaws or the Regulation of Railways Act. In the worst case this could result in a fine of up to £1,000.

Don't worry though, there is almost zero chance of a fine that high, and it is more likely than not that you will be able to settle the matter with the TOC (train operating company) without having to go to court at all. Typically the settlement would be for something like £100 plus the fare due.

When the TOC writes to you, let us know so that we can advise you how best to respond.

SpecialK

Thank you so much for your reply.

If I pay the settlement, which of course I will, will I avoid a criminal record?

Also, do you know how long I will have to wait for the letter please?

I've read online that the member of staff who stopped me could have given me the opportunity to pay, but he didnt. Was I just unlucky that he wouldn't let me?

Thank you very much for your help :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1) yes
2) difficult to say
3) depends where you were; in general yes. But if it was a Leeds then it's quite common at this moment.

SpecialK

Thank you.

Will they always offer a settlement as the first port of call? Really hoping it isn't £1,000! Yikes.

najaB

Veteran Member
It won't be - the following from @najaB should be regarded as something of an exaggeration!
I would have written "it won't be that high" but couldn't since that is what the law allows for. The odds of it being that high are near-indistinguishable from zero.

some bloke

Established Member
do you know how long I will have to wait for the letter please?
They have a maximum of six months to "lay the information before the court or make the complaint", and after that, it could be some more time before you got a summons.

Theoretically the first thing you get could be a court summons rather than a letter, but normally people get a letter significantly before six months. It's sensible for the company to ask your view so they don't waste resources.
Will they always offer a settlement as the first port of call? Really hoping it isn't £1,000! Yikes.
The settlement and the £1000 relate to different things.

@najaB is talking about £1000 as the maximum fine that a court could impose (but clearly yours is far from the most serious type of case - see link below). The court would take someone's income into account.

@Bletchleyite is talking about £100 plus fare as a possible out-of-court settlement. This is supposed to be related to the level of admin/investigation expenses by the company, which wouldn't be vast for a bit of paperwork and a couple of letters.

If you are interested in the magistrates' guidelines for levels of fines, this relates to the worse offence (ie Regulation of Railways Act, intent not to pay a fare) which you aren't guilty of:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.u...court/item/railway-fare-evasion-revised-2017/

SpecialK

Thank you all for your advice.

The same individuals were checking tickets again today so I asked to speak with one of them just to clarify things a little. He said not to worry and in cases such as mine they tend to ask for approximately £20 plus the fare of the journey that I didn't pay. I'm not sure if this is accruate figure wise but he really put my mind at rest.

I'm happy to pay something, serves me right. I certainly won't be making that mistake again.

When the letter arrives, please could I seek some further advise from you with regards to my reply?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When the letter arrives, please could I seek some further advise from you with regards to my reply?

Of course. Post back when you get the letter. You're best to post a copy of the letter with any personal or data that could identify you removed.

SpecialK

Hello all

I thought I'd just post a quick update.

So the letter arrived two days ago and it just asked me to pay what the ticket would have cost, £7.40. Obviously very relieved but also really don't understand why they didn't just let me pay on the day when I tried to.

Ive paid it and since that day I have left enough time to buy a ticket and won't make the same mistake again.

Thank you all for your help and reassurance :)

mikeg

Established Member
For once they have been reasonable. Let's hope this is the start of a trend.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello all

I thought I'd just post a quick update.

So the letter arrived two days ago and it just asked me to pay what the ticket would have cost, £7.40. Obviously very relieved but also really don't understand why they didn't just let me pay on the day when I tried to.

Ive paid it and since that day I have left enough time to buy a ticket and won't make the same mistake again.

Thank you all for your help and reassurance :)
Thanks for update and info - you got a good result, that was sensible for both parties. For future ref given that this was work, if your work patterns make sense to get one, a season ticket might be a good option for you - bearing in mind you can use them on non work days for leisure travel too on the same route including to / from intermediate stations, and on different train company services on the same route usually.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Because you are now known to them and if you get caught again they won't be so lenient. As you say you will never do it again you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.