• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: cathedrals, abbeys and castles which can be seen from trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...Berwick-upon-Tweed castle, or what's left of it? The railway and station site is located in the middle of part of the one-time castle!

Also Berwick-upon-Tweed. The ECML goes straight through the middle of the castle - or what's left of it. There was rather more of it before it's Great Hall was demolished to clear the site for the station.

Thanks for confirming! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
Shrewsbury Abbey - Marches line passes close by and visible from south end of Shrewsbury station. Also had its own station Shrewsbury Abbey on the Shropshire and Montgomery Railway just across the road the station building of which has been conserved.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can Pevensey Castle be seen from the section of track between the two East Coastway stations in the local area (Pevensey & Westham / Pevensey Bay)?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Can Pevensey Castle be seen from the section of track between the two East Coastway stations in the local area (Pevensey & Westham / Pevensey Bay)?
Possibly only in winter, although it's difficult to tell from photographs available online of the castle and I haven't ridden the line that far for a long time. In a similar area, I think the train approach to Lewes from Keymer Jn is too low down to get a view of Lewes Castle (although I'm sure I have seen it from the train as the line swings round past Hamsey), but happily Lewes Priory is visible from the Lewes-Brighton line, the track having been laid (unhappily) straight through the middle of it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Possibly only in winter, although it's difficult to tell from photographs available online of the castle and I haven't ridden the line that far for a long time.

Vaguely remember hearing the East Coastway trains rattling along in the near distance the last time I was at Pevensey Castle, but that being possible is not quite the same as the criteria that the OP set.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Vaguely remember hearing the East Coastway trains rattling along in the near distance the last time I was at Pevensey Castle, but that being possible is not quite the same as the criteria that the OP set.
Hearing the train may well be possible, the line isn't far away. However it is behind a line of trees and a hedge, hence the comment about Winter as you would need the leaves to be dropped.

Separately (and cheekily) you can see Mount Caburn Hill Fort around Southerham Junction, although I do conceded it's not technically a castle, there being no buildings there (remaining).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Look out across the racecourse from the left side window when on a Chester - North Wales train and you can see Chester Castle.
And of course the cathedral is visible on the approach from North Wales (from soon after Queensferry).
Flint castle is close to the station (not much left of it).
Caergwrle castle (also not much left) is on the Bidston-Wrexham line - the station used to be called Caergwrle Castle and Wells.
Gwrych castle near Abergele (I'm a Celebrity) is visible from the coast line if you know where to look, although it is set against a hill.
There's a glimpse of Beaumaris castle from the line near Llanfairfechan.
Stokesay Castle is next to the railway near Craven Arms.
Another difficult one to see is Powys castle near Welshpool, also set against a hill when viewed from the railway.
You won't see Chirk castle from Chirk, as it's lost in hills and dense woodland.
Shrewsbury station is built right under the walls of Shrewsbury castle, also the case in Lancaster and Carlisle.
Nottingham castle is prominent in the railway view from the west.
I've never visited Northampton except on WCML diversions, but the station used to be called Northampton Castle which is a hint.

Lichfield cathedral is a landmark on the WCML with its double spire.
You can glimpse Manchester cathedral from the Salford-Victoria line, but most of the view is now blocked by towers.
Lincoln cathedral can be seen from many miles away on the lines radiating from the city.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Arundel Castle is visible from Arundel Junction.... it's probably visible from the station too....but am unsure, as its been a while since I've been there.
Can be seen from just outside the station. I believe from the station itself it's blocked by buildings/vegetation.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Slightly off topic, but the gold dome of the Havelock Gurdwara can be seen from trains passing Southall.

Veteran Member
Wakefield Cathedral is visible from the viaduct approaching Westgate, not sure about Kirkgate - whereas Bradford can't be seen from either line1 AFAIK.
Leeds Minster (aka Parish Church) is right by the railway, but the RC Cathedral is well hidden.
Similarly, Bath Abbey yes, Bristol Cathedral no....

I would have thought Stokesay castle is visible from the train, you can see the train from the castle grounds anyway.
It is.

High Dyke

Established Member
Doncaster minster, just north of the station.

Can you see the parish church in Minster, Kent? I haven't been there for a while.

Whilst in Thanet, there's the remains of St Mary's Church, Reculver, viewable as you travel between Margate and Herne Bay.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Lincoln cathedral can be seen from many miles away on the lines radiating from the city.
Lincoln Castle can also be seen from the western approaches to the city. As others have remarked, the cathedral can be seen from the East Coast Main Line, between Newark and Retford (and possibly from some points south of Newark as well)

John Luxton

Established Member
The railway is now disused but the Wye Valley line from Chepstow to Monmouth offers great views of Tintern Abbey.

It reopened as the Wye Valley Greenway for walkers and cyclists in 2021 including the fantastic walk through Tidenham Tunnel.

I did the Tintern to Tidenham south portal section and back on foot in July. I had to get back hotel for dinner thus couldn't quite make it into Chepstow but a great walk and views.

The GWR appeared to make a lot of promoting Tintern Abbey.

D6975

Established Member
Similarly, Bath Abbey yes, Bristol Cathedral no....
Bristol Cathedral is visible - I live there and it is visible leaving Bristol westbound if you know where to look - and come to think of it, the 'spire' of Clifton Cathedral might just be visible too.

Anyone mentioned Dover yet?

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
The Church of England Cathedrals that definitely can't be seen from trains are Gibraltar, Wells, Peel and Ripon. Southwell may be able to be seen from trains but I am not sure.

D6130

Established Member
Restormel Castle, Cornwall is close to the railway.
Between Exeter and Penzance, Totnes, Trematon and Restormel Castles - and Exeter Cathedral - are all visible from the railway....as well as Powderham Castle already mentioned.

Approaching Beverley from the Hull direction, the town's impressive Gothic minster is clearly visible close to the railway.

The spire of Coventry's war-damaged cathedral is visible from the lines to the West and North-West of the station.

Burton Agnes Hall (6998!) is visible from the line between Driffield and Bridlington.

The Victorian neo-Gothic Merevale Hall is visible on its hilltop setting from the WCML just to the North of Atherstone.

dastocks

Arundel Castle is visible from Arundel Junction.... it's probably visible from the station too....but am unsure, as its been a while since I've been there.
The castle might not be visible from the station itself but definitely from either side of it on a train. Arundel Cathedral (it's the RC diocese) is also very visible from the same locations, so two for the price of one.

TheHovisKid

There is no cathedral in Preston, the former parish church of St John in the town centre is now known as Preston Minster. The large Catholic church to the north of the station is St Walburgs and is the third highest spire in England after the cathedrals at Salisbury and Norwich and was designed by Joseph Hansom who also designed the taxi cab of that name.
In Lancaster there is a Catholic cathedral but I don't think it's visible from the railway.
Lancaster is visible from the train (certainly was today) and the train from it (again, certainly was today).

There most definitely is a cathedral in Preston, although not attached to a Anglican or Roman diocese, using the former St Ignatius church, which remains the property of the RC diocese. Neither the Minster nor St Walburges could fit in with "if you know where to look".... You'd struggle to miss the latter, certainly.

Other than that, spot on

D6130

Established Member
Returning to Scotland, Lincluden Abbey, Closeburn Castle and Drumlanrig Castle are all visible from the G&SW line.

The ruins of Ardrossan Castle are very close to the line between Ardrossan South Beach and Town stations.

The ruins of Dundonald Castle are visible from both the Kilwinning-Ayr and Kilmarnock-Troon lines.

The whitewash-rendered Blair Castle is visible from the HML a short distance North of Blair Atholl.

The ruins of the 18th Century Ruthven Barracks are visible from the HML either side of Kingussie station.

The ruins of Bothwell Castle are visible in Winter from the bridge carrying the WCML across the Clyde between Uddingston and Newton.

Glasgow Cathedral is visible from the WCML between Rutherglen and Larkfield Junction.

Carbisdale Castle - now a youth hostel - is visible from the bridge carrying the FNL across the River Oykel between Culrain and Invershin.

Dunrobin Castle is visible from the FNL between Golspie and Brora....but not from Dunrobin Halt itself, due to the density of the surrounding trees.

The ruins of Helmsdale Castle are briefly visible from the FNL if you know where to look.

Dunstaffnage Castle is visible from the Crianlarich-Oban line to the West of Connel Ferry station.

Niddry Castle is visible from the Edinburgh-Glasgow main line between the Almond Valley viaduct and Winchburgh Tunnel.

Plean Castle is visible from the railway between Larbert and Stirling.

Kinfauns Castle (now a hotel) is visible from the railway between Perth and Dundee.

Broughty Ferry Castle is visible from the Dundee-Aberdeen line North of the station.

The ruins of Arbroath Abbey are briefly visible from the Dundee-Aberdeen line North of the station.

The ruins of Red Castle are clearly visible from the Dundee-Aberdeen line at Lunan Bay, between Arbroath and Montrose.

Dairsie Castle is alongside the Edinburgh-Dundee line between Cupar and Leuchars.

The ruins of Aberdour Castle are alongside the South side of the line at the East end of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.