• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : "Endangered Species" of buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
@Jordan Adam I see, cheers for the additional info there. Bains isn't a operator I'm that familiar with personally, but their enthusiasm for BMCs and other smaller/oddball manufacturers & models, though somewhat reduced from previous years, predeces them to say the least.

The vast majority of Condors were built with 3x2 seating specifically for school services iirc.
All except the Peoplesbus example cited by @73001 in post #18 were built as such, that particular example (S80 BUS/BV57 MPU) was new as a BMC demonstrator, being built with standard 2x2 seating (linked image copyright of Flickr's transportofdelight), which I think it still retains (pretty difficult to find a pic that shows off the seating arrangements lol)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
How many Plaxton Presidents are left in service on registered services? I am not counting school buses in with that.

Strathclyder

Established Member
How many Plaxton Presidents are left in service on registered services? I am not counting school buses in with that.
Do open-toppers count? For the big groups, First still have quite a few dotted around the country employed on such work (Edinburgh, Exeter & Kernow all spring to mind, though I understand the Exeter example is off the road awaiting parts at present). For regular stagecarriage work, First Eastern Counties still have a handful of closed-top survivors I believe, and Glasgow is not long after withdrawing it's last 5 Volvo Presidents which were still in regular service up until the beginning of this month.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
Do open-toppers count? For the big groups, First still have quite a few dotted around the country employed on such work (Edinburgh, Exeter & Kernow all spring to mind). For regular stagecarriage work, First Eastern Counties still have a handful of closed-top survivors I believe, and Glasgow is not long after withdrawing it's last 5 Volvo Presidents which were still in regular service up until the beginning of this month.
Yes I suppose they would if it is a service registered with the traffic commissioner. Thanks.

fgwrich

Established Member
As we've just talked about them on another thread, the humble Plaxton Pointer SPD. I think somewhat unfortunately the long length examples suffered from corrosion (eg Stagecoach X registered and former Lothian examples). Are there many left?

Strathclyder

Established Member
As we've just talked about them on another thread, the humble Plaxton Pointer SPD. I think somewhat unfortunately the long length examples suffered from corrosion (eg Stagecoach X registered and former Lothian examples). Are there many left?
Up until fairly recently, the aforementioned JMB Travel still had about a few ex-Lothian examples in service, but I think these gave way to the brand-new MCV Evora-bodied Volvo B8s the company recently took delivery of. They may be a few still going with other independents across the country, but not much else other than that.

RustySpoons

Transdev Keighley have a few that mostly do schools work but do occasionally make their way into public service.

Burnley also have one that is often out on public services, but this is one they heavily rebuilt a number of years ago - fleet no. 2706.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Transdev Keighley have a few that mostly do schools work but do occasionally make their way into public service.
On that note, is it Transdev that have that silver ex-First President Trident? Was a spare/backup vehicle if I recall correctly.

LUYMun

A number of Pointers still operate with Stagecoach South, predominantly my local Aldershot garage, filled with either 06 or 56 reg examples. But I do think they'll be getting replaced in the near future.

RustySpoons

On that note, is it Transdev that have that silver ex-First President Trident? Was a spare/backup vehicle if I recall correctly.
It is, there's a few of them at Burnley. Not sure how many though without checking the fleetlist, but there's more than one that's regularly out.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It is, there's a few of them at Burnley. Not sure how many though without checking the fleetlist, but there's more than one that's regularly out.
Ah, didn't realize they had more than one example. Good to hear they're still earning a coin. :)

Grahamk748

Stagecoach East Midlands still have about 20 left at Worksop,Mansfield,Lincoln and Gainsborough. 3 of them even painted in the new colours.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
@Jordan Adam I see, cheers for the additional info there. Bains isn't a operator I'm that familiar with personally, but their enthusiasm for BMCs and other smaller/oddball manufacturers & models, though somewhat reduced from previous years, predeces them to say the least.
I'd still say their desire for oddball vehicles is just as strong! The entire service fleet is made up for BMCs, plus a pair of King Long's (SV12BVC & BX15MKZ) and a Mercedes 614D (SV56EOR)
All except the Peoplesbus example cited by @73001 in post #18 were built as such, that particular example (S80 BUS/BV57 MPU) was new as a BMC demonstrator, being built with standard 2x2 seating (linked image copyright of Flickr's transportofdelight), which I think it still retains (pretty difficult to find a pic that shows off the seating arrangements lol)

The newest of the Condors at Bains BX60CKK which was acquired last year as the replacement to Falcon BX54VNV along with it's sister vehicle BX60CKL were the last Condors built for the UK and are dual door with 2x2 seating.
Having had a quick look on Bus Lists On The Web there was also a some examples around the same time built to single door with 2x2 seating new to CT Plus (FJ59 UYE/F/G/KL & YK10 AVV) & Houstons Coaches (BX10DHF/G).

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'd still say their desire for oddball vehicles is just as strong! The entire service fleet is made up for BMCs, plus a pair of King Long's (SV12BVC & BX15MKZ) and a Mercedes 614D (SV56EOR)
Touché lol Like I say, not all that familar with Bains as a whole.

The newest of the Condors at Bains BX60CKK which was acquired last year as the replacement to Falcon BX54VNV along with it's sister vehicle BX60CKL were the last Condors built for the UK and are dual door with 2x2 seating.
Having had a quick look on Bus Lists On The Web there was also a some examples around the same time built to single door with 2x2 seating new to CT Plus (FJ59 UYE/F/G/KL & YK10 AVV) & Houstons Coaches (BX10DHF/G).
Shows how much I need to get up to speed with BMC's British output, the only ones I was really familar with were the two ex-Silverdale Hawks McGill's inherited (the latter - BX60 CKP/0201 - being the last of the type to enter public service in September 2010; linked image of it with McGill's copyright of Flickr's Gobbiner).

Status
Not open for further replies.