• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They are certainly places that are well worth a visit. Tenterden, in the Weald, is a lovely market town, and a good base for some scenic routes. The 12 from Maidstone, and 2 or 2A from Ashford (the 2A being particularly impressive, taking a much different route to the 2). The jewel in the crown is probably the 297 though, run by Hams Travel which gives a very scenic run all the way to Tunbridge Wells - on schooldays, one of the two all-day workings is run by a double-decker too. There’s also some interesting once-a-week shoppers buses here too.

Ashford is, in my opinion, a very boring place, but it is a good base for some interesting rural routes, such as the 1X, 2/2A, 11/a/b, 123. Good for train connections too.

I will always try to stick up for Dover though - it’s a very run down place (the high street being particularly eye-opening!) but the history here is absolutely fascinating. Not many places with a Roman Lighthouse! Some interesting walks by the docks and up to the White Cliffs too. For buses, the local routes I find fairly interesting as they can be very hilly, particularly the suburbs of River and Temple Ewell which look more like a Northern village than a place in Kent.
The route to Deal is interesting past Dover Castle (and you can get a glimpse of France if you catch the journeys via St Margarets) and the Wave 102 starts here and is scenic to Folkestone (and continues down to Rye).
Were you tracking me in August? :lol: I actually started off in Temple Ewell which I thought was quite lovely in that dip in the countryside, and I also enjoyed the bit of trundling from there to the A2 before the run to/from Canterbury. I absolutely loved the 1X to Ashford as you head down the valley. Sadly, I took the 2 from Ashford as I was concerned about making sure I had sufficient time in Tenterden for something to eat/toilet break etc before catching the 12 to Maidstone which is another beautiful ride through the Weald. In my opinion, the best bit of Kent.

You're right that my view of Dover is tainted by the town centre rather than the historic features! It does have good views and the castle etc but the town is a bit of a dump. Arguably, it's still better than Ashford which is a singularly soulless place but, as you say, it's a good connecting point for getting around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DragonEast

Thanks for the response.

I have tried to mix it up a little in my two trips. Yes, the 70 and 100 have featured in my journeys. However, I was surprised to catch a mid-afternoon 351 to Brentwood with only one other passenger leaving the bus station but by the time we were out of the town centre and by a VW showroom, we must have been nearly half full. Before Christmas, I sampled another mid pm run from Colchester to Maldon and that was nearer 2/3 full - both were rather mature Eclipses. I was even surprised that having caught a 54 (for a bit of local colour) from Broomfield at 1420, it too was fairly busy (not with schoolkids) into the centre - not what I was expecting.

Aside from the 42, which I can see the logic of a North-South axis to Broomfield, I'm not convinced that through running is that sensible. My take was that it might be more because of the constraints of the bus station and limitations in terminating routes there so instead, they have through routes.

I don't think Essex CC are that bad. I mean, it should be a race to the bottom for who can be the worst local authority but in comparison to other counties (e.g. Cumbria, Somerset, North Yorkshire, Northamptonshire), Essex at least do something.
Yes, I don't use it often, but I gather the 75 is a popular route, and Tiptree has no railway nor any significant competing services*. The 351 is an unusual service where the 30 minute daytime service was reduced to hourly; and not unusually the hospital parking is abysmal (so much so I gave up on my one outpatient visit) and it has no taxi rank, so perhaps First have something close to a monopoly (after it lost its P&R link during the pandemic), thankfully!

*PS perhaps, though, any decent business might think about how to show that sort of loyalty is appreciated?

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well.... I hadn't bargained on a trip report so early in 2022. However, an unexpected call to visit a site in Essex and an early finish meant that I could fit in a short second trip on First Essex to either revise or consolidate my experiences from just 6 weeks earlier; odd that I don't travel on a firm for years and then twice so quickly.

I decided to stick with a First Essex day ticket though I think the multi-operator one will be one to sample for later in 2022. I therefore parked up and waited at Black Notley (I think) near Braintree for my 70 to Chelmsford. I would have liked to have gone to Braintree to see the new bus interchange but not this time. Noted the bus stop RTPI screens weren't working but there was a roadside timetable case that was up to date; Essex CC do at least care a bit about publicity. Instead, I got a venerable ex Leicester B7TL Gemini. It was showing all its 17 years and as shown, the seats were very faded. Oddly, rather than going upstairs, I thought I'd sample the lower saloon for a change. Probably a mistake as it was quite a nice run out as we diverted through various small villages and then into Broomfield Hospital, where I elected to get off. Broomfield is a sort of de facto hub and I weighed up my options. I could've gone for the direct 42 (but why do that - I could've stayed on the 70) and I was tempted by the infrequent 45.

However, I decided to go with the 54 which I had done last albeit in the dark. No such issues this time and I could see the delights of Melbourne and North Melbourne in all their glory. Now, whilst I like a scenic classic (like the Yorkshire Coastliner to Whitby or the Jurassic Coaster), I also enjoy seeing some urban delights at times as I have an interest in human geography and also how these urban routes (that used to be so strong) get on in these times. The vehicle was a former Premiere of Nottingham (remember them?) long e200 that First got from Ensign. Therefore, unlike native vehicles, it has Urban 90 seats though, in fairness, the padding on these wasn't as bad as most. The wheelbase of this one made it a bit of a challenge round the residential roads. One highlight was passing a standard estate rank of shops and seeing it had a shop dedicated to the sale of Biltong..... is there a big South African community in northern Chelmsford? Certainly, it was an eventful run and surprisingly busy - we must have been half to 2/3 full on reaching the centre which was a surprise in these days and going into town in the mid-afternoon.

We got to the bus station and I decamped. Last time I was here, it was in the evening rush rather than daylight and I could see the bus station in all its majesty. Even at this time, it is remarkably cramped and that is why I think First persists with cross-town routes rather than splitting them. The bus station is relatively modern but it's not a great place to wait for a bus. Most of the concourse is open air albeit with barriers and screens to segregate from the roadway; the only covered area really is a small waiting room that was providing a warm place for a guy to sit and drink several bottles of strong Polish lager. Such an advert for public transport - note, there is a security presence but only for the Tesco express. The travel centre is closed and so are the shops adjacent - it looks quite depressing for a newish faciility.

My next trip was to Brentwood on the 351, and another quite mature machine with one of the sizeable number of ageing Volvo/Wright Eclipses that First Essex possesses. I sometimes wonder if part of FE's ills is a reliance on older, thirsty, and expensive machines albeit with a lower book value. Whilst a number have recently arrived, this was a long-standing Essex example albeit new to Manchester and cascaded to the provinces when relatively new. With only a couple of passengers on leaving, we picked up more in the centre and then out of town so by the time we exited the city limits, we had a healthy load and so it continued through Ingatestone when we then began to attract some schools traffic. It's a barrelling trip along the road through various places and the scenery isn't generally too bad. We arrived on time into Brentwood. You forget this was home to an Eastern National depot and so should be First territory but it is now served by numerous other firms including Stagecoach on TfL service 498. First do maintain some local services, operated by Chelmsford, and as well as the 351, they also run in every half hour from Basildon. I had a chance for a comfort break before my next journey and it was to Basildon.

Bang on time, my steed appeared and it was one of the more modern members of the aging First Essex fleet with a 15 plate Streetlite. Darkness had now fallen and we had a load of schoolkids being boisterous (or just like kids really) and again, it was a well patronized run. It does take over an hour to get to Basildon and I did think about bailing at Billericay but elected to stay on. I often get irked by the number of notices on Arriva vehicles; First Essex has virtually nothing internally and this Streetlite was really minimalist given the large cove panels on these. Naturally, the vehicle rattled by the emergency door, the ride wasn't brilliant but it was fine though I couldn't help think that these should be on services such as Colchester town routes, or to replace the Darts still plodding away in Chelmsford? Approaching Basildon, we caught up with a First Trident - a 51 plate that looked on its last legs and is apparently due to be ousted by e400s arriving from First West of England.

We then arrived at Basildon; don't think I've ever arrived at the bus station before. Clearly, I have now completed the unholy trinity of significant yet appalling Southern England bus stations in recent months. Basildon bus station isn't as bad as Harlow and is on a par with Guildford. In fairness to First, they have tried to smarten it a little but it's truly awful. Oh, and the X10 publicity relates to the old image - it is generally terrible. That got me focused on leaving, and I was looking forward to something a bit more interesting as the 100 to Chelmsford is generally operated by Volvo 7900s that still have a slight novelty about them. However, the decline of the 100, now severed into separate parts at Basildon, was summed up by the elderly Eclipse that was allocated. A former Halifax and York example, it was terrible. Not the worst bus I've ever experienced, as there's some competition for that accolade, but certainly not good. Terrible ride, banging and clattering with all types of strange sounds like a juvenile jazz band; the other examples of a similar age that I've enjoyed in this and the previous visit were so much better than this nail. Again, it was a decent load that had to tolerate it as we headed into Chelmsford where I was shocked to see some bus lanes albeit temporary ones; another observation, why do they make them temporary and from 1630 to 1900 when the rush hour begins at 1500 with the yummy mummies trundling around in their Qashqais? One other observation.... I had noted that Ashford had a preponderance of Shisha bars during the summer; for Basildon, try Kebab vans. There seemed to be one near every roundabout - healthy!

We arrived into Chelmsford bus station and the homeless drunk had sauntered off, the waiting room now closed and locked up. It was still mayhem in the bus station with vehicles laying over and having to manoeuvre. I waited for my bus back to Black Notley and it was another Eclipse, albeit a slightly newer one that had gained the new livery. For this, we should be grateful as many of the vehicles I saw looked very grubby externally, and clearly had not been given a deep external clean for a while. The livery....well, it's not exactly one of Ray Stenning's classics or maybe it is. It just seems a bit average or bog standard. I think there's an opportunity for First Essex to reset things. In Chelmsford, simplification and a local Chelmsford identity for the network seems a logical step. More difficult in South Essex but with the network they have and the loadings, I don't think it's a lost cause. However, the fleet needs surgery with a lot of 2004/5 tat in attendance - I know they're replacing the worst fleet but 15 year old B7TLs and e400s to replace 19/20 year old Tridents....it's a challenge.

Sorry the photos aren't idyllic shots as per @RELL6L but hope they convey a bit of this part of the world.

Attachments

• 5D7A04DC-7616-4F48-8DD7-4D90AA4789CF.jpeg
    5D7A04DC-7616-4F48-8DD7-4D90AA4789CF.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_8801.JPG
    DSC_8801.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_8815.JPG
    DSC_8815.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_8843.JPG
    DSC_8843.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_8849.JPG
    DSC_8849.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_8851.JPG
    DSC_8851.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 24

RELL6L

Were you tracking me in August? :lol: I actually started off in Temple Ewell which I thought was quite lovely in that dip in the countryside, and I also enjoyed the bit of trundling from there to the A2 before the run to/from Canterbury. I absolutely loved the 1X to Ashford as you head down the valley. Sadly, I took the 2 from Ashford as I was concerned about making sure I had sufficient time in Tenterden for something to eat/toilet break etc before catching the 12 to Maidstone which is another beautiful ride through the Weald. In my opinion, the best bit of Kent.

You're right that my view of Dover is tainted by the town centre rather than the historic features! It does have good views and the castle etc but the town is a bit of a dump. Arguably, it's still better than Ashford which is a singularly soulless place but, as you say, it's a good connecting point for getting around.

I agree with many of the comments on Kent here. Tenterden and surroundings are good, the 297 is excellent (especially on the decker - not done that), also if you can fit in the 123 between Biddenden and Ashford this is good. The 2/A and 12 in this area are also good while the 11s (especially 11A) from Ashford to the Lydd / New Romney area are most scenic. Rye is good including the 312 from Tenterden, maybe this helps with a round trip. Also visit Winchelsea, the grid pattern village is most attractive but has an odd atmosphere. The Wave routes are good but between New Romney and Dover I found the journey seemed very slow. From Ashford the 1 to Canterbury is excellent, the 666 north to Faversham isn't bad either and opens up access to the north of the county.

Further afield I don't mind Dover, even some of the town centre is OK and the view of the castle really adds to it (by the way with older kids visiting the castle is brilliant). Agreed on the Dover suburbs, I took the 91 around River and this included a very hilly estate with great views towards the castle. I like Folkestone too, here the town centre is more amenable and it is really nice by the harbour. The 16 to Canterbury is OK but the 17 is delightful up the Elham valley.

To the east Deal is lovely and all the routes here are pretty good. Sandwich is nice too. I like the centres of Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate but there is a lot of dull territory around here. Finally, if you want to try something a bit different, with a walk, get the 660 from Faversham to the Stalisfield terminus and walk to Charing. It's not a difficult or long walk but do it this way round!

I want to be out enjoying it - but sadly a positive test at the weekend has grounded me for at least a week! :(

TheSel

May I be permitted to add a historical entry to this thread? Thirty seven years ago today, Saturday 12 January 1985.

0730 SOUTHPORT – LIVERPOOL CENTRAL 507030

0812 LIVERPOOL CENTRAL – HAMILTON SQUARE 508117

0828 C2 Woodside – Chester Crosville DVG526 – DCA526X – ECW bodied Bristol VR

0945 D2 Chester – Wrexham Crosville DOG183 – B183BLG – ECW bodied Olympian

Less than a month old at the time, and certainly my first trip on any from this batch.

1641999030614.png

1100 D26 Wrexham – Mold Crosville SRG218 – HFM218J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G

1641999072163.png

1200 B6 Mold – Chester Crosville DVL435 – RMA435V – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1641999115581.png
(sorry about the colour – for some reason, the original slide is has a very strong green tinge – this is about the best I can do with it)

1305 X1 Chester – Ellesmere Port (destined for Manchester) Crosville ERL305 – SFM305M – ECW bodied Bristol RELH6L

1641999166326.png

(Vehicle Exchanged at Ellesmere Port): Ellesmere Port – Runcorn Depot Crosville ENL927 – HFM183N – Leyland National (DP)

(Light) Runcorn Depot – Halton Lodge Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

T6 Halton Lodge – Shopping City North Crosville SNL3 – AFM3W – Leyland National 2

T10 Shopping City South – Railway Station Crosville SRG199 – HFM199J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

1641999245765.png

T9 Railway Station – Castner Kellner Factory Crosville SRG196 – HFM196J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

1641999282867.png

1508 T9 Castner Kellner Factory – Shopping City North Crosville SRG196 – HFM196J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

1536 H45 Shopping City – Kingsley Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1641999377195.png
Not a lot of depth of field available at 1615 in January on Kodak 64 film!

1611 H45 Kingsley – Shopping City Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1636 C30 Shopping City – Chester Crosville DVL441 – RMA441V – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1800 X7 Chester – Liverpool Crosville CTL48 – B148ALG – Duple 'Laser 2' bodied Leyland Tiger

1902 LIVERPOOL CENTRAL – SOUTHPORT 507011

1952 5 Chapel Street – Portland Street Merseyside PTE 6072 – RKA878T – Leyland National

It's interesting (to me, anyway!) to note that the three 507/8s are still in service on very much the same duties, and to note that one of the Bristol REs (SRG196) is also still extant in preservation. Who says nostalgia isn't what it once was!

(Images note - Each image depicts the vehicle decribed immediately beforehand in the text, and was taken by me on the day in question).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
May I be permitted to add a historical entry to this thread? Thirty seven years ago today, Saturday 12 January 1985.

0730 SOUTHPORT – LIVERPOOL CENTRAL 507030

0812 LIVERPOOL CENTRAL – HAMILTON SQUARE 508117

0828 C2 Woodside – Chester Crosville DVG526 – DCA526X – ECW bodied Bristol VR

0945 D2 Chester – Wrexham Crosville DOG183 – B183BLG – ECW bodied Olympian

Less than a month old at the time, and certainly my first trip on any from this batch.

View attachment 108642

1100 D26 Wrexham – Mold Crosville SRG218 – HFM218J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G

View attachment 108643

1200 B6 Mold – Chester Crosville DVL435 – RMA435V – ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 108644
(sorry about the colour – for some reason, the original slide is has a very strong green tinge – this is about the best I can do with it)

1305 X1 Chester – Ellesmere Port (destined for Manchester) Crosville ERL305 – SFM305M – ECW bodied Bristol RELH6L

View attachment 108645

(Vehicle Exchanged at Ellesmere Port): Ellesmere Port – Runcorn Depot Crosville ENL927 – HFM183N – Leyland National (DP)

(Light) Runcorn Depot – Halton Lodge Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

T6 Halton Lodge – Shopping City North Crosville SNL3 – AFM3W – Leyland National 2

T10 Shopping City South – Railway Station Crosville SRG199 – HFM199J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

View attachment 108646

T9 Railway Station – Castner Kellner Factory Crosville SRG196 – HFM196J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

View attachment 108647

1508 T9 Castner Kellner Factory – Shopping City North Crosville SRG196 – HFM196J – ECW bodied Bristol RELL6G (dual door)

1536 H45 Shopping City – Kingsley Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

View attachment 108648
Not a lot of depth of field available at 1615 in January on Kodak 64 film!

1611 H45 Kingsley – Shopping City Crosville DVG567 – HAL103K – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1636 C30 Shopping City – Chester Crosville DVL441 – RMA441V – ECW bodied Bristol VR

1800 X7 Chester – Liverpool Crosville CTL48 – B148ALG – Duple 'Laser 2' bodied Leyland Tiger

1902 LIVERPOOL CENTRAL – SOUTHPORT 507011

1952 5 Chapel Street – Portland Street Merseyside PTE 6072 – RKA878T – Leyland National

It's interesting (to me, anyway!) to note that the three 507/8s are still in service on very much the same duties, and to note that one of the Bristol REs (SRG196) is also still extant in preservation. Who says nostalgia isn't what it once was!

(Images note - Each image depicts the vehicle decribed immediately beforehand in the text, and was taken by me on the day in question).
Hi there

I can't speak for the mods (@GusB) but I have no problem with the Vintage Trip Reporting and especially when you've provided some superb pictorial support. I hate to think how cold some of those vehicles were, with box heaters limply whirring away. That said, the Kingsley VR has two sliders open so perhaps it was subtropical in there? My expeditions began at a similar time, with the last knockings of the regulated world. In some ways, it's sad as there were all sorts of routes that existed then that were disconnected or simply lost at that time though it wasn't the bed of roses that is sometimes portrayed. Mind you, some things don't change...like the desolation of Shopping City!

A few observations... £1.89 for a gallon of 4 star is now somewhere nearer £7.25. Also, SRG196 looks to have a bit of damage to the nearside that might attract the interest of the constabulary? Mind you, you seem to have caught the interest of the girl in Mold bus station ;)

RELL6L

Wonderful recollection of 1985 and some great pictures, including an excellent array of REs! I particularly love the ERL on the X1. Just a few times in the late 70s I took some of these on the overnight coach between Liverpool (or, one time, Wrexham) and Oxford, they were marvellous beasts.

DragonEast

Well.... I hadn't bargained on a trip report so early in 2022. However, an unexpected call to visit a site in Essex and an early finish meant that I could fit in a short second trip on First Essex to either revise or consolidate my experiences from just 6 weeks earlier; odd that I don't travel on a firm for years and then twice so quickly.

I decided to stick with a First Essex day ticket though I think the multi-operator one will be one to sample for later in 2022. I therefore parked up and waited at Black Notley (I think) near Braintree for my 70 to Chelmsford. I would have liked to have gone to Braintree to see the new bus interchange but not this time. Noted the bus stop RTPI screens weren't working but there was a roadside timetable case that was up to date; Essex CC do at least care a bit about publicity. Instead, I got a venerable ex Leicester B7TL Gemini. It was showing all its 17 years and as shown, the seats were very faded. Oddly, rather than going upstairs, I thought I'd sample the lower saloon for a change. Probably a mistake as it was quite a nice run out as we diverted through various small villages and then into Broomfield Hospital, where I elected to get off. Broomfield is a sort of de facto hub and I weighed up my options. I could've gone for the direct 42 (but why do that - I could've stayed on the 70) and I was tempted by the infrequent 45.

However, I decided to go with the 54 which I had done last albeit in the dark. No such issues this time and I could see the delights of Melbourne and North Melbourne in all their glory. Now, whilst I like a scenic classic (like the Yorkshire Coastliner to Whitby or the Jurassic Coaster), I also enjoy seeing some urban delights at times as I have an interest in human geography and also how these urban routes (that used to be so strong) get on in these times. The vehicle was a former Premiere of Nottingham (remember them?) long e200 that First got from Ensign. Therefore, unlike native vehicles, it has Urban 90 seats though, in fairness, the padding on these wasn't as bad as most. The wheelbase of this one made it a bit of a challenge round the residential roads. One highlight was passing a standard estate rank of shops and seeing it had a shop dedicated to the sale of Biltong..... is there a big South African community in northern Chelmsford? Certainly, it was an eventful run and surprisingly busy - we must have been half to 2/3 full on reaching the centre which was a surprise in these days and going into town in the mid-afternoon.

We got to the bus station and I decamped. Last time I was here, it was in the evening rush rather than daylight and I could see the bus station in all its majesty. Even at this time, it is remarkably cramped and that is why I think First persists with cross-town routes rather than splitting them. The bus station is relatively modern but it's not a great place to wait for a bus. Most of the concourse is open air albeit with barriers and screens to segregate from the roadway; the only covered area really is a small waiting room that was providing a warm place for a guy to sit and drink several bottles of strong Polish lager. Such an advert for public transport - note, there is a security presence but only for the Tesco express. The travel centre is closed and so are the shops adjacent - it looks quite depressing for a newish faciility.

My next trip was to Brentwood on the 351, and another quite mature machine with one of the sizeable number of ageing Volvo/Wright Eclipses that First Essex possesses. I sometimes wonder if part of FE's ills is a reliance on older, thirsty, and expensive machines albeit with a lower book value. Whilst a number have recently arrived, this was a long-standing Essex example albeit new to Manchester and cascaded to the provinces when relatively new. With only a couple of passengers on leaving, we picked up more in the centre and then out of town so by the time we exited the city limits, we had a healthy load and so it continued through Ingatestone when we then began to attract some schools traffic. It's a barrelling trip along the road through various places and the scenery isn't generally too bad. We arrived on time into Brentwood. You forget this was home to an Eastern National depot and so should be First territory but it is now served by numerous other firms including Stagecoach on TfL service 498. First do maintain some local services, operated by Chelmsford, and as well as the 351, they also run in every half hour from Basildon. I had a chance for a comfort break before my next journey and it was to Basildon.

Bang on time, my steed appeared and it was one of the more modern members of the aging First Essex fleet with a 15 plate Streetlite. Darkness had now fallen and we had a load of schoolkids being boisterous (or just like kids really) and again, it was a well patronized run. It does take over an hour to get to Basildon and I did think about bailing at Billericay but elected to stay on. I often get irked by the number of notices on Arriva vehicles; First Essex has virtually nothing internally and this Streetlite was really minimalist given the large cove panels on these. Naturally, the vehicle rattled by the emergency door, the ride wasn't brilliant but it was fine though I couldn't help think that these should be on services such as Colchester town routes, or to replace the Darts still plodding away in Chelmsford? Approaching Basildon, we caught up with a First Trident - a 51 plate that looked on its last legs and is apparently due to be ousted by e400s arriving from First West of England.

We then arrived at Basildon; don't think I've ever arrived at the bus station before. Clearly, I have now completed the unholy trinity of significant yet appalling Southern England bus stations in recent months. Basildon bus station isn't as bad as Harlow and is on a par with Guildford. In fairness to First, they have tried to smarten it a little but it's truly awful. Oh, and the X10 publicity relates to the old image - it is generally terrible. That got me focused on leaving, and I was looking forward to something a bit more interesting as the 100 to Chelmsford is generally operated by Volvo 7900s that still have a slight novelty about them. However, the decline of the 100, now severed into separate parts at Basildon, was summed up by the elderly Eclipse that was allocated. A former Halifax and York example, it was terrible. Not the worst bus I've ever experienced, as there's some competition for that accolade, but certainly not good. Terrible ride, banging and clattering with all types of strange sounds like a juvenile jazz band; the other examples of a similar age that I've enjoyed in this and the previous visit were so much better than this nail. Again, it was a decent load that had to tolerate it as we headed into Chelmsford where I was shocked to see some bus lanes albeit temporary ones; another observation, why do they make them temporary and from 1630 to 1900 when the rush hour begins at 1500 with the yummy mummies trundling around in their Qashqais? One other observation.... I had noted that Ashford had a preponderance of Shisha bars during the summer; for Basildon, try Kebab vans. There seemed to be one near every roundabout - healthy!

We arrived into Chelmsford bus station and the homeless drunk had sauntered off, the waiting room now closed and locked up. It was still mayhem in the bus station with vehicles laying over and having to manoeuvre. I waited for my bus back to Black Notley and it was another Eclipse, albeit a slightly newer one that had gained the new livery. For this, we should be grateful as many of the vehicles I saw looked very grubby externally, and clearly had not been given a deep external clean for a while. The livery....well, it's not exactly one of Ray Stenning's classics or maybe it is. It just seems a bit average or bog standard. I think there's an opportunity for First Essex to reset things. In Chelmsford, simplification and a local Chelmsford identity for the network seems a logical step. More difficult in South Essex but with the network they have and the loadings, I don't think it's a lost cause. However, the fleet needs surgery with a lot of 2004/5 tat in attendance - I know they're replacing the worst fleet but 15 year old B7TLs and e400s to replace 19/20 year old Tridents....it's a challenge.

Sorry the photos aren't idyllic shots as per @RELL6L but hope they convey a bit of this part of the world.
Interesting. Thank you. Generally it confirms my experience. Both Harlow and Basildon have town centre redevelopment in the offing, whatever that means in a post-pandemic world of the county council's new buzz-word, levelling up. Not Chelmsford though, it's blown the budget on the second station. Whilst Chelmsford is almost entirely a dormitory nowadays, Basildon and Harlow are big on warehousing and distribution.
We knew Chelmsford bus station was inadequate when it was built, 20 years ago. They've only recently started to use the potential of the older small terminus, next to the under-cover retail market.

Even with fleet efficiencies, hopefully, I'm not sure I see an easy route up to a 10% margin, or even to maintain patronage with the aging fleet. Perhaps the tragedy is we could all see this coming, a decade ago when they were in expansionist mode, to keep the competition out. In that they succeeded, except on the margins of their operating area where life is easier, for good or ill.
The external state of the buses has been legendary for a decade too, at least between November and April, when the external wash is either frozen or clogged with wind blown detritus. At least Eastern Counties learnt the lesson! Why First Essex don't (not just in that respect) is one of life's great mysteries.

But, being blunt, let's go back to where we started. For the time being running buses in First Essex is about trying to ensure a bus, any bus, turns up on time, or at all. That's it. Everything else can, or has to, wait. Everyone locally knows it. As for the passengers, it's a matter of for how long we have to wait. Five years at least so far, and counting.
PS OK, it's a chicken and egg. But how can we hope to reconfigure the bus network, when north the Beaulieu Park station and its associated delayed road works has the potential to change travel patterns completely, and in the south the County Council wants to close and restrict estate access, but hasn't decided how. There is similar indecision in south Essex too. We ask how Stephensons and Ensign manage it? They steer well clear.
PPS Just in case we're tempted; don't blame covid. The structural problems were there, long before covid. As we know, it attacks the already sick; tragically sometimes fatally.

Last edited:

alex397

Established Member
Finally, if you want to try something a bit different, with a walk, get the 660 from Faversham to the Stalisfield terminus and walk to Charing. It's not a difficult or long walk but do it this way round!

I want to be out enjoying it - but sadly a positive test at the weekend has grounded me for at least a week! :(
Strangely enough, I’ve done this very thing! I wasn’t expecting to know of anyone else who has done this. It is a lovely walk, and I’d certainly recommend it. A good chance to try out a very rural route too.
I must say I’m surprised Stalisfield Green gets the level of service it does (4 return journeys on Mon-Fri and 3 return journeys on Sat) and hasn’t just been reduced to school journeys or once a week market day trips. It is getting rarer to have a terminus in such a small village - it reminds me of those rural bus photos of the past taken in the past, in places which haven’t seen a bus service in 20+ years.

RELL6L

Strangely enough, I’ve done this very thing! I wasn’t expecting to know of anyone else who has done this. It is a lovely walk, and I’d certainly recommend it. A good chance to try out a very rural route too.
I must say I’m surprised Stalisfield Green gets the level of service it does (4 return journeys on Mon-Fri and 3 return journeys on Sat) and hasn’t just been reduced to school journeys or once a week market day trips. It is getting rarer to have a terminus in such a small village - it reminds me of those rural bus photos of the past taken in the past, in places which haven’t seen a bus service in 20+ years.
Fabulous - and I thought I was the only one! I agree and I remember thinking much the same as I left the bus at the terminus. I might have some pictures but not to hand at the moment, will try and dig out.

alex397

Established Member
Fabulous - and I thought I was the only one! I agree and I remember thinking much the same as I left the bus at the terminus. I might have some pictures but not to hand at the moment, will try and dig out.
Unfortunately it’s a StreetLite in plain white, but here is a photo of the 660 at Stalisfield Green which I took myself: https://flic.kr/p/2g5Q1j9

Attachments

• F181911A-FE31-4962-8697-181927089CB0.jpeg
    F181911A-FE31-4962-8697-181927089CB0.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 20

alex397

Established Member
Looks like a nice spot to have a pint in the sun. As for the bus....well, not every route can have a e400!
I regret not stopping at the pub at the time, as it was open. A couple of punters sitting outside were both looking perplexed at me getting off the bus, perhaps shocked that a bus even goes there.

I think an e400 would struggle on that route :D I seem to remember low hanging branches hitting the single decker, and some of the lanes had grass growing in the middle!

volvob12

Approaching Basildon, we caught up with a First Trident - a 51 plate that looked on its last legs and is apparently due to be ousted by e400s arriving from First West of England.....

....That got me focused on leaving, and I was looking forward to something a bit more interesting as the 100 to Chelmsford is generally operated by Volvo 7900s that still have a slight novelty about them. However, the decline of the 100, now severed into separate parts at Basildon, was summed up by the elderly Eclipse that was allocated.
Interestingly on the above points, ex First West of England WA56 FUD (33412) has now reappeared in the new Essex green livery with branding for the Lakeside - Basildon leg of the 100!

route101

Established Member
First proper trip of the year.

Stagecoach Gold Dayrider (Mostly)

Southampton to Winchester Bluestar 1.

Nice comfy coach seated E400MMC up to Winch, not the most interesting of routes.

Winchester to Alton, Stagecoach 64.

Time to put my dayrider into good use. Modern E400MMC. Pleasant run on the A31. The A31 is quite an old fashioned dual carriageway, with a lack of central reservation in places.

Alton to Guildford, Stagecoach 65

After a pitstop in Alton, an elderly trident was in order to Guildford. This a new route for me. Mostly on the A31 again with a loop into Farnham. Into Surrey (Not easy to tell the difference from Hampshire!)

Guildford to Midhurst, Stagecoach 70

Had an hour to kill in Guildford, Arriva have now gone. Highlight was seeing a Safeguard optare still in service ( X reg), must be one of the oldest buses still in service in the UK!

The 70 was operated by a 64 plate E200. Pleasant run and best of the day. The South Downs needs exploring!

Midhurst to Chichester, Stagecoach 60

11 plate E400 for another pleasant run to Chi! Will be back to Midhurst to do routes 1 and 92.

Chichester to Selsey and back, Stagecoach 51

E300 and E400MMC back on the 51. Walked down the pebbly beach, bit of a let down!

Chichester to Havant, Stagecoach 700

E200MMC and the busiest bus of the day.

Havant to Portsmouth, Stagecoach 21

Decided to take the 21 to Pompey as I have already done the 23/700. Got to see new areas of Portsmouth and Havant.

With no buses able to take me to Southampton on the dayrider, I took a GWR service back home!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Nice comfy coach seated E400MMC up to Winch, not the most interesting of routes.

Time to put my dayrider into good use. Modern E400MMC. Pleasant run on the A31. The A31 is quite an old fashioned dual carriageway, with a lack of central reservation in places.

After a pitstop in Alton, an elderly trident was in order to Guildford. This a new route for me. Mostly on the A31 again with a loop into Farnham. Into Surrey (Not easy to tell the difference from Hampshire!)

Had an hour to kill in Guildford, Arriva have now gone. Highlight was seeing a Safeguard optare still in service ( X reg), must be one of the oldest buses still in service in the UK!

The 70 was operated by a 64 plate E200. Pleasant run and best of the day. The South Downs needs exploring!

11 plate E400 for another pleasant run to Chi! Will be back to Midhurst to do routes 1 and 92.

E300 and E400MMC back on the 51. Walked down the pebbly beach, bit of a let down!

Decided to take the 21 to Pompey as I have already done the 23/700. Got to see new areas of Portsmouth and Havant.

With no buses able to take me to Southampton on the dayrider, I took a GWR service back home!

Not a Dayrider valid route I know but you could have got the X4 bus to go back to Southampton, rather than expensive train.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Sounds like a good day out.

Hope you had good weather so that you could enjoy the view on the 65 as you approached Guildford from Hogs Back. Midhurst was on my itinerary last time but events conspired to foil me. It's on my "to do list" but along with a lot of places!

Southampton to Winchester - yeah, I agree that it's quite dreary. Very little to endear it but Winchester is a nice spot even if I can't get used to the bus station now! As for Safeguard, it's quite something to see an Optare Excel still earning it's corn too!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Friday 14th January was my last opportunity to sample the Cardiff-Pontypool section of Stagecoach South Wales X3 which is withdrawn from today. The Pontypool-Abergavenny-Hereford section continues to run.

My trip got off to a bad start when oil was spotted on the floor of Enviro 200 Stagecoach 36401 and the driver rightly terminated the X15 journey in Duffryn, a western suburb of Newport.

Fortunately a brisk walk past the nearby semiconductor plant, National Statistics Office and Intellectual Property Office took me to Tredegar Park where I had just a few minutes wait for Cardiff Bus 107, a Mercedes Benz Citaro. This was well loaded but I found a double seat to myself near the back. We passed the Cleppa Park and Celtic Springs business parks, including the prominent Airbus building and the (in)famous former LG factory now home to one of Europe's largest computer data centres.

The landscape became more rural as we followed the A48 (superseded by the M4 about half a century ago ) through the village of Castleton before reaching the Cardiff border at St Mellons. Here the A48 branches off to a fast dual carriageway for the city centre and beyond but we take the old road through suburban Rumney before descending to cross the eponymous river and pass under the viaduct carrying the A4242 link road connection the A48 with the docks and industrial areas.

The urban landscape changes immediately, with supermarkets, car dealers and retail sheds lining both sides of the road for the next couple of miles. We then pass through a more run-down area with Victorian houses, many converted to flats or B&B's. Passing the Royal Infirmary (superseded by more modern hospital facilities but still in NHS use) we soon reach the edge of the city centre with tall office blocks and hotels. After passing under the railway bridge carrying the lines to Caerphilly, Pontypridd and the Valleys we turn left into Station Terrace and I get off near Queen Street station. We've collected a steady stream of passengers and the unpopular sideways seats over the back wheels are taken and there a couple of standees.

A short walk back up Station Terrace and across pedestrianised Queen Street brings me to Dumfries Place where I find the X3 stop by peering at the LED displays inside each shelter. Why no flags, Cardiff Council? I have about 20 minutes wait and am glad of the 'seat'; a sloping structure where you half stand and half sit. I am the only passenger waiting.

Stagecoach's 28710, an Enviro 300, arrives on time with about 6 or 7 aboard only 2 appearing to be fare payers. The rest are probably using their concessionary passes which we get at age 60 in Wales. I find a seat with a USB socket to recharge my phone. We follow the same route as I came in to Cardiff on and although every stop was announced there was no further custom before we climbed steeply onto the aforementioned A4232.

The inter-urban part of the journey took us along the A48, A48(M) and M4 which we left at Jn 26 where it was back to urban operation up Newport's A4051 Malpas Road and one passenger got off. Passing into Torfaen County Borough we turned off the main road into Cwmbran town centre in favour of the narrow streets of Llantarnam and Old Cwmbran, built long before the New Town was conceived in the 1950s. One passenger boarded and two got off before we reached Cwmbran Town Centre, encircling the 1960s concrete shopping centre before reaching the bus station which was built as part of the development.

I had planned to eat at the independent cafe in the bus station but it appears to have closed down so it was a visit to Greggs a couple of doors away for sustenance. It's always interesting to observe Cwmbran's busy bus station where Stagecoach and independent Phil Anslow Coaches compete for custom. The vehicles are mostly solos though Stagecoach's are Gold spec. I think they were imported from another subsidiary a few years ago. The only other operator is Newport Transport whose 29 operates hourly to the Grange Hospital on the outskirts of the town, Caerleon and Newport, normally with rechargeable Yutongs.

I had the choice of this route, the Stagecoach 23 which takes the same route as the X3, Stagecoach X24 or Anslow 24X for the next stage of my journey. The X24 was the first to arrive so I took that. Gold, route branded Enviro 300 27275 took me and a handful of other passengers through Llanyrafon and on to the A4042 dual carriageway to reach Newport's Market Square Bus Station in about 15 minutes. I then had a short walk through the newly refurbished Market Arcade to my favourite hostelry for refreshment.

All in all, an enjoyable day out at no cost thanks to the Welsh Government.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Not a Dayrider valid route I know but you could have got the X4 bus to go back to Southampton, rather than expensive train.
Yes, I purchased a single on the Bluestar 1, I think it was like £6 using tap on tap off. I usually get the train to Winchester. I now wonder if a discovery ticket is valid on the 1. I had missed the last X4, (1705) I have done it before and takes too long compared to the train (Also one of them streetlites) The train was £5.90 single with railcard discount.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes, I purchased a single on the Bluestar 1, I think it was like £6 using tap on tap off. I usually get the train to Winchester. I now wonder if a discovery ticket is valid on the 1. I had missed the last X4, (1705) I have done it before and takes too long compared to the train (Also one of them streetlites) The train was £5.90 single with railcard discount.
Discovery ticket isn't valid on Bluestar, I'm afraid. I'm with you - the X4 is a bit of a pain if you're doing the full gig.

All in all, an enjoyable day out at no cost thanks to the Welsh Government
Sounds like it. For us Englanders or not qualifying for a pass, there's the good old Network Rider.

I'd completely forgotten about the LG debacle - a factory built amidst great fanfare only to close about 10 years later. As for the rest of your trip, I know the area and you convey it to a tee. The trip into Cardiff is a curious mix of suburbia, retail parks, inner city decay and uber modern, unsympathetic regeneration. Also, having been to Harlow, Hemel, and Basildon recently... who doesn't like a new town. I quite like the 1960s chic of Cwmbran and the bus station.

As for the machinery, I'm not a great fan of the Citaro and its internal layout, as I suspect you're not. The e300s are not a bad old hector but the Gold ones are not a patch on the slightly older e200mmc that Stagecoach moved from Porth to Blackwood for the 151. The Gold Solos came from Leamington where one of the local routes was one of the first Gold services but it's now been downgraded with standardd e200s IIRC. I thought the Gold concept really worked and, like a few Stagecoach decisions, I do wonder why they have abandoned marketing a premium product.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Discovery ticket isn't valid on Bluestar, I'm afraid. I'm with you - the X4 is a bit of a pain if you're doing the full gig.

Sounds like it. For us Englanders or not qualifying for a pass, there's the good old Network Rider.

I'd completely forgotten about the LG debacle - a factory built amidst great fanfare only to close about 10 years later. As for the rest of your trip, I know the area and you convey it to a tee. The trip into Cardiff is a curious mix of suburbia, retail parks, inner city decay and uber modern, unsympathetic regeneration. Also, having been to Harlow, Hemel, and Basildon recently... who doesn't like a new town. I quite like the 1960s chic of Cwmbran and the bus station.

As for the machinery, I'm not a great fan of the Citaro and its internal layout, as I suspect you're not. The e300s are not a bad old hector but the Gold ones are not a patch on the slightly older e200mmc that Stagecoach moved from Porth to Blackwood for the 151. The Gold Solos came from Leamington where one of the local routes was one of the first Gold services but it's now been downgraded with standardd e200s IIRC. I thought the Gold concept really worked and, like a few Stagecoach decisions, I do wonder why they have abandoned marketing a premium product.

Me three. X4 is very long, I've done it myself and it can take an hour and a half to reach Portsmouth's from Southampton.

But at least I had a Trident Myllennium Lolyne (32765 WJ55 CSU) so that's good.

And yes can confirm that Discovery is not valid on Bluestar but I think it should be valid (alongside First), considering it's already valid on Stagecoach and Xelabus

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interestingly on the above points, ex First West of England WA56 FUD (33412) has now reappeared in the new Essex green livery with branding for the Lakeside - Basildon leg of the 100!
So I've seen @volvob12 - the route branding perhaps supports my view that the northern portion is to become another route whilst the 100 is retained for the southern half. I have to say the current 100 (essential now two routes) is a bit daft and the branding looked a bit amateurish IMHO. The repainted example looks better but it's not exactly grabbing me.
And yes can confirm that Discovery is not valid on Bluestar but I think it should be valid (alongside First), considering it's already valid on Stagecoach and Xelabus
The Discovery ticket does already extend from Kent across much of Sussex and Surrey and into Hampshire; there has to be a limit somewhere or where do you stop? If you add onto Bluestar, then someone would argue you may as well have Morebus, and if you them....etc etc. I love a rover ticket more than most but there's always a borderline, and you do have the SolentGo ticket for all those operators already.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I never tire of the varied south east Wales landscape, urban or rural. I plan to do the rural part of the X3 between Pontypool and Hereford soon, never having been further than Abergavenny before.
As a regular user of the 151 and X24, I can't say I've noticed much difference between the e200mmc and the e300 from a passenger point of view.

Reflecting on my X3 journey, if the loading I saw between Cardiff and Cwmbran is typical I can see why Stagecoach withdrew it. I doubt if there were many travelling all the way between Cardiff and Hereford; the urban section between Newport and Pontypool would be very tedious.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I never tire of the varied south east Wales landscape, urban or rural. I plan to do the rural part of the X3 between Pontypool and Hereford soon, never having been further than Abergavenny before.

As a regular user of the 151 and X24, I can't say I've noticed much difference between the e200mmc and the e300 from a passenger point of view.

Reflecting on my X3 journey, if the loading I saw between Cardiff and Cwmbran is typical I can see why Stagecoach withdrew it. I doubt if there were many travelling all the way between Cardiff and Hereford; the urban section between Newport and Pontypool would be very tedious.
I do try to get a trip once a year in South Wales (but not in 2021 sadly) because, as you say, the scenery does change across that part of the country. I am always fascinated by the architecture of places and the differing styles (and how towns develop) and that's evident in Newport as well as Cardiff. Yes, there are the remnants of the traditional Sth Wales valleys, former mines and ribbon terraces, but then again, you have the wide flatlands and gentler scenery of Monmouthshire, the bleakness on the Heads of the Valleys, the much more affluent Vale of Glamorgan. Even in those traditional valleys, I find it interesting to see how they vary from East to West, and each valley from South to North as you have more isolated communities. Stagecoach Wales is a decent enough outfit with a good network though not much excitement. Newport Bus seems an anachronism whilst Cardiff Bus baffles me.

I'm fairly certain that no one really used the X3 in all its glory. Unless you're retired or skint, most people won't spend nearly three hours on a bus when they can do it in just over an hour. It's the usual mix of overlapping passenger flows but Cwmbran and Pontypool have naturally looked to Newport rather than Cardiff so guess a marginal service is now no longer viable.

I find the e300s comfortable enough but the seats are a bit harder, and they don't look quite as nice. I know that's subjective but I do think the e200mmcs are better.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
So I've seen @volvob12 - the route branding perhaps supports my view that the northern portion is to become another route whilst the 100 is retained for the southern half. I have to say the current 100 (essential now two routes) is a bit daft and the branding looked a bit amateurish IMHO. The repainted example looks better but it's not exactly grabbing me.

The Discovery ticket does already extend from Kent across much of Sussex and Surrey and into Hampshire; there has to be a limit somewhere or where do you stop? If you add onto Bluestar, then someone would argue you may as well have Morebus, and if you them....etc etc. I love a rover ticket more than most but there's always a borderline, and you do have the SolentGo ticket for all those operators already.

The limit for me would be the Hampshire-Dorset/Wilts border.

Problem about SolentGo is that you can't buy it onboard the bus.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The limit for me would be the Hampshire-Dorset/Wilts border.

Problem about SolentGo is that you can't buy it onboard the bus.
That's your view but you get my point - there will always be a location where people will feel hard done by or disenfranchised or something, and a county boundary can sometimes be a bit defeating in itself.

I'm not certain that you're right about SolentGo. It does say on the fares page below the bus travel only fares http://solentgo.co.uk/fares/

A one and seven-day Solent Go paper region zone ticket valid for bus travel only is available to purchase from any participating bus operator, just ask your driver.

I've not bought one for a while but when I have (coincidentally both times in Romsey) then it was on the bus; first time on a Bluestar 4 and second time on a Stagecoach 66

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
That's your view but you get my point - there will always be a location where people will feel hard done by or disenfranchised or something, and a county boundary can sometimes be a bit defeating in itself.

I'm not certain that you're right about SolentGo. It does say on the fares page below the bus travel only fares http://solentgo.co.uk/fares/

I've not bought one for a while but when I have (coincidentally both times in Romsey) then it was on the bus; first time on a Bluestar 4 and second time on a Stagecoach 66

Ahh perfect then!

route101

Established Member
There is a morebus/bluestar network ticket which suffices I think, though your only option to connect is via the X1/6 routes at Lymington or via Salisbury.

A train option added to solent go would useful.

Need to get back to South Wales, pretty much new territory for me. I've not been past Cardiff. Is there any express buses between Cardiff and Newport?

iantherev

First trip of the year today due to collecting Julie's car after a service.

T4. Libanus - Merthyr Tydfil (Stagecoach Volvo/MCV 21359 (BV19 LPO))

Fairly quiet with about 10 people on board. Once I managed to sort out the condensation problem on the glasses, a pleasant run down although the bright sunshine and less than clean windows made looking out of them rather challenging which was a pity as the scenery was beautiful. Overtook Scania 28727 on the X4 at the retail park outside town which was handy....

X4. Merthyr Tydfil- Cardiff Stagecoach Scania/Enviro 300 28727 (YN15 KFW).

The T4 has 15 minutes recovery time at Merthyr so being able to catch the 12:45 X4 was useful with limited time to spend. A little busier, and 28727 was in good form so time was made up. Traffic quiet coming into Cardiff but I still can't understand the reluctance of Merthyr drivers to use the bus lanes on the A470. As they now account for 60% of the scheduled services on this corridor it must be frustrating for car drivers and passengers alike.

On arrival at Cardiff, a spot of lunch, then some photography around Dumfries Place. The last time I was in Cardiff, the Stagecoach 132 left from St Mary Street so I decided to catch a Yutong to there. One problem - none of the westbound bus stops in Dumfries Place we're in use. So it was a brief walk along Newport Road to the City Road Junction (as the intervening bus stop had no indication that the 44/5/9/50 stopped there.

44 City Road - Kingsway (Hilton Hotel) Cardiff 413 (YX71 YDJ)

This one was quite busy unsurprisingly as it was the first bus from the Rumney direction I'd seen for a while. I've travelled on several Newport Yutongs and this was very similar in experience. Coming along Greyfriars Road, I noticed two Stagecoach Gold 132 vehicles parked up so obviously the terminus had changed. So a quick change of plan.

Even allowing for the fact that Cardiff are running a Saturday service, Cardiff was eerily quiet with substantial gaps between buses. In the ten minutes opposite the Hilton three vehicles passed me - a white Cardiff MMC, a Yutong and an Edwards National Express coach - and this used to be a busy thoroughfare.

132. Cardiff Greyfriars Road - Upper Boat Roundabout Stagecoach 26108 (YX66 WJY)

I don't often use the 132 these days but it's a familiar path through the North Cardiff suburbs due to the parallel 26 route which was our main route from Caerphilly to Cardiff. One thing has changed - it's much busier within the city now and Stagecoach now seem to have a substantial share of the local trade. The bus got busier at Nantgarw due to college chucking out time but it wasn't too much of a problem as my final stop was at the other end of Treforest Estate.

So ends the first run of 2022. I suspect the next trip out will be early February to view the latest incarnation of Clayton Jones's bus operation.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Need to get back to South Wales, pretty much new territory for me. I've not been past Cardiff. Is there any express buses between Cardiff and Newport?
Newport Transport X30, though it's only once every two hours for most of the day.