• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : "Endangered Species" of buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Based on an idea from this thread, which vehicle types are still clinging on in service with only a couple of operators, or perhaps with just a handful of vehicles left in service?
For this thread, school services / rail replacement vehicles can count.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Safeguard Coaches of Guildford, in Surrey, operate three Optare Excels - X307/8 CBT and YJ03 UMM - on their all-day town routes. I'm sure there are probably others out there, but can't be many still in regular daily frontline service?

Last edited:

hst43102

GH Watts of Leicester still operate well turned out (former West Midlands Travel) MCW metrobus' ROX660Y B840AOP which are still used on school services.

Wow, those must be some of the oldest vehicles still in service. I had absolutely no idea any Metrobuses were still going!

richw

Veteran Member
Chepstow classic buses were still recently using a VR on school services. In reality they will send anything with a class 6 from their fleet

SSmith2009

Wow, those must be some of the oldest vehicles still in service. I had absolutely no idea any Metrobuses were still going!
these two metrobuses are very nearly 40 years old!

GH Watts also have a smart looking Optare Vecta registered NXI 608 which was new as M702 RVS to Seamarks of Luton.

fgwrich

Established Member

GH Watts also have a smart looking Optare Vecta registered NXI 608 which was new as M702 RVS to Seamarks of Luton.

Close to rivalling that record has to be this former London & Country East Lancs / Volvo Citybus - looking absolutely nothing like it did 33 Years ago. Now with Aldermaston Coach Lines, it's previously been with Morton's Travel and Bradshaws.

LUYMun

Any ALX200 buses still running around? They used to be everywhere ten years ago, now they've either been killed by fire or rust.

DJames

Any ALX200 buses still running around? They used to be everywhere ten years ago, now they've either been killed by fire or rust.

Travel Express/Let's Go in Wolverhampton operated some until very recently, before they were replaced by newer Enviro200s. Red Rose also had one in use until last year. I'm not sure if there's any others left in service, but there are at least a decent amount of ALX300s around, at least in the North East with Stagecoach.

One vehicle that is definitely endangered would be HC04 BBB, one of two Plaxton Concept 2000 bodied B6BLEs ever made.

Another would've been the original TransBus Enviro200s, had Buses Excetera stayed in business.

Grahamk748

The Vecta has gone now and is I think preserved somewhere

Scania/East Lancs Cityzens have got to be one of the rare types left in service now too? Not that they were that popular in the first place.
There was one at CL Travel near Royston, one at Orbit Coaches, Leicester and one at Kettlewells,Retford and Autocar,Tunbridge Wells. I think they are all still current. There may also be one at Astons,Worcester?
Kettlewells also have A50WVL A Scania K112/Deltaplan which I think also still sees use

Last edited:

RELL6L

The Volvo B7L single decker was never a popular vehicle as far as I can tell. First had a lot but I think they have all gone now.
Reliance Motor Services in Yorkshire still have two, both were out yesterday but are not today, they cannot have long left.
They also have two B10BLEs, although one has not been out since 4 April. The other one - Y163HRN - is out today.
What they have is extremely well turned out.

RustySpoons

The Volvo B7L single decker was never a popular vehicle as far as I can tell. First had a lot but I think they have all gone now.
Reliance Motor Services in Yorkshire still have two, both were out yesterday but are not today, they cannot have long left.
They also have two B10BLEs, although one has not been out since 4 April. The other one - Y163HRN - is out today.
What they have is extremely well turned out.

There's a handful of other B10BLEs from the HRN batch still operating Burnley local services, albeit with a mildly unpleasant facelift. As of yet there's no plans to withdraw or replace them.

Peoplesbus have a very smart looking BMC Condor that still gets used. Can't be many of those about.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Peoplesbus have a very smart looking BMC Condor that still gets used. Can't be many of those about.
A few ex-West Yorkshire BMC Condors were bought in late 2018/early 2019 for school work by a few Lanarkshire independents (JMB Travel and McNairns of Coatbridge each have a few such examples; linked Flickr images copyright of busmanscotland & David Devoy respectively).

Speaking of BMC, there can't be many Hawk 900s (never a common type to begin with) left running. The two examples McGill's - likely the type's highest-profile operator - purchased from Silverdale Coaches (t/a Chapmans of Airdrie) in April 2016 as part of the former's sweep of the Monklands have long since been withdrawn and disposed of. Believe Bains of Oldmeldrum have at least two examples still on the go, not sure of any other operators (linked image copyright of Flickr's Chris Cuthill).

liamf656

Staying on the topic of BMC, I don’t think the Falcon is around much nowadays. Possibly in single figures now

Andyh82

Established Member
And First West Yorkshire have just withdrawn their original BMC 1100FEs as well, so there can’t be many of those left either

Strathclyder

Established Member
Staying on the topic of BMC, I don’t think the Falcon is around much nowadays. Possibly in single figures now
Bains of Oldmeldrum, a one-time BMC dealer for Scotland and overall rather enthusiastic operator of BMC buses - have quite a few Falcons in their fleet, ex-Glyn Williams/Stagecoach CN04 XCK and native SV06 ESN among them (linked Flickr images copyright of Chris Cuthill).

DJ_K666

The Vecta has gone now and is I think preserved somewhere

Scania/East Lancs Cityzens have got to be one of the rare types left in service now too? Not that they were that popular in the first place.
There was one at CL Travel near Royston, one at Orbit Coaches, Leicester and one at Kettlewells,Retford and Autocar,Tunbridge Wells. I think they are all still current. There may also be one at Astons,Worcester?
Kettlewells also have A50WVL A Scania K112/Deltaplan which I think also still sees use
The Orbit one at Leicester is now a mobile home. Replaced by an Omnidekka iirc. It was ex Brighton and Hove so there is a small chance I may have driven it in service.

Strathclyder

Established Member
First were the main takers of the B7L, the vast majority with Wright Eclipse bodywork. Glasgow had, in addition to it's large compliment of B7L saloons, the 10 tri-axle low-height East Lancs Nordic-bodied B7Ls deckers on lease for roughly a decade (2002-2011). The latter's post-Glasgow careers have been well-documented (Brightbus, TM Travel etc). Fingers crossed one makes it back north one day as I remember them vividly during their Glasgow careers. But I digress, all of First's B7Ls have indeed been withdrawn as far as I know, with the only survivors either in preservation or working away with other operators, a la the remaining Nordics.

Mikw

I miss Metrobuses - almost as much as i miss the mighty Scania Metropolitan. We had them in Leicester for years, they were great.

hst43102

Bains of Oldmeldrum, a one-time BMC dealer for Scotland and overall rather enthusiastic operator of BMC buses - have quite a few Falcons in their fleet, ex-Glyn Williams/Stagecoach CN04 XCK and native SV06 ESN among them (linked Flickr images copyright of Chris Cuthill).

Red Rose of Aylesbury - a regular name on this thread - also has one, BX56XAH. I last photographed it last year, and I believe it's still in service?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Red Rose of Aylesbury - a regular name on this thread - also has one, BX56XAH. I last photographed it last year, and I believe it's still in service?
That one (ex-McKindless of Wishaw, being the first of three they took; two in November 2006 and one in September 2007) is off the road with a SORN by all accounts.

fgwrich

Established Member
A few ex-West Yorkshire BMC Condors were bought in late 2018/early 2019 for school work by a few Lanarkshire independents (JMB Travel and McNairns of Coatbridge each have a few such examples; linked Flickr images copyright of busmanscotland & David Devoy respectively).

Speaking of BMC, there can't be many Hawk 900s (never a common type to begin with) left running. The two examples McGill's - likely the type's highest-profile operator - purchased from Silverdale Coaches (t/a Chapmans of Airdrie) in April 2016 as part of the former's sweep of the Monklands have long since been withdrawn and disposed of. Believe Bains of Oldmeldrum have at least two examples still on the go, not sure of any other operators (linked image copyright of Flickr's Chris Cuthill).

Eastleigh based Xelabus also has one of the ex First examples too - the rather smartly turned out G3XEL.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Eastleigh based Xelabus also has one of the ex First examples too - the rather smartly turned out G3XEL.

Quite a number of these have found new lives as school buses all over the place, it seems.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Bains just have two BMC Hawks, the other being SV06GUX
SV06GUX is a bit of a raft but SV57AKK is decent, especially with its comical "takeaway" stop bell / door buzzer!

The rarest active bus in their fleet is probably SV12BVC which is a King Long XMQ6900J. If i'm not mistaken only two were ever registered in the UK, the other being BX14KSF.

Those are the only two Falcons they have left in use now. Although BX54VNV, BU05EHB & SV06ESG were still sat in their yard when i last went past. They have in the past year purchased three BMC Condors YK55AVD, YJ56LKAM, BX60CKK so i don't think the enthusiasm they have for BMCs has disappeared yet!
Quite a number of these have found new lives as school buses all over the place, it seems.
The vast majority of Condors were built with 3x2 seating specifically for school services iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.