• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:- Bus routes passing over toll bridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
I am sure there are some obvious ones in Scotland but I nominate the Stagecoach S1 service between Oxford and Carterton.

It travels over a toll bridge between Eynsham and Oxford.

I travelled on this route for the first time today.

Now over to you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Go North East route 9 passes through the Tyne Tunnel. I know it's not a bridge, but it is a toll road.

pdq

There will be a few in Pembrokeshire that go over the Cleddau Bridge.

Hophead

Established Member
Ensignbus X80 runs both over a toll bridge and through a toll tunnel! Although both of these are the Dartford Crossing. The route runs between Chafford Hundred and Bluewater via Lakeside.

alex397

Established Member
Ensignbus X80 between Chafford Hundred Station, Lakeside Shopping Centre in Essex and Bluewater Shopping Centre in Kent.

It cross the very busy Dartford Crossing (QE2 Bridge southbound, tunnel northbound), which is still a toll crossing.

It is the only bus service across the bridge.

sonic2009

Established Member
Most Arriva & Halton Transport buses travel over the new Mersey Gateway bridge between Runcorn & Widnes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There will be a few in Pembrokeshire that go over the Cleddau Bridge.

Indeed - that was my first thought, having done it this time last year on the 349 and 356. You also have the Severn Express from Bristol to Chepstow and Newport.

I'd also nominate the Tamar Bridge - everything to Saltash goes over that, and that's a lot of services

MotCO

Established Member
What about Go Ahead's route 50 which crosses Poole Harbour to Sandbanks on a ferry? Is this unique, or do any other scheduled bus services use a ferry?

Wirewiper

Going Forward Buses route 142 (Goring - Reading) uses the Whitchurch Toll Bridge between Pangbourne and Whitchurch-on-Thames.

randyrippley

Established Member
Buses between Lancaster - Knott End - Fleetwood used to run over the Shard Bridge (over the River Wyre) until it was replaced in the early 1990's. Stagecoach Ribble @ Morecambe had a fleet of three Dennis buses with high-density 3+2 seats to cope with the school kids as nothing heavier was allowed across.
I understand the three were purchased as a trial for the south coast (Bournemouth sticks in the memory), but were rapidly sent north to cope with the demand. Anyone else remember or know more about them?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Technically it’s a floating bridge, and as it has a toll....
Never heard it described as anything other than a chain ferry: if it's floating. the chain has broken and it's made a bid to join the Brittany Ferries fleet down river!:lol:

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The Stagecoach Oxfordshire route 11 (Oxford to Witney via numerous villages) crosses the same bridge as the S1. Given the toll is only 5p, such a small sum can create lengthy delays in the rush hours...

Statto

Established Member
I know it's not Bridges but, both Mersey Tunnels with quite a few routes using the Birkenhead[Queensway]Tunnel, & 420-432-433 using the Wallasey[Kingsway]Tunnel.

317 forever

Established Member
What about Go Ahead's route 50 which crosses Poole Harbour to Sandbanks on a ferry? Is this unique, or do any other scheduled bus services use a ferry?

In 2002 I rode a Stagecoach bus from Dunoon to Rothesay on the Isle of Bute via a ferry. That network was sold to West Coast Motors in 2004 but I don't know whether that service still runs. It might have been a through route on Saturdays only.

Mwanesh

Severn Express linking Bristol and Newport via Chepstow uses the Severn bridge

PR1Berske

Established Member
I know it's not Bridges but, both Mersey Tunnels with quite a few routes using the Birkenhead[Queensway]Tunnel, & 420-432-433 using the Wallasey[Kingsway]Tunnel.
Came here to suggest these very services!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The Stagecoach Oxfordshire route 11 (Oxford to Witney via numerous villages) crosses the same bridge as the S1. Given the toll is only 5p, such a small sum can create lengthy delays in the rush hours...

Which is why the Welsh Government bought out the Porthmadog Cob causeway toll - little cost, long delays. That used to delay services from Minffordd direction

enrag2000

Buses between Lancaster - Knott End - Fleetwood used to run over the Shard Bridge (over the River Wyre) until it was replaced in the early 1990's. Stagecoach Ribble @ Morecambe had a fleet of three Dennis buses with high-density 3+2 seats to cope with the school kids as nothing heavier was allowed across.
I understand the three were purchased as a trial for the south coast (Bournemouth sticks in the memory), but were rapidly sent north to cope with the demand. Anyone else remember or know more about them?

In the 1960s, Ribble service 85 (Blackpool-Knott End) was worked by double--decks and the conductor would go round the bus when approaching the Shard Bridge to collect one (old) penny from each passenger and hand the money to the toll collector!

Hornet

76A Tallaght to Blanchardstown via the Westlink Toll Bridge and the 142 Portmarnock to UCD via the Tolled Port Tunnel. Both Dublin Bus services.

Status
Not open for further replies.