• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can't see any connection, however a few things that would add a few minutes:-Bay 25 in Swansea bus station was in the underpass section giving a quicker exit. The speed limits along Fabian Way have been extended. Silverline served Neath Rail station, T6 Bus station. Various road "improvements" and the general increase in traffic levels.

If you look at the timetable, Neath is indented. So it leaves Aber Falls at 1405, Neath 1420 and into Swansea for 1425. Neath to Swansea in five mins? Hence why I wondered if it was Neath was served via another route and Ystradgynlais might have been the obvious place to change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quarella

If you look at the timetable, Neath is indented. So it leaves Aber Falls at 1405, Neath 1420 and into Swansea for 1425. Neath to Swansea in five mins? Hence why I wondered if it was Neath was served via another route and Ystradgynlais might have been the obvious place to change?

I see now. We appear to have been looking at opposite directions. Being more familiar with the Swansea area I was looking at the northbound service. Service 68 Coelbren - Neath does connect out of the 63 at Ystradgynlais. In the other direction it is less clear but the map on the timetable suggests 63 for Swansea and 68 for Neath.
http://www.railforums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31109&stc=1&d=1488493761

Attachments

• P1000361.jpg
    P1000361.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 42

WelshBuses93

Reports from the Stagecoach Enthusiasts Facebook group and Flickr that Stagecoach in South Wales Scania E300 YN15KGJ 28735 is currently receiving the TrawsCymru livery.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
First Cymru have announced that the T1c service will cease from June 3rd.

Perhaps now the Welsh Assembly will look at why the 701 was a commercial success and their replacement T1C service was an abject failure... and come to the conclusion that passengers and transport professionals know more than they do about what makes a successful long distance service... political dogma insisted on a low floor bus with no toilet or luggage facilities... and no service on one of the busiest days for the service (sunday)....despite users saying that it was the fact that the 701 was a COACH service that made it a success!

carlberry

Established Member
Perhaps now the Welsh Assembly will look at why the 701 was a commercial success and their replacement T1C service was an abject failure... and come to the conclusion that passengers and transport professionals know more than they do about what makes a successful long distance service... political dogma insisted on a low floor bus with no toilet or luggage facilities... and no service on one of the busiest days for the service (sunday)....despite users saying that it was the fact that the 701 was a COACH service that made it a success!

That's one possibility! I suspect a press release sometime over the next two weeks (buried under election and bridge toll news) saying that they'd bravely invested public money into extending the service however it wasn't viable as the passengers were not there etc etc etc and it was much better to subsidise the North-South wales air route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That's one possibility! I suspect a press release sometime over the next two weeks (buried under election and bridge toll news) saying that they'd bravely invested public money into extending the service however it wasn't viable as the passengers were not there etc etc etc and it was much better to subsidise the North-South wales air route.

I like a good conspiracy theory though that does seem closer to the truth :)

Suspect they wanted to fail (despite having made the investment as you say) so that they can further their integration agenda of an integrated network - you have to change from bus to train ;)

The only other genuine observation is if this is a decent money spinner, wonder why no one else has elected to operate it? That said, I guess Mid Wales would be the most obvious but would they given their role in operating the T1?

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
The only other genuine observation is if this is a decent money spinner, wonder why no one else has elected to operate it? That said, I guess Mid Wales would be the most obvious but would they given their role in operating the T1?

I hope I'm not divulging any commercially sensitive info here... but I know that before Lewis Coaches went bust the WA was paying £6.50 per pass on the 701. I also know that at least 2 operators looked at replacing Lewis's and were advised by the WA that they would be paid £4/ pass for the first 6 months and then £3.25/ pass thereafter.

As one of the operators who enquired had no other local bus services that begs the question how the WA could tell them that the payment per pass would fall to half the amount it was already paying... after all the effective average fare wouldn't have fallen would it. I smell a very large rat... the WA had been anti 701 for a very long time and had wanted to see it go away. I know some people might think I see conspiracies where there aren't any... but another evidence was the traveline cymru website. If you asked it to provide journey details from aber to cardiff leaving at 0740 it used to tell you to take the 701 to SWANSEA and then change to the X10!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I like a good conspiracy theory
If you want a conspiracy theory, perhaps they designed the T1C to be unattractive to suggest there's no demand for Aberystwyth-Cardiff so they can use it as a put-down to those campaigning for a Carmarthen-Aberystwyth rail link.

I know some people might think I see conspiracies where there aren't any... but another evidence was the traveline cymru website. If you asked it to provide journey details from aber to cardiff leaving at 0740 it used to tell you to take the 701 to SWANSEA and then change to the X10!
That's strange; was the X10 timed to reach Cardiff before the 701 though?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If you want a conspiracy theory, perhaps they designed the T1C to be unattractive to suggest there's no demand for Aberystwyth-Cardiff so they can use it as a put-down to those campaigning for a Carmarthen-Aberystwyth rail link.

Not so certain on that. Not reopening that rail line is so obvious on cost benefit grounds, you don't need to spend anything on it!!

Think it was a way of placating those who demanded the 701 return that WG can say they did it but it didn't work.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the original 701 timetable?
How 'original' is 'original'? I've attached a couple I have (at least one probably came from earlier in this topic).

Attachments

• Old 701.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 701 times sept 2014 one side.pdf
    157.8 KB · Views: 25

Smuggler

Thanks Rhydgaled, it's a long thread. I was interested in when Lewis were running the service. The tables make for good reading; thank you.

Yeah. I'd be interested in the operational statistics too. Agree with what everyone else has said on the thread about its current operation.

Even if WAG drop the ball at the start of June (highly unlikely) I would still have thought an ambitious operator would be willing to take a run up at it.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I'd be interested to know how much the T1c and the 701 each cost the taxpayer.

I don't know what the contract price is for the T1C but the 701 was a wholly commercial service. It received no subsidy. All it received in funding was the going rate of BSOG/ mile which ALL local bus services are entitled to and then the going rate of payment for services provided for each journey made with a concessionary pass.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I don't know what the contract price is for the T1C but the 701 was a wholly commercial service. It received no subsidy. All it received in funding was the going rate of BSOG/ mile which ALL local bus services are entitled to and then the going rate of payment for services provided for each journey made with a concessionary pass.

Indeed. I'm just wondering how the T1C contract price compared with the BSOG and concessionary pass payments.

By the way, it was claimed elsewhere that Bryan's coaches were " fit for the scrap yard, and with a disgusting exterior presentation." I never had the chance to see or ride on one but that seems a very unkind comment.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
By the way, it was claimed elsewhere that Bryan's coaches were " fit for the scrap yard, and with a disgusting exterior presentation." I never had the chance to see or ride on one but that seems a very unkind comment.

I don't know where you read that comment, but it is both true and untrue. Certainly the regular service coaches were "end of life" but they certainly weren't sheds. obviously being 18-20 yr old vehicles they had their problems, not helped by being used on a very punishing service.

I said it was also a true comment... once the proprietor had taken the decision to retire he quite frankly stopped spending money on the vehicles... only spending what money he HAD to to keep them going, and yes, the outward appearance did suffer. The biggest problem with the presentation of the coaches was that they never received a repaint out of their previous owners colours.

Of course with only 2 service coaches and 2 workings mon-sat and 1 on sun, it was common for one of the 2 tour coaches to be deputised... these certainly weren't sheds... both had only 32 seats and a fully fitted galley.. one (A2FTG) was originally a team coach for a top flight football club (can't remember which one) and was "the bee's knees" inside and out. It might interest people to know that this vehicle was sold on e-bay and sold to an operator in, of all places.... Botswana!

Dai Corner

Established Member
I don't know where you read that comment, but it is both true and untrue. Certainly the regular service coaches were "end of life" but they certainly weren't sheds. obviously being 18-20 yr old vehicles they had their problems, not helped by being used on a very punishing service.

I said it was also a true comment... once the proprietor had taken the decision to retire he quite frankly stopped spending money on the vehicles... only spending what money he HAD to to keep them going, and yes, the outward appearance did suffer. The biggest problem with the presentation of the coaches was that they never received a repaint out of their previous owners colours.

Of course with only 2 service coaches and 2 workings mon-sat and 1 on sun, it was common for one of the 2 tour coaches to be deputised... these certainly weren't sheds... both had only 32 seats and a fully fitted galley.. one (A2FTG) was originally a team coach for a top flight football club (can't remember which one) and was "the bee's knees" inside and out. It might interest people to know that this vehicle was sold on e-bay and sold to an operator in, of all places.... Botswana!

It was on a mailing list for those with an interest in the Welsh bus industry.

Personally, I'd rather have vehicles in their twilight years but still safe or operating in marginal time that people use than shiny new ones they don't.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It was Aston Villa - the registration gives away that it was new to Flights Travel Group

extendedpaul

If the T1C does not survive might the Welsh Assembly Government negotiate an alternative service with Stagecoach whose daily Megabus service runs a very similar route and times between Aberystwyth and Cardiff ?

Ample spare capacity on the Megabus on that section of the route.

Dai Corner

Established Member
If the T1C does not survive might the Welsh Assembly Government negotiate an alternative service with Stagecoach whose daily Megabus service runs a very similar route and times between Aberystwyth and Cardiff ?

Ample spare capacity on the Megabus on that section of the route.

Megabus seem to be generally cheaper (£8.50 - £13.50 single) and will have more comfortable vehicles. Why would anyone except very thrifty passholders use the T1C ?

Markdvdman

Megabus seem to be generally cheaper (£8.50 - £13.50 single) and will have more comfortable vehicles. Why would anyone except very thrifty passholders use the T1C ?

I use the T1c on a Friday from Cardiff to Cross Hands costing £7.15 for a single.

The Megabus does not stop at Cross Hands - unless they were to vary it accordingly if they eventually drop the T1c?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I use the T1c on a Friday from Cardiff to Cross Hands costing £7.15 for a single.

The Megabus does not stop at Cross Hands - unless they were to vary it accordingly if they eventually drop the T1c?

Fair enough. Maybe Megabus are carrying the main flows leaving the T1C to pick up the dribs and drabs? It's more complicated than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.