• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Elizabeth line stations with tapless interchanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc222

Hi,

I'm working on a station database and trying to figure out how certain stations are connected.

I've read that at Farringdon you can change from Thameslink to the Elizabeth line without going through any barriers.

Which other Elizabeth line stations can you change to another type of line without going through barriers? ...for each of these types:
1) Any underground line (excluding DLR)
2) DLR
3) National Rail

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l may be missing something with your question but at all Crossrail platforms at LU interchange stations you can interchange between Elizabeth line and LU services without passing through a gateline.

The exceptions being where you have to move between separate stations. At Paddington to Paddington Suburban (Circle & Hammersmith line) station and again at Canary Wharf.

There are also locations where the shortest and signed interchange is via an out of station interchange, for example Circle and District lines at Paddington signage sends you outside via the mainline concourse and back in, but you can access via the Bakerloo line link; at Tottenham Court Rd where the Central line is best accessed via the ticket hall but you can get to off the Northern line, and at Farringdon where the subsurface lines are best accessed by crossing the street but can be reached by the TLRailUK platforms.

PeterC

Established Member
Contactless interchanges are the norm between Shenfield and Reading. The main exceptions being to the high level stations at Liverpool Street and Paddington.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Bond Street & Tottenham Court Road & Ealing Broadway (has a pink reader) all don't pass through a gateline for London Underground

In addition to the above you can change for National Rail services at Liverpool Street (Moorgate for Great Northern), Farringdon (for Thameslink) & Whitechapel (for Overground). Stratford for a load of different connections. Heathrow Terminals for Heathrow Express (within the terminals)

Abbey Wood is an interesting one because there's no interchange readers but you can theoretically go through on Thameslink / Southeastern so long as you've got a valid ticket.

Don't think there's any DLR <> Elizabeth line that doesn't require going through a gateline (with the exception of Stratford). Custom House is a bit of a messy fudge.

dvboy

Established Member
Custom House is a bit of a messy fudge.
I don't think it's possible to do it without tapping at all.

You can transfer from DLR to the Elizabeth Line without tapping out from the DLR; cross from the DLR concourse to the Elizabeth Line concourse and tap in through the gates.

It's possible to enter the DLR station, tap in there, and then cross to the Elizabeth line side where you have to tap in again to go through the gates.

I assume Oyster is smart enough to work out anyone who has done the above.

To transfer from Elizabeth Line to DLR I think you have to exit the station fully from the Elizabeth Line concourse and then re-enter on the DLR concourse.

TFN

Abbey Wood is an interesting one because there's no interchange readers but you can theoretically go through on Thameslink / Southeastern so long as you've got a valid ticket.
Abbey Wood are having them installed on the EL platforms, the last time I visited a few weeks ago, one reader was live.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Abbey Wood are having them installed on the EL platforms, the last time I visited a few weeks ago, one reader was live.

That’s interesting as I believe TfL had always considered it a major fare evasion issue considering ticketless travel on Southeastern / Thameslink towards Dartford is notorious.

Taunton

Established Member
Custom House is a bit of a messy fudge.
That's one way to put it ...

Actually the one-way gateline there is sometimes unstaffed in evenings, with the gates open, and thus forms a more convenient route from Elizabeth to the DLR.

It's a lonely and windswept position there for the unlucky gateline attendant, so when station staff fall below full numbers that's the favourite one to let go of first. I see that recently a wall heater (though no seat) has now been installed at the staff position there, the heat of course being whipped away by the gale that normally blows through. What was that about sustainability ...?

plugwash

Established Member
Which other Elizabeth line stations can you change to another type of line without going through barriers? ...for each of these types:
2) DLR
3) National Rail
As far as I can tell the interchange situation at Elizibeth line stations is as follows.

Reading to West Ealing inclusive: presumablly open interchange with rail services since it's using rail infrastructure.
Ealing broadway: everything (train, tube and lizzie) seems to be behind the same gateline according to the NR maps.
Heathrow: heathrow express and lizzle use the same platforms and hence have open interchange. Underground is behind a seperate gateline (and there is no OSI!).
Paddington: There is an interchange tunnel inside the gatelines from the elizibeth line to the bakerloo. For changing from the elizibeth line to the circle/district platforms I belive you will meet gatelines if you take the signposted route but you can avoid them by going via the bakerloo. Circle/hammersmith platforms have their own gatelines. Mainline platforms have their own gating arragements with some platforms being ungated.
Bond Street to Farringdon inclusive: I'm pretty sure these have open interchange with tube services and with rail services at Farringdon. It's also possible to reach barbican LU from Farringdon EL without passing through barriers, but only by using a somewhat-hidden lift.
Liverpool street: I think that there are open interchanges with Moorgate LU and NR and with Liverpool street LU but i'm not 100% sure. Liverpool street mainline has it's own seperate barriers.
Whitechapel: everything appears to be behind the same gateline.
Stratford: everything is behind the same gateline.
Beyond Stratford: presumablly open interchange with rail services since it's using rail infrastructure.
Canary Warf: despite sharing a name with a tube and DLR station, they are seperate stations some distance apart. The tube and EL stations have their own gateline while the DLR is open with validators.
Custom House: the Elizibeth line part is barriered while the DLR part is not, leading to a messy interchange situtation.
Abbey wood: everything is behind the same barriers.

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
As far as I can tell the interchange situation at Elizibeth line stations is as follows.

Reading to West Ealing inclusive: presumablly open interchange with rail services since it's using rail infrastructure.
Ealing broadway: everything (train, tube and lizzie) seems to be behind the same gateline according to the NR maps.
Heathrow: heathrow express and lizzle use the same platforms and hence have open interchange. Underground is behind a seperate gateline (and there is no OSI!).
Paddington: There is an interchange tunnel inside the gatelines from the elizibeth line to the bakerloo. For changing from the elizibeth line to the circle/district platforms I belive you will meet gatelines if you take the signposted route but you can avoid them by going via the bakerloo. Circle/hammersmith platforms have their own gatelines. Mainline platforms have their own gating arragements with some platforms being ungated.
Bond Street to Farringdon inclusive: I'm pretty sure these have open interchange with tube services and with rail services at Farringdon. It's also possible to reach barbican LU from Farringdon EL without passing through barriers, but only by using a somewhat-hidden lift.
Liverpool street: I think that there are open interchanges with Moorgate LU and NR and with Liverpool street LU but i'm not 100% sure. Liverpool street mainline has it's own seperate barriers.
Whitechapel: everything appears to be behind the same gateline.
Stratford: everything is behind the same gateline.
Beyond Stratford: presumablly open interchange with rail services since it's using rail infrastructure.
Canary Warf: despite sharing a name with a tube and DLR station, they are seperate stations some distance apart. The tube and EL stations have their own gateline while the DLR is open with validators.
Custom House: the Elizibeth line part is barriered while the DLR part is not, leading to a messy interchange situtation.
Abbey wood: everything is behind the same barriers.
Liverpool Street EL station, Liverpool Street LU station (Central Line and all sub-surface lines), Moorgate LU / NR station are all in the same gated area.

paulc222

Thank you every one for your replies - this is really helpful. I can see it's quite nuanced in places - the Barbican LU to Farringdon EL link is particularly weird.

plugwash

Established Member
Farringdon EL is essentially located with one end close to the existing farringdon station and the other end close to barbican.

My understanding is that there was supposed to be a proper link between farringdon EL and Barbican, but this was value engineered out. The lift however had been promised as a disabled access improvement for Barbican so it remained in the plans.

Geogregor

That’s interesting as I believe TfL had always considered it a major fare evasion issue considering ticketless travel on Southeastern / Thameslink towards Dartford is notorious.

Most of Southeastern and Thameslink trains are notorious for fare evasion. Enforcement is minimal and many stations don't have gates, or gates are often open due to staff shortages. They must be bleeding revenue all over south London.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They're all covered up again now. Staff suggest there was a fault.
TfL won't be suffering the fare evasion though. I do wonder whether the 'fault' might be continued wrangling between SE/TL and TfL/MTR as to who is going to pick up the bill for staff checking tickets of people touching in.

Status
Not open for further replies.