• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Hardest Rail lines to reinstate

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suppose the Meltham Branch?
Certainly not as difficult as some of those already listed, including the nearby Holmfirth branch. The old station site has a modern housing development and a supermarket on it so that's a problem, but most of the trackbed is a cycle path so is undeveloped:- the one gap in the cycleway is down to an unsympathetic landowner but whilst a compulsory purchase wasn't viable for that, it might be for a railway. There's no viaducts to rebuild unlike Holmfirth though. Making a business case is another matter though!

Most of the closed lines on isles of Wight and Man would be tough to reinstate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member

Oh, that would definitely be difficult :D

Certainly not as difficult as some of those already listed, including the nearby Holmfirth branch. The old station site has a modern housing development and a supermarket on it so that's a problem, but most of the trackbed is a cycle path so is undeveloped:- the one gap in the cycleway is down to an unsympathetic landowner but whilst a compulsory purchase wasn't viable for that, it might be for a railway. There's no viaducts to rebuild unlike Holmfirth though. Making a business case is another matter though!

Most of the closed lines on isles of Wight and Man would be tough to reinstate.

Ah, I see, thanks :)

175mph

On Moderation
In Hull, Hull College has their motor vehicle centre on Cannon Street, built on the site of a disused railway station so if the line was to be reinstated, at the very least Hull College would need to relocate their motor vehicle centre.

bigfoote

Nice easy one: Havant to Hayling Island. Needs a bridge.

Not to mention destroying the cycle sheds, rebuilding the level crossing on New Lane, cutting alongside the newbuilds, tearing up the Billy trail and running through protected areas...Perfectly reasonable :D

K.o.R

I think cutting through the raised arts centre car park would be fun.

03_179

Established Member
Whitby, Redcar and Middlesborough Union railway. Lots of damage to the coastal line and Whitby West Cliff now a housing estate, many viaducts need rebuiling and some of the line is a golf course.

Pickering to Malton - discussed many times.

Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace (original line)

Status
Not open for further replies.