• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling by train Penzance to Seaford and return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Writing this on behalf of an autistic friend aged 19, almost 'family', who is undertaking this trip in July, by train. I'm only seeking advice on her behalf on certain aspects of this journey, which is a daunting one for her, but she is determined to make it.

First of all, what is non-negotiable is that the journey will be made via London, Paddington, and that the Circle Line between there and Victoria will form part of the routeing.

She has only ever been on the 'tube' once, when she was aged about six.

I can instruct her on everything required up to arriving at Victoria Station, but seek advice after she's entered the mainline station on the 'Sussex' side. I am assuming that she will hold 'through' tickets, including for the Underground journey.

So far as I can see, she will have to take a Brighton train and change there. Can anyone tell me which platform a faster Brighton train might leave from, and how frequent they are in the middle of the day? Once she arrives at Brighton station, what is the position? It's getting on for fifty years since I was last there! Will she have to go through a ticket barrier on getting off the train from London? How will a train for Seaford be described, and which platform will it be likely to operate from?

One last thing, as it's four years since I was at Paddington. Is the Circle/District Line station still prominent when you get off the GWR? Have to ask, with Crossrail works and the likelihood ( :) ) that it will be open by then. I shall instruct her well as to which lines and entrances to avoid!

Thanks in advance, but I'll just reiterate: Reading/Gatwick or London Bridge, for heaven's sake. are not in the equation!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'll answer as regards the last part of the journey, if I may, assuming here that the interchange for a Seaford train is at Brighton rather than Lewes.

Trains from Brighton to Seaford will have a destination of Seaford (as it's the end of the line) and usually depart from any of platforms 6, 7 or 8 at Brighton.

Approximately half hourly departures during the day at xx11 and xx41.

Shouldn't have to go through any barriers at Brighton if arriving on a train from London.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Can anyone tell me which platform a faster Brighton train might leave from, and how frequent they are in the middle of the day?
Brighton trains from Victoria are Gatwick Express services (except on Sunday) and will usually be platformed in platform 13 or 14. They run half hourly through the day.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
She also has the hourly option of getting the train to Hastings and changing at Lewes. No barriers between platforms there.

I can't quite remember because I usually go out at Brighton anyway, but I think there are some changes that require going out of the barriers.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One last thing, as it's four years since I was at Paddington. Is the Circle/District Line station still prominent when you get off the GWR?
Yes, definitely - straight ahead on the concourse as ever. Crossrail hasn't changed that.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Pretty sure that the easiest way is to get a Victoria train to Lewes and change there for Seaford.
Brighton has many more trains, platforms, and people, to confuse anyone not accustomed to it.

Veteran Member
She also has the hourly option of getting the train to Hastings and changing at Lewes. No barriers between platforms there.

But a footbridge, and then a platform which has trains to different destinations making brief stops. Easier to use Brighton where the train starts, and she simply has to look for Seaford on the departure board and go to the specified platform.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But a footbridge, and then a platform which has trains to different destinations making brief stops. Easier to use Brighton where the train starts, and she simply has to look for Seaford on the departure board and go to the specified platform.

True. I suppose it depends whether that or barriers are more of a problem.

Reliablebeam

I've done this journey from GWR land (albeit Oxfordshire) a couple of times. The National Rail route planner reccomends change at Lewes - as others have said it's a slightly quirky station although doesn't strike me as a 'dodgy' one and seems decently staffed. I've only had 'via Reading' reccomended when there's railworks on.

It might be worth making sure she takes care which underground train she gets on at Paddington - remind her not to get on District line services to Wimbledon as I take it she doesn't fancy the Earl's Court change even if it's quicker. A Circle line via Victoria will show up *eventually* but the live information board and the announcements can be variable quality. I flag this up as I've seen people get upset and flustered in the past....

Bishopstone

Established Member
In the circumstances, Brighton is the easier change. The connection at Lewes onto the Seaford branch train is very tight in the Down direction (3-4 minutes); requires a relatively lengthy walk across the bridge, and is frequently broken due to late running.

Watch the timetable for your friend, as whilst Brighton-Seaford is generally a half-hourly service throughout the day, there are a couple of gaps where odd trains turn short at Newhaven Harbour. This situation will persist with the May timetable change.

stuu

Established Member
I would have thought that anyone inexperienced who is daunted by this journey would be miles better off going to Farringdon rather than Victoria - there is only one possible platform that the train will be leaving from, and you can see it from the Underground. All trains from the H&C platforms go there too, so there is no need to worry about getting on the wrong train. It's a bit slower but Victoria is a hectic environment most hours of the day, and it's not the most intuitive layout either

Gathursty

Established Member
I would have thought that anyone inexperienced who is daunted by this journey would be miles better off going to Farringdon rather than Victoria - there is only one possible platform that the train will be leaving from, and you can see it from the Underground. All trains from the H&C platforms go there too, so there is no need to worry about getting on the wrong train. It's a bit slower but Victoria is a hectic environment most hours of the day, and it's not the most intuitive layout either
Farringdon to me is very enclosed and the platforms are relatively narrow with much footfall so I can see how it could be too much for some people.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No, the friend she is going to see has told her she has to get to Victoria via the Circle Line. At Victoria she can make sure she has got the right train by enquring of staff before she gets on, and ask another passenger if she's still not sure. Brighton being the terminus is another big plus. If all goes well, this could be a big step in integrating her into the type of travel which most of us can easily cope with without undue alarm. Also, if the Elizabeth Line has recently opened Farringdon will be a lot busier than at present, with many confused passengers even among the native population!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Watch the timetable for your friend, as whilst Brighton-Seaford is generally a half-hourly service throughout the day, there are a couple of gaps where odd trains turn short at Newhaven Harbour. This situation will persist with the May timetable change.
Which departures from Brighton (and days of the week) are these?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As of the new timetable later this month, the missing departures from Brighton (to Seaford) are the 12.11 and 21.11, M-F.
Thanks for clarifying. Obviously, these two services won't have 'Seaford' as the train's destination.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thanks for clarifying. Obviously, these two services won't have 'Seaford' as the train's destination.
And, almost certainly, will fall outside the time period when my friend will be travelling, but it's good to have that information available. I'll try to ensure I'm available by phone to her from the period when her train arrives at Paddington until she reaches Seaford (though I wouldn't be surprised if she gets met at Brighton.)

Status
Not open for further replies.