• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; best hotels for rail views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Sun

For curiosity, I searched with difficulty for train services to/from Bodo on the Internet. I couldn't find the timetables on the NSB (Norwegian State Railways) website, but eventually found that these rail services, along with all others in Norway to the north of Oslo beyond its metropolitan area, are now run by SJ (Swedish Railways). I suppose this is no different from Deutsche Bahn running many rail services in GB via its ownership of Arriva, but at least in GB the timetables can be found via the National Rail website.

There are actually additional shorter-distance trains from Bodo, mostly on weekdays only. in additional to the 2 daily trains to Trondheim.
When I was last there, a few years ago. The services were still run by NSB and only two services day. The bus from Narvik missed the daytime Trondheim bound train at Fauske, so ended up spenting a day in Bobo to get the night train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eoff

xotGD

Established Member
The Birmingham Moor St Travelodge has views of the lines out of Moor St and approaching New St. I could hear the 68s on the morning turns to Marylebone. Which was nice.

The Premier Inn in Darlington has views of the line north of the station.

furnessvale

Established Member
Zum Roten Oxen at Lahnstein on the Rhine. The all night (and day) freights are so close you could lean out of the bedroom window to touch them.

Same at a small motel at Eagle, Colorado as a 12 engine freight went up Tennessee Pass (now closed) at 2.30am.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Excellent unobstructed station views from the Novotel Brussels Centre Midi Station, TGVs, ICEs, E* and plenty of local and intercity units and locos

midi-station.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hotel BB, Paris Malakoff ( half way between Porte de Vanves and Malakoff Plateau de Vanves on Metro 13 ).

The upper three floors have an excellent view of the lines just outside Montparnasse and if you ask nicely when you make the booking, they'll allocate you a room on that side. Be aware that it's only double and family rooms on those floors, so you may have to pay a little bit more than you would for a single, but as you can see it's worth it.

Attachments

• Sep 2018 004.JPG
    Sep 2018 004.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • Sep 2018 008.JPG
    Sep 2018 008.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Sep 2018 013.JPG
    Sep 2018 013.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 22

robbeech

Established Member
Hilton Manchester Airport if you get a room pointing the right way you'll get a view of stuff in and out of the station, trams, and of course planes too. I always used to ask for one, but now i seem to just get allocated one, perhaps they know it's what i want when they see my account.

IMG_5741.JPG

Last edited:

lxfe_mxtterz

Having stayed at the Hampton by Hilton Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, I can say that if you get a room on the right (i.e. correct, not literal right, to avoid confusion) side, you can get some pretty nice views of the trams and trains passing St Paul's.

Lovely hotel, but in not-so-great an area!

meepmeep

The Holiday Inn Express Stockport looks out over the station if you are on the correct side and on one of the higher floors

AlbertBeale

Established Member
In Turin, I've stayed at hotels in both Via Cernaia and Piazza Diciotto Dicembre (near their mutual corner, in each case) from the windows of which (if you're on the road side of the building) you can see the historic original - though no longer used as a station - 19th century Porta Susa station (though not the trains, which are below road level). That location is of course also convenient for the new (rather less charming, but not quite as alien\ting as many modern glass and concrete stations) Torino PS, about 100 yards along the line. I sometimes break a journey in Turin when travelling between London and points further south, since London-Turin and vv is an easy day-time journey, and Turin is a nice place.

ashworth

Established Member
All the rooms at back of the Travelodge at Vauxhall in London are very near to the tracks and overlook the station. The slightly more expensive super rooms are also quite good for a Travelodge.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Sidings near York. Quite close to the railway line ;) We have stayed there and it was very nice, apart form the coal train at 3 am.....................

xotGD

Established Member
Last year we stayed in the Hotel Embassy in Firenze. Views over the main station including diesel locos on push-pull passenger services from the nearest platforms giving some thrash on departure.

Oh, and you can see the cathedral too!

gg1

Established Member
A couple in London with good railway views, obviously dependant on which side and which floor your room is on:

Park Plaza Waterloo provides excellent views of the approaches to, oddly enough, Waterloo.
Travelodge Southwark is sited on the corner where the Blackfriars line crosses over the Charing Cross line.

eoff

Adding to my Edinburgh list in case anyone cares as I forgot about the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton in the old PTs building. This will have a few rooms with a view of the east end of Waverley, track, Calton Hill and possibly Salisbury Crags.

philjo

Established Member
The best has to be Hotel Griscuna at Filisur in Switzerland overlooking the RhB station.
I stayed at Hotel Griscuna in 2017. The windows from my room Had good views of the track and platforms. Less then a minute after leaving the Bernina Express to walk to the hotel !

The B&B at Corrour was good though needS planning due to limited service !

Had a good view of the tracks From my room at Salzburg a few years ago but unfortunately they had the rail grinder out for several hours that night just outside my window !
Ibis next to Amsterdam Centrale -my room looked down on the platforms.

EssexGonzo

The Mercure in Mulhouse has a reasonable view of a very large station with a bonus tram in the foreground.

Ralph Ayres

The Great Northern at King's Cross (an expensive treat for a special occasion!) has spectacular views of the new concourse roof from the bedroom we stayed in.

raetiamann

Berline's NH Friedrichstrasse hotel looks over the tracks at Friedrichstrasse station, on the eastern side of the Stadtbahn, though as a hotel I prefer the Melia just over the tracks, which has a very limited number of options overlooking the rail and river

The best has to be Hotel Griscuna at Filisur in Switzerland overlooking the RhB station.

The hotel also has rail enthusiast breaks, arranged a few times over the year, or at least it did pre Co-vid!

Last edited:

On Moderation
I can think of a few examples. Hotel Amaris is right outside Olten station in Switzerland, and this is the view from the bedrooms... Olten is well worth a visit for anyone interested in railways for the sheer volume and variety of traffic.
Olten.jpg

In Germany, the InterCity Hotels are often located at/near stations, like this one at Berlin Hbf.
Berlin.jpg

Crawley Ben

I’ve previously stayed at the Premier Inn York North West, and the room had a decent view over the East Coast Main Line, was quite happy watching the trains pass by.

The Future Inn at Cardiff Bay also has views of the Celsa Steel Works from the upper floors. Saw a class 08 shunter trundling up and down.

Ben

Farang

"Opened on 21 June 2013, the aDLERS Hotel is the tallest hotel in Innsbruck and offers panoramic views of the city and the Tyrolean Alps from the rooms, the restaurant, the spa area, and the rooftop terrace." www.booking.com

And good views of the railway line too.

Status
Not open for further replies.