• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: BR stations served by all three passenger sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
During the BR sector era, there were three passenger carrying sectors, Intercity, Network Southeast, Regional railways. Each sector was responsible for their own stations. But, were there any stations that all three served on scheduled services? I'm not meaning occasions where a passenger rake belonging to NSE was loaned to Intercity, but a regular train, scheduled to be operated by that sector?

To set the ball rolling, Exeter st. Davids, with the local trains formed of DMUs for Regional, the Intercity trains from London Paddington, and elsewhere, and then the exeter st. Davids - Waterloo trains of NSE.

Peterborough is another station to have all three sectors serving it.

Any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Peterborough.

NSE stoppers to Kings Cross, InterCity East Coast and miscellaneous East/West RR services.

Last edited:

SWTCommuter

Southampton Central
InterCity cross-country services to the Midlands and North
Regional Railways to Portsmouth, Bristol and Cardiff
NSE for the rest.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Birmingham International. Portsmouth.

Was Northampton regularly served by Intercity in the sector era?

Last edited:

robertclark125

Established Member
Regional railways used to share the London Paddington - Worcester route with Intercity, so mark London Paddington as a location where all three sectors ran as well.

Veteran Member
I'm a bit hazy over the dates, but wasn't there a RR DMU working up the GWML from South Wales in the evening, returning early morning, for some years?
And the Eurostar connections into Waterloo from the same direction?

I don't recall the exact details and don't have a TT handy but think Reading, Waterloo (HST's from the North) and Basingstoke might qualify.

And did any RR workings reach Banbury from the North?

harz99

I'm a bit hazy over the dates, but wasn't there a RR DMU working up the GWML from South Wales in the evening, returning early morning, for some years?
And the Eurostar connections into Waterloo from the same direction?

I don't recall the exact details and don't have a TT handy but think Reading, Waterloo (HST's from the North) and Basingstoke might qualify.

And did any RR workings reach Banbury from the North?

Not sure you should count the dedicated Eurostar connecting trains as InterCity. They were only available to passengers with Eurostar tickets, nothing else; for instance my Peterborough to London season was not allowed.

Last edited:

Midlandman

Exeter St David's. NSE for the Waterloo trains, RR for Barnstaple, Exmouth and Torbay stoppers, IC for the rest

jimm

Established Member
Regional railways used to share the London Paddington - Worcester route with Intercity, so mark London Paddington as a location where all three sectors ran as well.

Using NSE stock as well (class 166).

In a word, no. Until 1993 Regional Railways ran Hereford/Malvern/Worcester-Oxford stopping services, which went no further east than Oxford, and there were a handful of InterCity services to/from Hereford. So Oxford was a location where IC, NSE and RR all operated.

From 1993, NSE took over the Oxford-Worcester/Malvern service from Regional Railways and began through running all day to/from Paddington with brand new Class 166s.

paul1609

Established Member
Brighton, Havant, Fratton, Portsmouth S/S Portsmouth harbour, Southampton Central, Clapham junction, Basingstoke, Weymouth, during the Eurostar link years Waterloo, Exeter St Davids.

Status
Not open for further replies.