• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling from Kings Cross to Heathrow 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethadine82

On Moderation
I need to get from Kings cross mainline to Heathrow airport during peak hours.
I have oyster PAYG and YP railcard
The cheapest way but most congested way would be taking the picadilly line, but that would be nearly an hour and I would be standing for most part.
Heathrow express is too expensive
How about heathrow connect or a FGW to Hayes and Harlington station then onto the 140 bus.
Price is important but don't mind paying a tad bit more for comfort.
I intend to buy an advance from East Coast from Peterborough to Kings cross, but if there is a cheaper way to get to Heathrow by splits then I am open to suggestions.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The other routes will not save you much time, if at all, nor will it be better off for you financially.

Buying your Peterborough ticket to Zone U1256 Londn instead of London Terminals is the cheapest way to make this journey I think, if you travel in the afternoon peak for Oyster PAYG.

Be3G

Established Member
…though for Krome1872's benefit, it is worth pointing out that if it's possible to touch in just before 4pm, a railcard-discounted off-peak Oyster journey would be charged (be it to Heathrow on the Piccadilly line or tube+train to Hayes), costing a mere £2.00.

Edit: this is, of course, assuming that the railcard has been added to the Oyster.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I also think it's unlikely you'd be standing for most of the way. 4pm is well before the height of the peak hour, and trains on the Piccadilly line southbound at Kings Cross shouldn't yet be that crowded - it is the first station on the line in central London, after all.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
GN to Finsbury Park and Picc from there? Easier interchange and practically guaranteed a seat on the tube.

pethadine82

On Moderation
Well the best fare would be from PBO to Zone 1256.
I love the print @ home feature but am guessing that the Travelcard aspect would be a standard ticket.

Does anyone know the average journey time from Kings cross to Paddington change onto Heathrow connect then the 140 bus from hayes to Heathrow central.
The Piccadilly line is very slow and very hot but if it is quicker then I could sweat it out. My only refresh is that between Barron's Court and Hounslow west it is open air.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It will not be quicker to take rail services to Hayes & Harlington then the 140 bus compared to the Piccadilly Line direct. I would allow myself 20 minutes from King's Cross St Pancras to Paddington, a further 30 minutes to get to Hayes & Harlington including interchange at Paddington, and then the bus, which is not going to get to the airport in 10 minutes. But then you have to allow time for delays and missed connections, then time for finding your way around, and then time for waiting for the bus which could bunch, etc.

Unless you are prepared to pay for Heathrow Express, or at least Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and the airport (£3.90 single with Railcard), the Piccadilly Line is an unbeatable option.

pethadine82

On Moderation
I did not realise that it would only cost £3.90 from hayes and Harlington with YP discount. I have already saved on East Coast with extension to Zone 6 , basically the travel card aspect is only a bit over £3
TFL peak fares are extortionate on oyster PAYG

Can I buy Hayes and Harlington to Heathrow ticket from Peterborough, as on the Heathrow connect its not clear which ticket office they are referring to.
If it is the one in Paddington then that might take some time and I would be better off taking the piccadilly line.

Once again thanks people for your help. I have learnt a lot of things
This group is very knowledgeable.

Squaddie

I agree with bb21: if you're travelling from Kings Cross to Heathrow then the Piccadilly Line is by far the best option, regardless of price. You shouldn't be even considering any other way of getting there.

The train will be busy, but it's likely that you'll get a seat at Holborn when a lot of people leave the train to change to the central line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I need to get from Kings cross mainline to Heathrow airport during peak hours.
I have oyster PAYG and YP railcard
The cheapest way but most congested way would be taking the picadilly line, but that would be nearly an hour and I would be standing for most part.
You'll probably be seated by Green Park (if not earlier), as there is a high turnover of passengers, especially at stations like Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Green Park.

Searle

Established Member
Yes, you can buy the ticket from Peterborough, although I too would advise the Piccadilly line too :P

Veteran Member
If the Piccadilly is really crowded, so long as you arent in a real rush, why not get off at Barons Ct and use the District to Acton Town (Ealing branch)? OK it may be crowded too but subsurface stock won't feel so bad, and at worst you'll get a few minutes sat down at BCt.
Or if you don't have heavy bags and don't mind extra changes, start off on the Westbound H&C and go to BCt or AT that way.

Last edited:

pethadine82

On Moderation
Trying to match the trains times at paddington and then the bus etc will take longer than the pic, and more expensive as well.
I guess that's why there are so many experts on this forums.
Just wish that the piccadilly line was as fast as the victoria, central and jubilee lines in terms of acceleration and speed, which would have resulted in quicker journey times.

Once again many thanks for your expertise. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.