• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva: Stations with entrances in shopping parades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Uxbridge on the Metropolitan Line is far more like a mainline station than an Underground station, being on the surface and a terminus, and it's entrance is very much within a shopping parade!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
Uxbridge on the Metropolitan Line is far more like a mainline station than an Underground station, being on the surface and a terminus, and it's entrance is very much within a shopping parade!

Interesting , I had to look twice as it is almost identical to Southgate on the Picadilly line.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The very busy Town Hall station in the Sydney CBD is directly connected (underground) to several adjacent shopping centres, notably the Queen Victoria Building.

Mikey C

Established Member
Interesting , I had to look twice as it is almost identical to Southgate on the Picadilly line.
To me Southgate is a bit different, as while there may be shops within it, it's a separate and discrete building with roads all around it, whereas Uxbridge is within a regular parade of shops

D6130

Established Member
Several large Italian stations have a large shopping centre inside the station entrance. Milano Centrale and Venezia Santa Lucia come to mind.

Wolfie

Established Member
I can't speak for Metro Centre as I have never been there but I'm not sure Meadowhell would meet the criteria for being within a shopping centre as you enter the shopping centre from the train station via a walkway which takes you over the bus station, Meadowhall Rd and River Don.
Similar, on a smaller scale, at Chafford 100 for Lakeside although there is a street entrance too.

timmydunn

I've just realised I can search my name in the search box and it returns all sorts of things. ;) So:

Wimbledon Chase was built with shops and the building survives - other stations on the Wimbledon and Sutton have lost their (smaller) ones.
Southgate Piccadilly Line has an impressive parade matching the station but it isn't integral (not that that stopped Tim Dunn...:) )

Absolutely didn't stop us - the programme is called "The Architecture The Railways Built" - so covers structures built by/with/for railway organisations; not necessarily directly rail operations. Southgate is a perfect example of how a railway influences an entire townscape; yet probably most people wouldn't give it a second thought. Incidentally the Nando's at the end of the parade has some exceptionally fine original features, but wouldn't permit filming . see lighting cluster on 1st floor - i nipped in to do a quick survey.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.