• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Areas that a class 158 have never been on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
The 158 have been aroud for many years and have been everwhere from Wick to Penzance which has got me wondered. Is there anywhere else that a class 158 has never run on?

Other than anywhere on the London Underground network obviously

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
West Highlands
Anywhere in the former territory of Network South East other than the Waterloo - Exeter line and local lines in west Hants and Dorset

joncombe

I was thinking that.

Have they ever been between Bournemouth and Dorchester South?
158s certainly ran between Weymouth, Dorchester and Wareham when SWR briefly ran summer Saturday only service to Corde Castle. Not sure about Bournemouth though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most of Merseyrail :)

Doubt one has ever been to Hadfield - DMUs have from time to time but that I recall they were 142s and 150s when they have.

They don't fit down the Conwy Valley or around the Cumbrian Coast past Millom (I think) so those are fairly safe too.

plugwash

Established Member
Not sure about Bournemouth though.
I remember in the BR era being on a manchester to bournmouth service that was substituted by a DMU. I remember being very disappointed when seeing the DMU but pleasently surprised when I actually got on.

I can't say for 100% sure but I suspect it was a 158.

aliceh

158s certainly ran between Weymouth, Dorchester and Wareham when SWR briefly ran summer Saturday only service to Corde Castle. Not sure about Bournemouth though.
They'll have gone beyond as far as Branksome to get into Bournemouth depot. But Branksome to Wareham may never have seen one.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think they're cleared on the Marston Vale so not there I suspect. Would also be surprised if one had been to Aylesbury, they'd not be allowed past Amersham due to lack of tripcocks.

superalbs

Established Member
I was thinking that.

Have they ever been between Bournemouth and Dorchester South?
I've had a 159 from Weymouth to Wareham, if that counts?

Have they made it to the depot at Bournemouth, perhaps for the Lymington branch?

JN114

Established Member
On Western/Wales Region

Never Heathrow T4/T5
Never Windsor
Never Bourne End/Marlow
Never Gunnislake
Never Looe
Unlikely Greenford
Unlikely Henley
Unlikely Newquay

Never Radyr-Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr
Unlikely Cardiff Bay
Unlikely Heart of Wales?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Anywhere in the former territory of Network South East other than the Waterloo - Exeter line and local lines in west Hants and Dorset
Within the NSE area, 158s have operated at least

London Waterloo - Woking - Basingstoke - Exeter
London Waterloo - Richmond / Hounslow - Woking
Brighton - Fareham - Southampton - Salisbury
Fareham - Eastleigh
Eastleigh - Romsey
Basingstoke - Southampton
Reading - Basingstoke
London Paddington - Didcot Parkway
Didcot Parkway - Bicester Town
Portsmouth Harbour - Southampton - Salisbury
Portsmouth Harbour - Guildford - Reading - Banbury
Guildford - Woking
London Waterloo - Acton Main Line via Kensington Olympia
London Euston - Rugby
Colchester - Manningtree
Stansted Airport - Ely

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
SWRs diesel fleet regularly goes to Bournemouth depot for C4 exams
I also think when those short lived Wareham services were operating in 2019, in the middle of the day they didn’t hang around in Wareham, they may have run empty to Bournemouth? I seem to remember what was in the published timetable didn’t always happen - there were various weekends with crewing problems.

superalbs

Established Member
I also think when those short lived Wareham services were operating in 2019, in the middle of the day they didn’t hang around in Wareham, they may have run empty to Bournemouth? I seem to remember what was in the published timetable didn’t always happen - there were various weekends with crewing problems.
They went to Corfe Castle! :)

tom1649

I don't think they are allowed from Hazel Grove to Buxton. I've never seen one.

boiledbeans2

Within the NSE area, 158s have operated at least

London Waterloo - Woking - Basingstoke - Exeter
London Waterloo - Richmond / Hounslow - Woking
Brighton - Fareham - Southampton - Salisbury
Fareham - Eastleigh
Eastleigh - Romsey
Basingstoke - Southampton
Reading - Basingstoke
London Paddington - Didcot Parkway
Didcot Parkway - Bicester Town
Portsmouth Harbour - Southampton - Salisbury
Portsmouth Harbour - Guildford - Reading - Banbury
Guildford - Woking
London Waterloo - Acton Main Line via Kensington Olympia
London Euston - Rugby
Colchester - Manningtree
Stansted Airport - Ely
Are Class 158/159 cleared on the New Guildford Line?

At London Road, there's a 3-car stop marker and I've always wondered which trains they were intended for. The only other 3-car trains I can think of in the area are the Turbos.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I remember in the BR era being on a manchester to bournmouth service that was substituted by a DMU. I remember being very disappointed when seeing the DMU but pleasently surprised when I actually got on.

I can't say for 100% sure but I suspect it was a 158.
Yes, CrossCountry used to run 158s on their services which went via Reading and Guildford - I remember seeing them go past at Wokingham.

Here's a special on the Cotswold Line: http://www.hondawanderer.com/158956_156405_Moreton-in-Marsh_2003.htm

Geeves

Established Member
I don't think the line beyond Barrow to Carlisle has ever seen 158s. I think that's the only place in the NW.

route101

Established Member
A lot of the Glasgow network. Has one ever made it to East Kilbride?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I don't think they are allowed from Hazel Grove to Buxton. I've never seen one.
I recall being told they were cleared to Buxton and the Sectional Appendix confirms this but I doubt if one has ever been on the route, Buxton would not sign them and in the days when Piccadilly has cl158 work to Cumbria etc the link(s) which signed them didn't sign Buxton.

Status
Not open for further replies.