• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Grotty stations in nice towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
All of the Thameslink suburban stations are pretty nasty-looking. London Midland seems to have done a good job, compared with First and then GTR, of making some broadly similar stations look much more inviting.

I would argue that the "worst" Thameslink station has to be Mill Hill Broadway - massively blighted by the M1 , but the likes of Hendon and Cricklewood are basic , but generally clean with no graffiti etc. West Hampstead is hugely improved compared to what it was , but could do with some more weatherproof shelters at platform level.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
But coincidentally, last week I was at a talk by a man of the cloth (an American, no less) who somehow mentioned he'd been in Mirfield for some sort of Anglican spiritual training course. He couldn't praise the place enough - you'd think it was Holy Island/Whitby Abbey/Canterbury Cathedral/<insert your favourite spiritual place here> all rolled into one.

It is!:D (Not the town, nor the station)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apologies for the off-topic, but the surprising part of your story is that there are Anglican training events going on in Mirfield - the town is more (in-)famous in religious circles for the imposing Roman Catholic Seminary above the town.

Sorry to keep off topic but the 'imposing seminary' is in fact a monastery and associated theological college of the Church of England, and has been so for well over 100 years. I'm sure that is where the American cleric had been.

Though to get (partly) back on topic it has wonderful views of the railway with its frequent Transpennine expresses. In steam days it must have been splendid. And the Community runs an annual retreat weekend for railway enthusiasts.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I haven't been for a while but Banbury station used to be a bit of a dump, for an otherwise lovely town that I spent a few happy years in.

Alderley Edge isn't great either.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I haven't been for a while but Banbury station used to be a bit of a dump, for an otherwise lovely town that I spent a few happy years in.

Alderley Edge isn't great either.

Banbury has had a lot of work done to it in the past couple of years. It's no St Pancras, but it's a pleasant place these days.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
To be fair, Lichfield Trent Valley *is* in the middle of an industrial estate (and a rather poor station, especially given how well-used it is these days).

City station somehow manages to be situated in comfortably the worst looking party of the city centre, though the station itself is fine. Neither make Lichfield look particularly nice.

I remember there being a dead pigeon resting on top of a platform clock hanging from the canopy supports which were still painted the colour of the old Southern Railway. The pigeon was there for months, if not years.

Perhaps it was doing one last performance of 'Mouldy Old Dough':lol:

BTP69E

Sorry, this is off topic. Trying to make a personal response to Busaholic's posting on Hither Green Rail accident in 1967 (post 24/7/2014). Am unfamiliar with forum procedures. Tomorrow is the 49th anniversary.- I can use email ok.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would argue that the "worst" Thameslink station has to be Mill Hill Broadway - massively blighted by the M1 , but the likes of Hendon and Cricklewood are basic , but generally clean with no graffiti etc. West Hampstead is hugely improved compared to what it was , but could do with some more weatherproof shelters at platform level.

Facility wise I see your point, but my impression is more given by the dated-looking and tatty ex-BR-style signage and often scruffy buildings.

Crossover

Established Member
It is!:D (Not the town, nor the station)

Sorry to keep off topic but the 'imposing seminary' is in fact a monastery and associated theological college of the Church of England, and has been so for well over 100 years. I'm sure that is where the American cleric had been.

Though to get (partly) back on topic it has wonderful views of the railway with its frequent Transpennine expresses. In steam days it must have been splendid. And the Community runs an annual retreat weekend for railway enthusiasts.

I do believe there is an enthusiast community that meet at the pub next to Mirfield station. I can imagine there will be a good view from further up the hill too - on a clear night I can sometimes hear them and you can see them from the main road in winter when the trees are free of leaves

jacksonbang

How about Eastbourne station? Depends on your view of seaside resorts but it's a pretty depressing, uninspiring station with dull concourse . Maybe even Bexhill, although in recent years there has been an attempt to improve it, those platforms and steep incline platform entrances are somewhat miserable.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
How about Eastbourne station? Depends on your view of seaside resorts but it's a pretty depressing, uninspiring station with dull concourse . Maybe even Bexhill, although in recent years there has been an attempt to improve it, those platforms and steep incline platform entrances are somewhat miserable.

What are you talking about ?

Eastbourne's got a lovely concourse, lovely canopies, lovely buildings.

If Eastbourne's bad, we might as well flatten every station and start again.

MedwayValiant

Dover Priory. The town is actually fairly tatty too if we're honest, but its station is a horrendous introduction to Britain for visitors from foreign parts.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Dover Priory. The town is actually fairly tatty too if we're honest, but its station is a horrendous introduction to Britain for visitors from foreign parts.

Though surely if they're new here, Dover Priory station won't be the first thing they see no matter how they arrived! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't particularly like Exmouth station, especially when you look at old pictures of the original station, the current station uses part of one of the original platforms but it's not what you'd call inspiring.

Abpj17

St Albans City. I couldn't afford to live out of a garage in St Albans, yet it's got an absurdly cramped afterthought of a mainline station.

(St Albans Abbey isn't much better, but it's a tiny branch line, not the MML...)
Actually, a lot of the Herts commuter stations, come to think of it. Baldock is a lovely little market town right in the commuter belt, but the station is very much in the "board up what we can, tack on a ticket office" mould.

St Albans and Bedford stations are both fine. They function, they have lifts, they have shops (both could do with better loo facilities tho). A helpful exit into the car park at the back as well.

Relative to Luton they are great :p (And I suspect Luton doesn't make the list as the grotty station is on par with expectations for the town...)

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I always thought that Eastbourne station was a rather nice one, particular after the improvements in recent years.

mrcheek

Established Member
Henley on Thames. A Sad truncated stump of a platform with a short canopy and an identikit tacked on ticket office that replaced a once grand terminus. Thanks so much BR/Town Planners.

totally agree with this one. I expected Henley-on-Thames to be rather posh. But the station is awful, and also in the car park outside, sit the most disgusting public toilets I have ever visited. The town is nice though

dk1

Veteran Member
What are you talking about ?

Eastbourne's got a lovely concourse, lovely canopies, lovely buildings.

If Eastbourne's bad, we might as well flatten every station and start again.

I'm with you there. Was very surprised it got a mention :|

Dorking Deepdene is a bit grotty but Dorking is a very nice town. I have seen worse stations though.

Status
Not open for further replies.