• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Current services where the train reverses ends, mid-journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trundlewagon

Some WMR services from Brum reverse at Worcester Shrub Hill and carry on to Foregate Street (or Malvern/Hereford) and vice versa.

Parallel

Established Member
Great Malvern to Westbury/Weymouth/Brighton reverse at Gloucester and Bristol Temple Meads.

The direct Glasgow - Stranraer trains reverse at Kilmarnock.

Liskeard to Looe

Hey 3

On the MML, services like Derby-London(via Corby) reverse at Leicester I think(correct me if I am wrong).

On the MML, services like Derby-London(via Corby) reverse at Leicester I think(correct me if I am wrong). Plus the diverted MML service when the route via Market Harbrough is closed.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I believe there's a very early morning London Paddington to South Wales service that reverses at Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway.

marsker

The North East - Reading/Southampton service reverses at Birmingham New Street, in the current "Covid" timetable the remaining token Newcastle -Banbury service does so in each direction.
Additionally, certain XC sevices, at least in normal times, reverse in Newcastle, largely those where the formation is reduced for the service north to Edinburgh. They tend to be scheduled to arrive via the High Level Bridge.

DorkingMain

Sunday services from Waterloo - Kingston via Hounslow used to reverse in Plat 3/4 at Twickenham. Not sure if that's still done.

The Waterloo - Corfe Castle services used to reverse at Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Weymouth and Wareham, which must be a record for the number of reverses in one journey

Sunday only: Guildford to ascot reverses at Aldershot
Used to do this every day until December 2019, when it was split on weekdays into Guildford - Farnham and Aldershot - Ascot

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The small number of SWR services towards Frome/Castle Cary/Yeovil Pen Mill reverses at Westbury.

Also Salisbury - Yeovil Pen Mill via Gillingham, reverses at Yeovil Junction

Andy Pacer

Established Member
On the MML, services like Derby-London(via Corby) reverse at Leicester I think(correct me if I am wrong).
There aren't any routine reversals at Leicester. Usually only when the mainline route via Market Harborough is closed and services divert via Manton.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Newcastle-Whitby reverses at Middlesborough and Battersby Junction
Battersby Junction yes, but surely at Middlesbrough, this through train just proceeds forward (from Platform 1) to Thornaby, then Stockton, Billingham and onwards to Newcastle via Hartlepool and Sunderland.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Battersby Junction yes, but surely at Middlesbrough, this through train just proceeds forward (from Platform 1) to Thornaby, then Stockton, Billingham and onwards to Newcastle via Hartlepool and Sunderland.
Platform 2 at Middlesbrough for through workings in the other direction from Newcastle to Whitby.

No reversing normally required at Middlesbrough, surely?! o_O

Andy Pacer

Established Member
There's a once a week reversal at Newark flat crossing on a Lincoln to Nottingham Sunday afternoon service (calls at both Newark stations).

Anvil1984

Established Member
Platform 2 at Middlesbrough for through workings in the other direction from Newcastle to Whitby.

No reversing normally required at Middlesbrough, surely?! o_O

Definitely no reversal at Middlesbrough for Newcastle - Whitby

xotGD

Established Member
TPE:

There was a service to Middlesbrough thar reversed at Darlington

Reversals at Manchester Piccadilly to and from the airport

Reverse at Salford Crescent to get from Oxford Road to Victoria not using the curve

Northern:

Leeds to Morecambe reverse at Lancaster

Through trains via Newcastle depending on which bridges they use

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The minimal number of Paddington - Carmarthen services necessitates a reversal at Swansea.

Also services to Marlow - Maidenhead reverse at Bourne End.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
TPE:

Reversals at Manchester Piccadilly to and from the airport

Reverse at Salford Crescent to get from Oxford Road to Victoria not using the curve
Now that the Ordsall Chord / Castlefield Curve is operational, do any through services, TPE or otherwise, call into Manchester Piccadilly from the Stockport or east directions, before continuing back out to the Airport?

Similarly, does anything now reverse at Salford Crescent?

(If either or both workings have ceased, but only in the past few years, this would still be within scope).

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Now that the Ordsall Chord / Castlefield Curve is operational, do any through services, TPE or otherwise, call into Manchester Piccadilly from the Stockport or east directions, before continuing back out to the Airport?

Similarly, does anything now reverse at Salford Crescent?

(If either or both workings have ceased, but only in the past few years, this would still be within scope).
There are still some reversals at Salford Crescent rather than using the Ordshall Chord, presumably again for route knowledge retention.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The South TPE (Sheffield/Cleethorpes) services reversed at Piccadilly to continue to the Airport pre-Covid. Currently they terminate at Piccadilly, apart from one early morning extension to the Airport.

YorksLad12

Established Member
LNER services to/from Braford, Skipton and Harrogate all reverse at Leeds.

Anything going anywhere via Bradford Interchange (it's a terminus, so no option!).
Yep - all of the peak LNER extensions reverse at Leeds. Assuming it starts as planned in 2022 the two-hourly daytime Harrogate service won't reverse as it will enter and exit Leeds from the east. The Huddersfield extension will start then as well, so another reversal.

Zooty

Ones i can think of:

Leeds to Morecambe reverses at Lancaster,

Sunday Leeds to Heysham reverses at Lancaster and Morecambe,
And SuX, the Heysham-Lancaster reverses at Morecambe and Carnforth. (Current Covid timetable, and in that direction only.)

Busyboy89

There's a once a week reversal at Newark flat crossing on a Lincoln to Nottingham Sunday afternoon service (calls at both Newark stations).
First one in a morning from Lincoln to notts calls at both Newark stations, and last one At night notts to Lincoln calls at both. That’s every day Monday-Saturday, Sunday’s think its The same (first and last) but cant remember lol

d9009alycidon

Although no trains are scheduled to do so in the current timetable, It is not unknown for Inverness Bound Trains to use the Dufftown branch platform at Keith Station if there is an out of path Aberdeen train in the main platform, The Inverness bound train would then reverse out and run through the station. Have been on a train that did this.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And SuX, the Heysham-Lancaster reverses at Morecambe and Carnforth. (Current Covid timetable, and in that direction only.)
Interesting! So, depart Heysham Port -> Morecambe (Platform 2 - Change ends) -> Bare Lane (Platform 2) -> Carnforth (Platform 2 - Change ends) -> arrive Lancaster (Platform 4?)

As the train to/from Heysham Port originates from Lancaster, could you legitimately do the round trip via Carnforth on a £4.50 CDR ?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
First one in a morning from Lincoln to notts calls at both Newark stations, and last one At night notts to Lincoln calls at both. That’s every day Monday-Saturday, Sunday’s think its The same (first and last) but cant remember lol
Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was just the mid afternoon Sunday one, but still valid nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.