• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus firms with unfortunate nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Thames Travel usually gets called Thames Trouble, Reading Buses is Regular Breakdowns and Arriva The Shires gets nicknamed Arriva Slowly and Often Not At All :D

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Rotala Groups Diremond (Diamond) North West... at one stage service was dire due to a massive exodus of ex Worst (First) staff.

Central Disconnect (Central Connect, now part of Diamond WM) was a other as huge parts of its network was disconnected from others.

A bit OT but does anyone remember Nationalised Distress when DOR took on NX East Coast.

Last edited:

unlevel42

in addition to the observations above, in the 80s when the Sheffield to Hanley bus was late for its departure and had not arrived at its stand in Pond Street it was not uncommon for some students to shout very loudly and in an agitated state "Where the **** is the PMT bus? Where the**** is it? etc, etc,". It was funny the first time but became very irritating!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Countryliner was known as "Binliner", although this seemed to come more from other operators' coach drivers, rather than the public/enthusiasts towards their bus division.

danielnez1

I know this is not strictly on topic but when Arriva NE thrust the Temsa Avenue buses upon the poor people of Teesside, they had a press release calling them "Turkish Delight". That quickly changed to "Turkish Alight" after a number of them burnt themselves out.

gka472l

Also not quite on topic as it's a real name, but I'm sure a few of us on here have heard of the German coach operator with an 'interesting' name.......

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always found PMT an unfortunate name. Clearly given that abbrieviation by men who may not have realised the abbreviation is much more common for Pre-Menstrual Tension.

I thought that when I first saw it, particularly during Barbie days when it just said First(f) PMT. Goodness knows why they didn't just put Potteries.

I've always assumed Arriva to be pronounced "Areeva" which wouldn't make that work so well. Is that not the case?

I've heard them referred to as "Non Arriva", which does fit. And First of course naturally just goes to Farce (or Worst as others say). Not classic ones like the others, though.

When I was at uni we called UK North "UK & S****" because they were, but we were probably just being crude. (It was in its first incarnation called "UK & North" with the ampersand, dropped in a later incarnation). And R Bullock was the "B******s Bus", though that was with quite a bit more fondness (think "the dog's") as they were OK. I don't recall Finglands getting a nickname.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Goodness knows why they didn't just put Potteries.
To be fair to First, it's a long-standing fleetname. However, for a spell in c.1980/1, the NBC did toy with Potteries as a fleetname, as this pic from Cliff the Milk shows:

I'm a little surprised that you've not proferred up MK Metro as MK Deathrow as one of my friends in the area referred to them.

ACBest

Back when Arriva The Shires went through a spate of bus fires, I heard them being referred to as Arriva The Fires!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
A colleague used to refer to Stagecoach's Hastings Arrows as 'Hastings No-shows' on account of their reliability (or lack of it) back then.

TheManWho

Back when Arriva The Shires went through a spate of bus fires, I heard them being referred to as Arriva The Fires!
I know one local company MD in Hertfordshire used to replace the "r" in The Shires with a "t"

nw1

Established Member
Also not quite on topic as it's a real name, but I'm sure a few of us on here have heard of the German coach operator with an 'interesting' name.......

Are we thinking something related to mountains directly east of Garmisch? Or suburbs of Bern?

;)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Well, if we're going international...

There was a proposal to operate a metro service on the line through Huancayo, Peru. There is an official photograph of one of the units bought to operate the service, proudly bearing a destination blind with 'Metro Wa**a'. I daren't upload it here.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This isn't a company name, but I've seen photos where "Extrafahrt" is displayed on destination blinds in (I think) Switzerland. I believe it means "special excursion".

py_megapixel

Established Member
This isn't a company name, but I've seen photos where "Extrafahrt" is displayed on destination blinds in (I think) Switzerland. I believe it means "special excursion".
Literally means "Additional journey", so yes, I guess that could be what it means, though I've never seen it myself

Ken H

On Moderation
Fahrt usually means excursion in German. My mum laughed at superfahrt.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It means "additional journey", could be a special run or a duplicate. Though "Sonderfahrt" might also be used for a special run.

JRT

It means "additional journey", could be a special run or a duplicate. Though "Sonderfahrt" might also be used for a special run.
Yeah, Extrafahrt = duplicate to an existing service, and Sonderfahrt = a special service, could be a summer-only timetabled journey or an excursion.

Trackman

Established Member
I've been on Cumfybus that serve Greater Manchester(?) and Merseyside.
A couple of the vinyl letters had been peeled away on the door.
I noticed it straight away and had a bit of a childish giggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.