• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Fair enough. Maybe Megabus are carrying the main flows leaving the T1C to pick up the dribs and drabs? It's more complicated than I thought.

Teflon will be best placed to confirm that the nature of the loadings but assume that whilst Aber and Lampeter will be the main sources, there will be other people getting on at Aberaeron or various other villages that aren't served by Megabus (and never will be) as well as pensioners who will want to use their pass

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Markdvdman

Teflon will be best placed to confirm that the nature of the loadings but assume that whilst Aber and Lampeter will be the main sources, there will be other people getting on at Aberaeron or various other villages that aren't served by Megabus (and never will be) as well as pensioners who will want to use their pass

Doesn't the regular T1 service service those stops anyway, as the T1C is a one per day (not Sunday / Bank Holiday Monday) extension?

I could be wrong no time to check at the moment..

Smuggler

Irritated to see the T1C not run between Cardiff and Swansea yesterday. First okay'd it from Swansea to Carmarthen; but suggested passengers use the X10 from Cardiff to Swansea...

..which of course, happens to run 5 minutes before the T1C. I would have thought First running before the subsidised service may carry some leakage to Swansea.

adey2011

Traws Cymru have announced that from Saturday 8th July all Saturday and Sunday vehicles operating on services T1, T1c, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6 AND T9 will be free and will continue to be so until May 2018. Operators who could suffer where they operate commercial services over parts of any of the routes will be reimbursed. Additional funding is also in place to help operators to provide extra vehicles as the WAG is expecting a big increase in passenger numbers.

adey2011

Enjoy FREE travel every weekend on the TrawsCymru network!

TrawsCymru long distance buses are an ideal way of exploring Wales. From Saturday 8th July 2017 the Welsh Government is introducing free weekend travel for all on the TrawsCymru network.

The offer will allow you to travel for free on Saturdays and Sundays, with no need to book in advance.

The following services are included in the offer:-

TrawsCymru T1 Aberystwyth – Lampeter – Carmarthen;
TrawsCymru T1C Carmarthen – Swansea – Cardiff;
TrawsCymru T2 Bangor – Dolgellau – Aberystwyth;
TrawsCymru T3 Wrexham – Llangollen – Barmouth;
TrawsCymru T4 Newtown – Brecon – Cardiff;
TrawsCymru T5 Aberystwyth – Abeaeron – Cardigan – Haverfordwest;
TrawsCymru T6 Brecon – Ystradgynlais – Neath and Swansea; and
Cardiff Airport Express T9 Cardiff city centre to Cardiff Airport.
As TrawsCymru services are likely to be busier than normal on the days of the free travel promotion we may provide additional buses. Please be sure to check the destination display clearly or ask a member of staff to ensure you board the correct bus.

If you are in possession of valid Welsh Concessionary Travel pass we ask that you continue to show this to the driver as normal on the days of the promotion.

Whether you are going for a picnic, a hike, to visit a castle or go on a shopping trip, we hope you enjoy our free travel offer. Happy Weekend!

quarella

Taking advantage of the start of Traws-Cymru free travel I had a trip on the T4 Cardiff to Brecon and return this afternoon. Tickets were issued and seemed to take rather a lot of button pressing by the driver. Those who were not travelling on pensioner passes seemed unaware of the free travel. Outward journey there were around 15 to 20 passengers with those alighting at Pontypridd and Merthyr being replaced by a similar number. The return trip was full with approximately 15 standing from Brecon. About 10 alighted at Libanus but were replaced by a similar number at Storey Arms.
Highbacked Stagecoach moquette seats with twin USB charging outlets on alternate seats. 12 floor level forward facing seats, 5 tip up in wheelchair/buggy areas. 20 raised seats up 2 steps. The 5 rear seats will put most passengers heads higher than the top of the windoow. Opening windows. Wi-fi advertised but untested. Second Generation Passenger Information System.
Not too keen on the timetables on the website. Either scrolling up and down a letterbox view or downloading a PDF which lacks detail such as in the case of the T2 names of the towns and villages it is serving. Adding to the confusion it does mention Minffordd. Both of them and they are a similar distance from each end of the route. I also do not like clicking on the “View Disruptions” tab to find it is just telling me about the free travel.

Last edited:

quarella

Today I gave the T9 a try. Cardiff city centre limited pick up only to Cardiff Airport. Set down only on return. The T9 is operated by New Adventure Travel.
Didn't get off to a good start due to the Velothon closing various streets in Cardiff and beyond. The bus stop in Custom House Street nearest to Cardiff Central station had nothing to suggest it would be departing from elsewhere and the Passenger Information System was operating as normal for T9s and First Cymru's X10 to Swansea. As I was looking at the timetable and bus stop map a chap with a case arrived. Fortunately so did the driver for the NAT bus that was parked on the stop who directed the chap to the alternative bus stop in Tresylian Way and I followed.
Traws Cymru logo embossed in the headrest. 8 seats round tables at the rear + 5 across the back. Remainder of seats at lower level with wheelchair space. Like yesterday good provision of timetable leaflets. TV screen advertising flights and Digital Doris announcing arrival at Cardiff Airport bilingually. A lot of rattles. 2 passengers on outward. 2 staff boarded the return. I returned about an hour later with a bus to myself. Passenger levels normal. The return trip was able to take the usual route but the 5 minutes at the Red Dragon Centre terminus before returning to Cardiff Ctl is rather frustrating.

gazthomas

Established Member
I do wonder how Wales can fund free buses at the weekend when there are more pressing issues like adult social care, general NHS and education to contend with!

quarella

I do wonder how Wales can fund free buses at the weekend when there are more pressing issues like adult social care, general NHS and education to contend with!

Would there be some EU fund for transport they are using while they still can?

krus_aragon

Established Member

The free travel is on bus routes that are already heavily subsidised by the Welsh Government, so there's (presumably) little incremental cost.

carlberry

Established Member
The free travel is on bus routes that are already heavily subsidised by the Welsh Government, so there's (presumably) little incremental cost.

Some of them are quite popular so theres a lot of fare revenue gone. Some duplication is being provided (The T6 had a dup on Sunday for instance) which will be costly and there must have been some arrangement to cover the loss of revenue on commercial services like Cardiff-Merthyr and Swansea-Neath. I'm sure Arriva Trains wont be too happy either!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Some of them are quite popular so theres a lot of fare revenue gone. Some duplication is being provided (The T6 had a dup on Sunday for instance) which will be costly and there must have been some arrangement to cover the loss of revenue on commercial services like Cardiff-Merthyr and Swansea-Neath. I'm sure Arriva Trains wont be too happy either!
An article I saw in the Western Mail yesterday (not sure if it was yesterday's issue or not) was quoting a figure of £1million for the cost of the scheme. The article's author had observed a single-decker duplicating a double-decker on the T3 and if I recall correctly a duplicate bus working the T2 as well.

I heard a couple of drivers discussing the free weekend services on my way to work this morning and they seemed to be concerned about loss of revenue on other services (passengers buying a single/return on the other services to connect with TrawsCymru rather than the operator's day ticket they would have bought previously).

Dai Corner

Established Member
An article I saw in the Western Mail yesterday (not sure if it was yesterday's issue or not) was quoting a figure of £1million for the cost of the scheme. The article's author had observed a single-decker duplicating a double-decker on the T3 and if I recall correctly a duplicate bus working the T2 as well.

I heard a couple of drivers discussing the free weekend services on my way to work this morning and they seemed to be concerned about loss of revenue on other services (passengers buying a single/return on the other services to connect with TrawsCymru rather than the operator's day ticket they would have bought previously).

On the other hand, the additional passengers on the free services may have used other services to connect and increased revenue.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
On the other hand, the additional passengers on the free services may have used other services to connect and increased revenue.
Indeed, which I think is what the Welsh Government hope will happen as a result of the free travel scheme. I hope it all works out well.

Markdvdman

Any news on the ‘free’ weekend loadings?

Well I was on the T6 @ 9:05am from Swansea to Brecon. Two of us on until Ystradgynlais. Three got on, then a guy walked back off! Them two got off a few stops later. One guy got on at Sennybridge and that was that. They also sent ANOTHER bus!

The T4 from Brecon to Merthyr was half full much better loading.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for the response about loadings. Does not look like many people are checking out the services!

Bwsbro

Loading on the two northern routes seem to be well during this free weekends. Lloyds Coaches are operating duplicate buses on both its T2 & T3 journeys whilst Express Motors are operating its service using its 04 Decker. Which means their Metrocity is substituted onto local services

DaveHarries

Established Member
Loading on the two northern routes seem to be well during this free weekends. Lloyds Coaches are operating duplicate buses on both its T2 & T3 journeys whilst Express Motors are operating its service using its 04 Decker. Which means their Metrocity is substituted onto local services
Not bad those Metrocity buses: I had one on a T6 trip not long ago from Dan-yr-Ogof to Swansea.

Dave

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I've just noticed this BBC news report:

Areas in receipt of the 2017-18 Local Transport Network Fund are:

£100,000 for the B5129 bus corridor in Flintshire
£617,000 in Neath Port Talbot
£425,000 for TrawsCymru improvements in Powys
£600,000 for A4119 and A4059 bus corridor improvements in Rhondda Cynon Taf
£1m for bus corridors and public transport hubs in Swansea
£15,500 for junction improvements at Union Street / Broad Street in Abersychan, Torfaen.
That's rather thin on detail, does anyone here know more?

Also, Richards Bros' YJ59GFU has been painted into TrawsCymru green & white livery and I think branded TrawsCymru Connect. If so, that's a bit of a supprise since Richards Bros don't operate a TrawsCymru Connect service (suggesting one of their services is being rebranded) and it would presumably be the first time the TrawsCymru Connect brand has appeared anywhere other than timetables.

Dai Corner

Established Member
As someone who uses the X24 fairly often when at work I wonder what they mean by "junction improvements" in Abersychan. Bus priority measures I presume?

Dave

From the South East Wales Valleys Local Transport Plan

An improved junction of Union Street/Broad street with relocated lay-by and amended bus kerbs. Subsequent outline scheme development shows a signalised bus priority junction, with enhanced pedestrian crossings leading to upgraded Stops, and dedicated left turn lanes for efficient junction operation and vehicle transit, with a bias towards the X24/other bus services (up to 16 per hour) linking Varteg/Garndiffaith to Pontypool.

PeterC

Established Member
As someone who uses the X24 fairly often when at work I wonder what they mean by "junction improvements" in Abersychan. Bus priority measures I presume?

Dave
Looking at other press reports it seems to be a dedicated left turn lane and some bus stop improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.