• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trenitalia "Pop" train carries the Giro d'Italia trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's obvious watching the stages of the 3-week Giro d'Italia cycle-race that national train operator Trenitalia is a major sponsor, with their logo plastered all over the place (including in Hungary where the race started this year).
But this week there has been a train (or more than one) in Maglia Rosa colours involved in the transport of the trophy between stage finishes.
The train(s) also managed to position themselves strategically during the race for impressive helicopter shots during the race itself.
On Tuesday the train was on the east coast north of Pescara, and today near Genoa.
The train(s) are of the "Pop" type of Alstom Coradia Stream regional trains being introduced across Italy.

It looks like quite a decent publicity event for Trenitalia.
This link is in Italian but your browser should be able to translate it to English.
On board a pink-liverized Pop train, the Trofeo Senza Fine continues its journey, which will be delivered to the winner of the Giro d'Italia 2022. The extraordinary train, set up for the twelfth stage of the 105a edition of the oldest and most prestigious Italian cycling race, will start from La Spezia and will arrive in Genoa Brignole at 14.27. The endless Trophy will then reach the point of arrival of the Genoese stage for the awards ceremony.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ta-toget

The journey of the Giro d'Italia Trophy
By train from La Spezia to Genoa
18 May 2022
Editorial staff

On board a pink-painted Pop train, the Trofeo Senza Fine (Endless Trophy), which will be presented to the winner of the Giro d'Italia 2022, continues its journey. The extraordinary train, set up for the 12th stage of the 105th edition of Italy's oldest and most prestigious cycling race, will depart from La Spezia and arrive in Genoa Brignole at 2.27pm. The Endless Trophy will then reach the finishing point of the Genoa stage for the prize-giving ceremony.

The event will be attended, on behalf of Trenitalia, by Luigi Corradi, Managing Director, Sabrina De Filippis, Director of the Regional Passenger Division, and Giovanna Braghieri, Regional Director of Liguria, together with Gianni Berrino, Transport and Tourism Councillor for the Liguria Region. On board were Paolo Bellino, Managing Director of RCS Sport, together with guests and professional cyclists.

The Trophy transfer is one of Trenitalia's initiatives for the Giro d'Italia, of which the transport company is Official Green Carrier this year.

The Endless Trophy of the Giro d'Italia 2022

For the third consecutive year, the FS Italiane Group is supporting the season of great Italian cycling, in the belief that the values of sport go hand in hand with the enhancement of the territory and sustainability. For the second year, Trenitalia is also sponsor of the Ride Green Jersey awarded to the winner of the Team Regularity Trial classification. Trenitalia is present in all the villages of the Giro d'Italia, with a stand at the departure and arrival of the various stages.

Also, this year Trenitalia is taking part with its own team of cyclists in the Giro-E, the eco-sustainable event dedicated to electric bicycles which takes place in parallel with the Pink Race and which offers cycling fans the chance to experience an exciting ride along part of the professional race route.

There are 15 Trenitalia Pops in circulation in Liguria, which together with the 14 Rock and 5 Jazz and to which another 14 will be added, are helping to improve the comfort and quality of travel for Ligurians and tourists who choose this region full of opportunities.

For lovers of bicycles - who travel free of charge on Liguria's regional trains - Trenitalia has also dedicated a travel book on cycle routes with 20 proposals for 20 cycle routes within reach of the station. Each itinerary is accompanied by photos, maps, routes, tourist and gastronomic information.

CYCLE ROUTES, 20 CYCLE ROUTES TO REACH BY TRAIN

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
It sort of seems a bit weird to me, a company like that doing such a sponsorship.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It sort of seems a bit weird to me, a company like that doing such a sponsorship.
A national railway operator sponsoring a race that visits most of the country, to promote the country, is weird? Major bike races art all about tourism and travel, something a railway operator has a big interest in!

ta-toget

A national railway operator sponsoring a race that visits most of the country, to promote the country, is weird? Major bike races art all about tourism and travel, something a railway operator has a big interest in!
I suppose it's the fact that it's the state operator, really. Though they do now have competition, I suppose.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It's a shame more of the press, sponsorship and organisational caravan of the 3 grand tours (Giro d'Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España) couldn't do more by rail, such as daily stage transfers.

(The Giro's now traditional overseas start was in Hungary, with three stages around Budapest and concluding at Lake Balaton. There were about six or seven charter flights, mostly ATR and 737, to move the entire peloton and supporting staff from Hunary to Sicilly after stage 3).

SeanG

Unfortunately it is all about time constraints - lots goes on "behind the scenes" to run the races and so whilst I agree it would be great for them to take the train, it probably wouldn't be practical.
Of course a long transfer between Hungary and Sicily doesn't help, but it makes sense in that the race should end in the north of the country for the high mountains.

Hophead

Established Member
Pretty sure ASO have used TGVs to get the Tour de France retinue back to Paris ready for the final stage.

boiledbeans2

I have no idea about the advertising, but the only thing I remember about the Pop trains were they had superb acceleration!

Some time last year, I was standing at Lingotto station in Turin, making video recordings of trains. Normally, I start the recording when the train is stationary. Once the train starts moving (and away from the camera), I start zooming-in on the train as the train becomes "smaller" in the camera's field of vision. But when I was recording the Pop train departing, my camera zoom was too slow to catch up with the departing Pop train!

I was truly impressed by the acceleration of the Pop trains, they accelerate like trams/light rail vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.