• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus Routes Which Serve Different Locations Dependent on Day Of Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all.

(Apologies for the tedious title - I did try and summarise in as few words as possible!)

Earlier today, I randomly discovered a bus route which serves serves multiple locations, but each depending on specific days of the week (I hope that makes sense!)

Anyway, the route in question is the 520 operated by Stagecoach, which runs between Aldershot and Guildford or Woking.

17067905-AE7B-439E-AC91-4C0453EFDF3A.jpeg

As you can see in the timetable, the route only operates on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but serves Guildford instead of Woking on Tuesdays and Fridays, and Woking instead of Guildford on Wednesdays (confusing, I know!) o_O

The route map may better help to illustrate this:

0E916FA5-0CAD-4CD4-835F-A07EF5FD6015.jpeg

This is the only example I know of a bus route where this occurs.

Are there any other services like this?

I look forward to hearing responses about possible other similar services! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Woking has another one too. Carlone’s route 593 runs Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays over a core section between Staines and Ottershaw. Beyond there, on Mondays it runs to Woking, and on Wednesdays and Fridays it runs to Brooklands via Addlestone.

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/9341/593-020316.pdf

Another example is yet another Surrey County Council-funded route - White Bus’ 500. Monday to Friday it operates between Staines and Frimley Park Hospital, but on Saturdays it diverts after Camberley to serve The Meadows (M&S/Tesco) instead.

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/7777/500-White-Bus-020919.pdf

Last edited:

Martin2012

I'm sure that the former Mike's Travel route between Thornbury and Gloucester served different places en route on different days of the week.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There’s a couple in Lincolnshire that I can think of.

The 10 in Scunthorpe that serves the Parklands Caravan Site on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. It serves Scunthorpe on Tuesdays and Fridays, but runs to Ashby on Thursdays. A recent further complication is the extension of the Friday journeys to Burringham.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...s/Scunthorpe/EMID-TT-Scunthorpe-010-Sep19.pdf

The other example in the Fens is the 43 operates by Fowler’s Travel. It runs Sutton St James to Spalding Mon-Wed/Fri/Sat but on Thursdays heads the opposite way over the border into Cambridgeshire to reach Wisbech.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/TTB/EFA02__0000096c_TP.pdf

njlawley

Salisbury Reds 25 & 26.

25 serves Wincanton on Tuesdays and Saturdays only. The Tuesday journeys serve Gillingham on other days of the week, meaning that one journey each way on the 26 runs to Gillingham in its place instead of its usual terminus of Hindon. On Saturdays, one 26 in each direction serves different villages compared with weekdays.

This was all done because Wiltshire Council (whose tender the 25 and 26 forms most of) withdrew market day services 28 and 84, with these variations introduced to cover them.

matt_world2004

Established Member
183 in London goes to the jewish free school during school chuck out and drop off time. However does not on Saturdays and outside term time.

Wirewiper

Filers Travel route 303 in North Devon operates between Barnstaple, Braunton and Woolacombe/Mortehoe, but the 0945 from Woolacombe and the 13.50 from Barnstaple operate via a different route. On most days of the week the bus deviates from the main route to take in the villages of West Down and Heaton Punchardon, but on Tuesdays only the bus takes a completely different route between Mullacott Cross and Barnstaple via Guineaford Bridge, thereby omitting Braunston.

I've attached a PDF map of the 303 to illustrate.

Attachments

• Filers303.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
Not that uncommon in the sticks, usually variations centre round market days

bussnapperwm

Established Member
The former igo service89 at one stage would do Balsall Common to Solihull via Meriden 3 days a week on service 89, with the other 3 days being Meriden to Coventry via Balsall Common as service 89

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I actually used one last Thursday - though it isn't one you'll find on Google or even the bustimes website.

Little White Bus run their "Richmondshire Rover" service every day of the week from Catterick to Richmond. The service then continues to either Barnard Castle (Monday/Friday), Teesside Park (Tuesday), Northallerton (Wednesday), or Ripon (Thursday), usually with a degree of doubling back. All seem to be operated by the same minibus.

On some of these corridors there are other routes providing services every day of the week, but not via all of the most rural villages. For example, when I travelled between Richmond and Ripon, I returned northwards using a Dales and District bus, which whilst slower (and no good for Catterick) was less cramped and much cheaper.

A0wen

On Moderation
In Herts the 242 which Mon-Sat is a Potters Bar - Cuffley - Waltham Cross service (though much reduced with an imminent timetable change) on Sunday is a Waltham Cross - Cuffley - Potters Bar - Brookmans Park - Hatfield - Welwyn Garden City service.

Pat1105

The 113/4/5/6 routes operated by Arriva Midlands between Telford and Bridgnorth are a good example.
113 runs Telford to Bridgnorth Tuesdays and Thursdays (via Norton)
114 runs Telford to Bridgnorth Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays (via Worfield)
115 runs Weston Heath to Bridgnorth Saturdays only (via Norton)
116 runs Weston Heath to Bridgnorth Saturdays only (via Worfield)

The timetabling is a bit strange as for example, a bus travels to Bridgnorth as a 113 but returns to Telford as a 114 (vice versa on other days of the week). There is a PVR of 1 for these routes so if you live in Ackleton for example, you can get to Bridgnorth, but have to wait until early evening for a bus back!

Status
Not open for further replies.