• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: aptly named stations, in a literal sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
There's a station on the Buxton line called Middlewood, which quite literally serves the middle of a wood.

Are there any other stations which are named in a similar literally accurate fashion?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vic-rijrode

There's a station on the Buxton line called Middlewood, which quite literally serves the middle of a wood.

Are there any other stations which are named in a similar literally accurate fashion?
The Lakes on the Tyseley - Stratford line? Although there is only one lake but with two branches.

Sheridan

Tŷ Croes means ‘Crossing House’, which is pretty accurate as there is a level crossing and box there, and not a whole lot more in the immediate vicinity.

_toommm_

Established Member
Is Valley in a valley?

Conversely, Flowery Field is neither flowery nor in a field.

Sheridan

Is Valley in a valley?
Valley (the settlement) got its name because a lot of the earth for the Stanley Embankment was dug out from that area, leaving a ‘valley’ of sorts. It’s pretty flat these days though!

pdeaves

Established Member
I suppose the majority of stations are appropriately named as being in the place whose name they carry...
(not all, obviously!)

Is Edgware Road on the road to Edgware?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I suppose the majority of stations are appropriately named as being in the place whose name they carry...
(not all, obviously!)

Is Edgware Road on the road to Edgware?

Amazingly (given the lack of logic of some names in London), the nearby road after which the stations are named does - eventually; it's a long bike ride - get you to Edgware (via several other road names en route, though it's one continuous and pretty straight road [part of the Roman road Watling Street], and it keeps reverting to "Edgware Road").

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Hayle accurately describes the weather when I was there, and I thought Staines could do with a clean. But Altrincham hasn't changed much.

mrcheek

Established Member
I was very disappointed to find an absence of the necessary facilities at Looe

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Amazingly (given the lack of logic of some names in London), the nearby road after which the stations are named does - eventually; it's a long bike ride - get you to Edgware (via several other road names en route, though it's one continuous and pretty straight road [part of the Roman road Watling Street], and it keeps reverting to "Edgware Road").
Likewise both "London Roads" are on roads leading to London, and Manchester Oxford Road is on the A34 which goes to Oxford.

Many London street names do lead to their eponymous towns or suburbs (Edgware Road, Fulham Road, Brighton Road, Great Dover Street etc but others are named after the Earl, Duke or other worthy who owned the land at the time the area was first built on e.g Liverpool Street, Northumberland Avenue, Gloucester Road, Leicester Square. Oxford Street is part of the A40 which goes to Oxford, but that is a coincidence.

DelW

Established Member
On the cross city line between Birmingham and Lichfield is Gravelly Hill station serving an Edwardian suburb built on the slopes of a (presumably gravelly) hill.

Mikey C

Established Member
There's a disappointing lack of a sandwich shop at Sandwich station!

RH Liner

More the opposite. Shirebrook used to have three stations, North (formerly Langwith Junction), South, and West. The reopened station on the Robin Hood Line is the one previously labelled West. It’s on the eastern edge of the town.

urbophile

Established Member
Hassocks allegedly was so named on account of the clumps of grass in the then open fields, resembling stools or church kneeling cushions.

D6975

Established Member
I suspect that there are lots of xxxx Road and xxxx Street stations around. We have 2 here in Bristol alone, Lawrence Hill and Parson Street.

Anyone who has done the trek from Falkirk Grahamston to Falkirk High will be aware of the latter's name being appropriate.

nw1

Established Member
Rainhill and Rainford are fairly descriptive.

When I first passed through Rainham (Kent), on the second Network Day in 1986, it pretty well summed up the weather of that day. Though I believe the climate in this area is generally relatively dry.

To paraphrase Robert Louis Stephenson, to arrive at Hope station can be a disappointment.

Oh I don't know. On a nice day it's a pretty nice area. (Disclaimer: all my visits were in the late 90s, arriving at Hope having done the classic walk from Edale on the southern ridge)

Canterbury West is north of the city centre, Canterbury East is south of it

I found the geography of central Canterbury a bit confusing when I first visited in 1986 (same trip as Rainham, see above), arriving at West and departing from East. For some reason I imagined West to be on the south side and East to be on the north side, but that's maybe because I arrived from the Ashford direction (i.e. south of Canterbury) and departed in the Faversham direction (i.e. north of Canterbury).

Dean (Wilts) is in a valley (which is the meaning of 'dean' in most cases), but more normally, a 'dean' is a steep-sided valley in chalk country. Dean (Wilts) instead has a steep ridge (Dean Hill) to the south, but perhaps three or four miles of gradually rising land to the north before dropping away similarly steeply north of that - so not really a classic 'dean'.

Last edited:

mjmason1996

There's quite a few on the Tyne and Wear Metro that fit the literal category:
Monument
Airport
Central Station
Also others that are derived from very literal place names:
Four Lane Ends (Junction between four major roads)
Tynemouth (Located at the mouth of the Tyne)
Wallsend (The historical eastern end point of Hadrian's Wall)

mrcheek

Established Member
At Crewe, you will sometimes find.. a crew. waiting for the changeover

Status
Not open for further replies.