• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling beyond boundary of GM Wayfarer ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
I will be travelling in a couple of weeks time from Chesterfield to Chorley, then travelling by bus to Wigan and returning from Wigan via Manchester to Chesterfield.

I have had it confirmed by both East Midlands Trains and Transpennine Express via Twitter that I can buy a Chesterfield to Grindleford day return ticket and TfGM Wayfarer at the same time from Chesterfield Station. I am not convinced that Chesterfield Station will issue me with a TfGM Wayfarer ticket though, has anyone bought one from there before. I tried to buy a Wayfarer last year at Sheffield Station, and they, quite curtly stated they would not sell me one and told me to buy one on the train!

I have also had it confirmed by both East Midlands Trains AND Transpennine Express that I can travel on the Sheffield-Manchester expresses even though they don’t call at Grindleford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I will be travelling in a couple of weeks time from Chesterfield to Chorley, then travelling by bus to Wigan and returning from Wigan via Manchester to Chesterfield.

I have had it confirmed by both East Midlands Trains and Transpennine Express via Twitter that I can buy a Chesterfield to Grindleford day return ticket and TfGM Wayfarer at the same time from Chesterfield Station. I am not convinced that Chesterfield Station will issue me with a TfGM Wayfarer ticket though, has anyone bought one from there before. I tried to buy a Wayfarer last year at Sheffield Station, and they, quite curtly stated they would not sell me one and told me to buy one on the train!

I have also had it confirmed by both East Midlands Trains AND Transpennine Express that I can travel on the Sheffield-Manchester expresses even though they don’t call at Grindleford.
If they won't issue the GM Wayfarer at Chesterfield, you'd be entitled, in my view, to board the service and to ask the guard onboard to buy the Wayfarer from them. It's not your fault that they aren't providing you with proper ticketing facilities.

A Wayfarer plus any other ticket is indeed valid for non-stop splitting, due to the Wayfarer being a kind of ranger, thus qualifying for such splits under the NRCoT.

_toommm_

Established Member
Unfortunately Sheffield are a law unto their own when it comes to advances/anything other than a day return - they've refused to sell me a Cheshire Day Ranger before, then when speaking to the guard, he told me 'Cheshire? This us South Yorkshire - of course you can't buy it here'

ChrisC

Established Member

I have always found ticket office staff at Chesterfield very helpful and co-operative when buying various split tickets from there. The staff one stop down the line at Alfreton are usually even better.
So many Day Return journeys, from both Chesterfield and Alfreton are cheaper when split at Sheffield and the ticket office staff are used to people doing this. I was once congratulated for doing my homework and saving pounds by one member of staff at Chesterfield.

Statto

Established Member
Here's one using the GM Wayfarer splitting with another ticket, Merseytravel issued ENCTS disabled pass, i know my Merseytravel pass is valid Liverpool to Newton Le Willows, & GM Wayfarer valid from Earlestown to Manchester, on TPE services is the split only valid on TPEs that stop at Newton Le Willows, as some stop alternatively at Lea Green & don't stop at Newton Le Willows?

sheff1

Established Member
Here's one using the GM Wayfarer splitting with another ticket, Merseytravel issued ENCTS disabled pass, i know my Merseytravel pass is valid Liverpool to Newton Le Willows, & GM Wayfarer valid from Earlestown to Manchester, on TPE services is the split only valid on TPEs that stop at Newton Le Willows, as some stop alternatively at Lea Green & don't stop at Newton Le Willows?

There has been quite a bit of discussion about overlapping tickets before. To me, NRCoT 14.1 does not cover such cases and hence the combination would not be valid on a train which did not stop at either Earlestown or Newton-le-Willows. Others disagree.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I attempted to buy a GM Wayfarer yesterday in conjunction with a return to Grindleford.

Of course, this was Sheffield, so the ticket office refused and cited 'Greater Manchester tells us off when we do it, it's all propaganda' which goes down as the oddest reason I've ever had for a non sale.

TPE guard sold as requested.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I attempted to buy a GM Wayfarer yesterday in conjunction with a return to Grindleford.

Of course, this was Sheffield, so the ticket office refused and cited 'Greater Manchester tells us off when we do it, it's all propaganda' which goes down as the oddest reason I've ever had for a non sale.

Haha, that's a brilliant "excuse".

_toommm_

Established Member

Propaganda? Are you sure you were in Sheffield, not Soviet Russia?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:frown: Have now heard back from TransPennine Express on this. Their response was essentially to ask that I purchase two off-peak singles ?!

Further helpful response from TransPennine Express (me asking whether Clause 14.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel applies, and therefore whether an off-peak day return between Wigan Stations and Preston (Lancs) would indeed be valid in conjunction with a GM Wayfarer ticket) ...

"Unfortunately, TransPennine Express does not run a service that stops at any Wigan station. We run a direct service between Manchester Piccadilly and Preston so we would only sell a ticket for that service. If you would like to go via any Wigan station, you will need to purchase a separate journey ticket for a service that runs from Wigan to Preston."

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Further helpful response from TransPennine Express (me asking whether Clause 14.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel applies, and therefore whether an off-peak day return between Wigan Stations and Preston (Lancs) would indeed be valid in conjunction with a GM Wayfarer ticket) ...

"Unfortunately, TransPennine Express does not run a service that stops at any Wigan station. We run a direct service between Manchester Piccadilly and Preston so we would only sell a ticket for that service. If you would like to go via any Wigan station, you will need to purchase a separate journey ticket for a service that runs from Wigan to Preston."
Broken English to boot ;)

There's no point asking them whether Condition 14.2 "applies". It does, and that's that!

Kite159

Veteran Member
They don't like it as they will get zero revenue from a Wigan - Preston ticket and a small amount from the GM product

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They don't like it as they will get zero revenue from a Wigan - Preston ticket and a small amount from the GM product
Indeed they might well not like it... Unfortunately for them, not liking it doesn't entitle them to cause issues with its use, nor does it give them a free pass to commit misinformation-icide as they have done in their response there.

Llandudno

Established Member
Just tested the add on ticket to a Wayfarer ticket on express services and it worked!

Went to Chesterfield Station to buy a day return to Grindleford - no problem.
Asked for a TfGM Wayfarer, clerk had no idea, tried to sell a Derbyshire Wayfarer. I suggested she entered GM6 on her ticket machine, and, hey presto ticket issued! (Try doing this at Sheffield Booking Office!)

Boarded fast EMT train (not stopping but travelling through Grindleford) showed both tickets to the guard - no comment, no problem.

Returning home on the Transpennine Express train, showed both tickets to the guard, again no comment, no problem?

So a successful day!
Got a surly grunt from an Arriva Bus driver in Chorley when presenting my Wayfarer ticket to board the 362 to Wigan though!

Statto

Established Member
Just tested the add on ticket to a Wayfarer ticket on express services and it worked!

Went to Chesterfield Station to buy a day return to Grindleford - no problem.
Asked for a TfGM Wayfarer, clerk had no idea, tried to sell a Derbyshire Wayfarer. I suggested she entered GM6 on her ticket machine, and, hey presto ticket issued! (Try doing this at Sheffield Booking Office!)

Boarded fast EMT train (not stopping but travelling through Grindleford) showed both tickets to the guard - no comment, no problem.

Returning home on the Transpennine Express train, showed both tickets to the guard, again no comment, no problem?

So a successful day!
Got a surly grunt from an Arriva Bus driver in Chorley when presenting my Wayfarer ticket to board the 362 to Wigan though!

Did your GM Wayfarer have Rail Ranger in block capitals printed on the ticket, which could be the reason for the surly grunt, as i've had a few queries by bus drivers using Rail issued GM Wayfarers because of that, until i point out it's a GM Wayfarer?

Llandudno

Established Member
The Credit Card sized rail ticket did state GM Wayfarer

I suspect that as I boarded the bus in Lancashire (Chorley) the driver hadn’t a clue whether the ticket was valid or not!

I have been issued with a ‘bog roll’ ticket on occasions and they state Rail Ranger, which, of course, adds to the confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.