• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Examples of three or more stations in a row that are less than a mile apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-controller

Argyle Line:
Scotstounhill -> Garscadden (34 chains)
Garscadden -> Yoker (78 chains)

Argyle Line:
Argyle Street -> Glasgow Central Low Level (28 chains)
Glasgow Central Low Level -> Anderston (34 chains)
Anderston -> Exhibition Centre (41 chains)

Cathcart Circle Line:
Pollokshields West -> Maxwell Park (40 chains)
Maxwell Park -> Shawlands (53 chains)
Shawlands -> Pollokshaws East (30 chains)
Pollokshaws East -> Langside (42 chains)
Langside -> Cathcart (57 chains)
Cathcart -> Mount Florida (53 chains)
Mount Florida -> Crosshill (43 chains)
Crosshill -> Queens Park (35 chains)
Queens Park -> Pollokshields East (33 chains)

So basically the entire Cathcart Circle excluding to/from Glasgow Central.

Don’t have exact distances but I’d have thought other contenders would be…

Gilshochil-Summerston-Maryhill

Bellgrove-Duke Street-Alexandra Parade

Possibly Dumbarton East-Dumbarton Central- Dalreoch?

Maybe Ardrossan South Beach-Town-Harbour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’d have thought another easy way of measuring this is just to find a service on RealTimeTrains passing through the 3 stations you want. For many, (although not all), routes you’ll see the mileages on the left of the page in detailed view.

For example the triple mentioned a few posts ago, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliffe, Freshford is 2m 19ch.

Peter0124

Established Member
You can also use this although you only get 10 per day unless paid:

Magdalia

Established Member
I’d have thought another easy way of measuring this is just to find a service on RealTimeTrains passing through the 3 stations you want. For many, (although not all), routes you’ll see the mileages on the left of the page in detailed view.
This is what I would do.

Liverpool Street to Enfield Town all distances between stations are less than a mile except Liverpool Street to Bethnal Green (1m10c) and Edmonton Green to Bush Hill Park (1m24c).

Ediswan

Established Member
This is what I would do.

Liverpool Street to Enfield Town all distances between stations are less than a mile except Liverpool Street to Bethnal Green (1m10c) and Edmonton Green to Bush Hill Park (1m24c).
My only ever season ticket, though it was Lower Edmonton at the time.

thenorthern

Established Member
Birmingham Moor Street to Jewellery Quarter I thought was one but that is just over a mile.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Just missing out is Matlock to Matlock Bath (1m 7ch) and Matlock Bath to Cromford (63ch).

daodao

Established Member
I wondered if there are any examples on the national rail network of three or more stations in a row (i.e. both stations A & B and stations B & C) that are less than a mile apart.

Davenport - Woodsmoor - Hazel Grove is 1.57 miles (Google Earth)
This meets the criteria set by the OP, as:
  • Davenport-Woodsmoor is 43 chains
  • Woodsmoor-Hazel Grove is 76 chains

GW43125

Established Member
Richmond, North Sheen, Mortlake.
Barnes, Barnes Bridge, Chiswick.
Kew Bridge, Syon Lane, Brentford.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Portsmouth Harbour, 66ch to Portsmouth and Southsea, 66ch further to Fratton. 3 stations in 1m 52ch using RTT. And almost equally spaced as well.

Mike99

Don’t have exact distances but I’d have thought other contenders would be…

Gilshochil-Summerston-Maryhill

Bellgrove-Duke Street-Alexandra Parade

Possibly Dumbarton East-Dumbarton Central- Dalreoch?

Maybe Ardrossan South Beach-Town-Harbour?
Ardrossan Harbour - Town - South Beach certainly fits the criteria according to my Track Atlas of Mainland Britian. Mileages show, South Beach at 30m 38ch (from Glasgow) Town at 31m 00ch and South Beach at 31m 35ch, so 97chains covering Harbour to South Beach. Interval of 62ch and 35 chains either side of Androssan Town.

owidoe

On the Severn Beach line, Montpelier-Redland-Clifton Down is 1.7 km, or 1 mile and 4 chains.

Taunton

Established Member
I suspect West India, Canary Wharf, and Heron Quay on the DLR are unbeatable. The distance between ramp ends is less than the platforms length. However, as they are separated by rail-only bridges over water, they serve different areas.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At least three of the stations on the Liverpool loop must be within a mile of each other, I'd guess. Moorfields, James St & Lime St & Central.
James St-Moorfields-Lime St spreads over 70 chains, and Lime St-Central-James St is 79 chains.

thenorthern

Established Member
Outside of London there are a lot of nearly situations like from Blackpool South to Squires Gate is only 1.4 miles.

paul1609

Established Member
Worthing, West Worthing, Durrington, Goring by Sea must be a good shout. You can literally see both Goring by Sea and West Worthing Stations from the Durrington platforms.
East Worthing, Worthing, West Worthing, Durrington on Sea and Goring all qualify as do Hove, Aldington, Portslade, Fishers Gate and Southwick.

D6975

Established Member
Winchmore Hill, Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill.
From Gordon Hill to Moorgate is 15 stations in 10m 73c. Only 2 pairs are over a mile apart. (Old Street-Essex Rd and Palmers Green-Winchmore Hill)

plugwash

Established Member
Are there any three consecutive stations where the first and the third are less than a mile apart?
Moorfields to Liverpool Central is slightly over a mile on the Wirrel line via Lime Street, but less than a mile as the crow flies (and less than a mile on the northern line)

Liverpool James Street to Liverpool Lime Street is also less than a mile as the Crow flies.

DM352

Thought I had the three Ryde stations that got this but think with the track curve it looks like 1.3 miles

Purple Train

Established Member
Are there any three consecutive stations where the first and the third are less than a mile apart?
Canonbury and Caledonian Road & Barnsbury are 1 mile and 1 chain apart. Highbury & Islington is pretty much exactly halfway between them. Finchley Road & Frognal is just under two miles from Kensal Rise, five stations away.
Post 28

Crispy11

There might be a few examples from Devon that qualify for example Exeter St Davids-Exeter Central-St James's Park?

Or from Plymouth, maybe Devonport-Dockyard-Keyham? (I'm not including the two stations from St Budeaux as they are on different lines)

Purple Train

Established Member
There might be a few examples from Devon that qualify for example Exeter St Davids-Exeter Central-St James's Park?

Or from Plymouth, maybe Devonport-Dockyard-Keyham? (I'm not including the two stations from St Budeaux as they are on different lines)
Devonport-Dockyard-Keyham is 1 mile 2 chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.