• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlberry

Established Member
In an idea world, although not wholly realistic, there should be all-trains or all-buses along the Conwy valley rather than the awkward mix of both at present.
The train can only serve one side of the valley. Running the train as a heritage line for tourists might be a better use of funds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bwsbro

X7 to become the TrawsCymru T7 as of January 4th 2021.

Daily operation and TrawsCymru branded vehicles will be introduced. Adventure Travel will No Longer operate this service

From the TrawsCymru Press Release
On the 4th of January 2021 the X7 TrawsHafren service will officially become part of the TrawsCymru network. As a result of this you will notice some exciting changes such as a change of route number to T7, 7 day a week operation and ticketing will be available via the TrawsCymru app. Coming soon after will be TrawsCymru branded vehicles and a pre-booking option allowing you to reserve your seat in advance of travel. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Heard a rumour that Stagecoach South Wales will be the new operator .

So the service goes from
  • Stagecoach South Wales/First West of England to Jul 2014
  • First West of England to Sep 2019
  • Stagecoach West to Jun 2020
  • New Adventure Travel to Jan 2021
  • Stagecoach South Wales....or Newport Bus....or whoever.....
If it is SSW, assume that it'll be run (as before) from Cwmbran?

DaveHarries

Established Member
So the service goes from
  • Stagecoach South Wales/First West of England to Jul 2014
  • First West of England to Sep 2019
  • Stagecoach West to Jun 2020
  • New Adventure Travel to Jan 2021
  • Stagecoach South Wales....or Newport Bus....or whoever.....
If it is SSW, assume that it'll be run (as before) from Cwmbran?
Could be. But don't Stagecoach have a depot in Newport anyway? I seem to recall hearing that they do.

Dave

carlberry

Established Member
Daily operation and TrawsCymru branded vehicles will be introduced. Adventure Travel will No Longer operate this service

From the TrawsCymru Press Release
I find it amazing that a government that couldnt be bothered trying to help bus services restart after the first lockdown and has given up on any idea of updating bus timetables on the Internet has bags of cash to splash on a service that mostly runs in England!

carlberry

Established Member
They had a depot in East Dock Road (?) which closed and the operations were mainly dispersed to Crosskeys and Cwmbran?

It'll be interesting if it is Newport Transport.
They have a nice selection of ex London tat they could turn out on it! Plus a PD2!

Dai Corner

Established Member
How dare you...some of their tat is indigenous!! It's a tribute to the power of gaffa tape.
I wonder if their battery buses (or a new order of similar but Traws.Cymru branded ones) would make it to Bristol and back 5 or 6 times on one charge? :s

Been reported that the new operator is Newport bus and new vehicles are on order
TrawsCymru have confirmed in this Facebook post

.. It will be run by Newport Bus.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
I wonder if their battery buses (or a new order of similar but Traws.Cymru branded ones) would make it to Bristol and back 5 or 6 times on one charge? :s

TrawsCymru have confirmed in this Facebook post

I found a post on a Facebook group this morning which contained a picture of an Enviro400 in allover white at the Newport Bus depot. Registration given as YX70 OLA.

Dave

Westnat

Newport will be
I found a post on a Facebook group this morning which contained a picture of an Enviro400 in allover white at the Newport Bus depot. Registration given as YX70 OLA.

Dave
Newport Transport do not intend to use the battery buses on the Bristol route.
YX70 OLA is a Dawson Rentals vehicle and is being returned to them without being used by Newport Transport.

carlberry

Established Member
Been reported that the new operator is Newport bus and new vehicles are on order
This will be the first time that 'Corporation' buses have run in Bristol, one of the few cities that never had them. I wonder if the service will now move into the bus station or carry on with the 'cheap' option on the roadside.

extendedpaul

Good news that this service is now intended to run seven days a week. I used the old X7 to see theatre matinees in Bristol, and Saturday buses were often busier than on weekdays between Chepstow and Cribbs Causeway. Becoming part of TrawsCymru will hopefully lead to greater stability in the service and provider. Chepstow to Bristol is such an awkward journey by train I think the X/T7 meets the original premise of the TrawsCymru network

If Newport Bus operate it I wonder if that will mean some or most journeys will again start/end there ? It could even be combined with the X73 which only takes about 10minutes longer between Newport and Chepstow but serves more residential areas than the X7 motorway route..

Westnat

Good news that this service is now intended to run seven days a week. I used the old X7 to see theatre matinees in Bristol, and Saturday buses were often busier than on weekdays between Chepstow and Cribbs Causeway. Becoming part of TrawsCymru will hopefully lead to greater stability in the service and provider. Chepstow to Bristol is such an awkward journey by train I think the X/T7 meets the original premise of the TrawsCymru network

If Newport Bus operate it I wonder if that will mean some or most journeys will again start/end there ? It could even be combined with the X73 which only takes about 10minutes longer between Newport and Chepstow but serves more residential areas than the X7 motorway route..
No, the service will not run from Newport.

carlberry

Established Member

One of the services biggest issues has been timekeeping and (consequently) reliability, mostly caused by the bit of the M4/M5 around Bristol. Combining it with a local bus service (as apposed to journeys that just impact people in bus stations) will just extend the unreliability (without a spare vehicle is available in Chepstow).

Dai Corner

Established Member
One of the services biggest issues has been timekeeping and (consequently) reliability, mostly caused by the bit of the M4/M5 around Bristol. Combining it with a local bus service (as apposed to journeys that just impact people in bus stations) will just extend the unreliability (without a spare vehicle is available in Chepstow).
It is combined with a local bus service in Bristol though. Running times are 25min Chepstow-Cribbs and 25min Cribbs-Marlborough Street. How many through passengers are there who wouldn't be prepared to change at Cribbs Causeway and how many new passengers would an hourly Newport-M4-Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway or half-hourly Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway service attract?

Cribbs isn't a bad place to wait if you miss your connection.

carlberry

Established Member
It is combined with a local bus service in Bristol though. Running times are 25min Chepstow-Cribbs and 25min Cribbs-Marlborough Street. How many through passengers are there who wouldn't be prepared to change at Cribbs Causeway and how many new passengers would an hourly Newport-M4-Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway or half-hourly Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway service attract?

Cribbs isn't a bad place to wait if you miss your connection.
Cribbs was the major congestion issue on the route which is why First gave up on it. It's not previously been intended to be a local bus in Bristol (however Nat did try).
I don't think the Newport journeys justified the extra costs and an hourly Chepstow-Cribbs service is already overkill, however it all depends on what the Welsh Government can afford.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Cribbs was the major congestion issue on the route which is why First gave up on it. It's not previously been intended to be a local bus in Bristol (however Nat did try).
I don't think the Newport journeys justified the extra costs and an hourly Chepstow-Cribbs service is already overkill, however it all depends on what the Welsh Government can afford.
Congestion in Bristol is pretty bad too. If they wanted to minimise costs they could drop the PVR to one and just run hourly Chepstow-Cribbs? Maybe one peak journey to/from Bristol with a bit of interworking with the Chepstow town service (though I haven't looked at that in detail).

Or just serve the workers and forget the leisure travellers using their concessionary passes to go and spend their money in England.

Westnat

It is not being combined with the existing X73. It's a stand alone subsidised service.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It is not being combined with the existing X73. It's a stand alone subsidised service.
There isn't even an X73 service running at the moment, only the 73 (via Langstone and Caerwent) and X74 (via Magor and Caldicot)

Westnat

There isn't even an X73 service running at the moment, only the 73 (via Langstone and Caerwent) and X74 (via Magor and Caldicot)
Apologies, should have checked, but the new service is not being interworked with any existing Newport Transport service, including Chepstow town services.

WelshBuses93

Timetable for the T7 (Still TrawsHafren) is now available on the Newport Bus website. Monday to Friday timetable remains the same, Saturday timetale near identical as the weekday service and a 2 hourly Sunday service with the first and last journey commencing to/ from Magor.

Attachments

• TrawsCymru T7 Timetables (03-01-21).pdf
    416.4 KB · Views: 45

-Colly405-

Timetable for the T7 (Still TrawsHafren) is now available on the Newport Bus website. Monday to Friday timetable remains the same, Saturday timetale near identical as the weekday service and a 2 hourly Sunday service with the first and last journey commencing to/ from Magor.
It is also on the TrawsCymru front page as the T7 on the 'Routes' drop-down, which takes you to one page of info (with X7 rather than T7 on the URL) which then links to both the current and revised timetables on TravelineCymru.

Status
Not open for further replies.