• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Best Timetables Published By TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
What are the best timetables published by TOCs on the network, for me London North Western/West Midlands Railway-Northern Rail, they include times from other TOCs in there timetables were it's relevant.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought main operators in an area were obliged to show services by all TOCs. It shouldn't really be noteworthy if they do.

higthomas

The GWR and SWR timetable books are great. A really thorough useful resource.

class387

Established Member
Chiltern's codes for a 168, 172 and LHCS service is good, as is GWR distinguishing between HSTs, 387s and 180s.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's a shame that the OP stipulated "by TOC's", because otherwise it would have given me the chance to highlight the excellent West Yorkshire timetable produced by West Yorkshire Metro, highlighting all the routes radiating from west Yorkshire.

It would have also allowed me to highlight the terrible decision to discontinue production of this excellent booklet.

Veteran Member
It's a shame that the OP stipulated "by TOC's", because otherwise it would have given me the chance to highlight the excellent West Yorkshire timetable produced by West Yorkshire Metro, highlighting all the routes radiating from west Yorkshire.

It would have also allowed me to highlight the terrible decision to discontinue production of this excellent booklet.

That doesn't seem to have stopped you :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That doesn't seem to have stopped you :)

I am a bit annoyed (incandescent with blind rage) about the situation. My employers are being visited by those promoting sustainable transport next week, so I will mention it then.

route101

Established Member
I find the TPE Scotiish ones useful as they include VT times .
The Central Scotland Scotrail timetables can be confusing as they show both Queen St and Waverley times in the same table , i would find it easier if they split them .

MontyP

I don't know about the best, but the worst are definitely VTEC - they look like someone on work experience knocked them up in 10 mins in Excel

Andyh82

Established Member
I don't know about the best, but the worst are definitely VTEC - they look like someone on work experience knocked them up in 10 mins in Excel
I assume the thread is discussing the paper timetables, not the web ones. Although the paper one is also available online as well.

Are VTEC the only operator to still use the old BR/Intercity timetable size for their booklets?

Established Member
Difficult to say which is best unless you’ve sampled all of them. The GA ones I use are fine but I’ve no idea how they compare to others.

lyndhurst25

Established Member

WYPTE / WYCA have recently replied to a Freedom of Information request about the cost of producing the last edition of West Yorkshire Metro rail timetable booklet and individual line leaflets. Here's a summary:

Individual line leaflets
Number produced - between 15000 (Penistone line) and 50000 (Wharfedale line) for each of the 12 lines
Cost of typesetting - £2930
Cost of printing - £16950

Combined booklet
Number produced - 35000
Cost of typesetting - £250 (low as the booklet is basically a compilation of the individual line leaflets)
Cost of printing - £19946

If all the typesetting costs are transferred to the booklet, then that works out at 66p per booklet. They haven't mentioned distribution costs.
If the booklet was reintroduced and funding wasn't available, I wonder how much a paid version could be done for? I doubt that they'd sell anywhere near 35000 though.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/west_yorkshire_combined_authority

route101

Established Member
I find the Arriva Trains wales ones hard to pick out the times plust all the welsh text too .

yorksrob

Veteran Member
WYPTE / WYCA have recently replied to a Freedom of Information request about the cost of producing the last edition of West Yorkshire Metro rail timetable booklet and individual line leaflets. Here's a summary:

Individual line leaflets
Number produced - between 15000 (Penistone line) and 50000 (Wharfedale line) for each of the 12 lines
Cost of typesetting - £2930
Cost of printing - £16950

Combined booklet
Number produced - 35000
Cost of typesetting - £250 (low as the booklet is basically a compilation of the individual line leaflets)
Cost of printing - £19946

If all the typesetting costs are transferred to the booklet, then that works out at 66p per booklet. They haven't mentioned distribution costs.
If the booklet was reintroduced and funding wasn't available, I wonder how much a paid version could be done for? I doubt that they'd sell anywhere near 35000 though.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/west_yorkshire_combined_authority

Northern Rail is now producing various timetables as part of its franchise agreement. I don't understand why WYCA don't continue to produce the booklets and just charge it to Northern instead.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Chiltern's codes for a 168, 172 and LHCS service is good, as is GWR distinguishing between HSTs, 387s and 180s.

GWR will have to distinguish in the near future when everything with their replacing HSTs has settled down. No 180s with them any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.