• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - IF you could travel on a closed line which would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
IF you could travel on a closed line which would it be? This might well require a journey back in time so i will fire up the tardis.

I think for me it would be the line from Darlington to Tebay via Barnard Castle and Stainmore. Purely personal reasons. I went to school in Barnard Castle and we had a model railway club with the lines around Barnard Castle reconstructed with great accuracy. (A bonus would be to see the area around Darlingotn with the works still open)

Second place would be a Leamside line open to passengers but I traveled that way several times on diverted ECML services. Again purely sentimental as my family are from the area and my grandparents lived right next to line where i spent many happy hours as child.

Over to you.......................

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Good call on Tebay I think it went past Stooperdale Offices in Darlo where I first worked, mine would be GCR from Marylebone to Manchester, as I have done the Waverley line before it closed

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good call on Tebay I think it went past Stooperdale Offices in Darlo where I first worked, mine would be GCR from Marylebone to Manchester, as I have done the Waverley line before it closed

Yes the line will have been out the back of the Stooperdale offices. I heard tell of a special platform in the grounds for the big wigs.

The offices there are in a superb building, like the NER HQ in York.

PeterC

Established Member
I started running through these in my head and ended up with "all of them".
Due to family connections I fancy Newport - Blaenavon High Level, walk down to the low level station for the return trip.
In Wales I would also want the Mid Wales Line from Newtown to Brecon

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Somerset and Dorset. Missed so many routes when they were open. Also many of the former South Wales routes which closed before I moved to the area.

plcd1

Off the top of my head and purely from childhood memories of doing the equivalent car trip many times it would Penrith - Keswick - Workington.

We often holidayed in Keswick as grandparents were there. Saw the model railway at the old Keswick Station many times but never saw any big trains. I suspect we did have a holiday in Keswick before the line closed but I was too young to remember seeing a "big" train.

There may be other closed lines in the NE that I'd like to ride if I spent some time researching them - something like Rothbury or Wooler.

extendedpaul

From Hoo Junction to Grain in Kent. I remember seeing an enthusiasts' charter train on the line one Saturday about 25 years ago but I don't think any have run there for many years .

QueensCurve

Established Member
Off the top of my head and purely from childhood memories of doing the equivalent car trip many times it would Penrith - Keswick - Workington.

Me too.

I travelled on the last tran from Keswick to Penrith (19 March 1972) but never on the route further west that Keswick.

Would love to do.

220px-TARDIS1.jpg

QueensCurve

Established Member
Leamside line open to passengers but I traveled that way several times on diverted ECML services. Again purely sentimental as my family are from the area and my grandparents lived right next to line where i spent many happy hours as child.

Travelled on that during ECML electrification about 1989.

Established Member
If I had to pick one, then it would be the Liverpool Overhead Railway. It was a tough one to choose, as I'd really like to see the North Liverpool Extension Line and the Woodhead Line reopened, but the "Dockers' Umbrella" just edges it for me.

I don't think the NLEL or Woodhead Line will ever be reopened though, unfortunately.

PaulLothian

Dunblane to Crianlarich for me. Have walked or cycled quite a bit of it over the years, and regularly drive along its course lamenting its loss!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The line from Ashbourne to Buxton. I've walked along the route many times and would have loved to have taken the train to Alsop for a day out in the Dales.

Last edited:

rf_ioliver

Specifically two: Pontypridd-Tonteg-Barry and Tonteg-Llantrisant. Could add a third also which was Tonteg Jct via Pontypridd Graig.

t.

Ian

gg1

Established Member
Not as scenic as some mentioned so far but another vote for Liverpool Overhead Railway from me.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are a few lines that I would loved to have travelled, but most sadly disappeared in the decade or so before I was born. Forres to Aviemore would have been a lovely route, along with the former Morayshire Railway.

I'd have to go a bit further back in time, but there's also my "local" line - the Hopeman Branch of the Highland Railway.

Johnnie2Sheds

Marylebone "RA" Manchester on the GCR. What a wonderful day that would be.

Can I specify traction? Well I'm going to anyway, 4-6-0 Sir Sam Fay with a set of Barnums. I will bring you the photos back OK?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Guildford - Christs Hospital - Southwater - Shoreham
Somerset & Dorset (Plus branches)
Yeovil - Taunton
Taunton - Barny - Ilfracombe
Woodhead line
Bridport branch
Macclesfield - Marple
Great Central (Throughout).
Waverley line (Throughout).

Strathclyder

Established Member
Dunblane to Crianlarich for me. Have walked or cycled quite a bit of it over the years, and regularly drive along its course lamenting its loss!

In addition to this, I'd also travel on the Connel Ferry - Ballachulish section. Must have been an utterly stunning line to traverse.

Also, another vote for the Woodhead Line here.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
There's like a heap of scattered disused tracks here in Barnsley, including a bridge near my house. Would be interesting to discover it.

Also, that dodgy Thameslink branch line down to Moorgate.

djpontrack

Spean Bridge to Fort Augustas would be my first choice as I was born and brought up at Fort William.
Swindon to Highworth would be another line that I would do if I had a tardis and also a trip on some class 76s on the Woodhead line would be amazing too.
I was in Wetherspoons in Lime Street station on Monday and saw a big poster for the Liverpool Overhead railway, that too would of been an interesting trip.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft, as I used to live next to the Station Hotel in Gorleston.

Colne to Skipton, and also Buxton to Matlock would be up there, but the Grand Central line from London up to the Midlands would be amazing.

Was there also a line from Scarborough to Whitby? If so I reckon that would be nice.

Howardh

Established Member
The line to Coniston; and Bolton-Bury which looking at the traffic around here is so badly needed (but can't happen).

Love to have done Moor Lane to Leigh too.

xotGD

Established Member
March to Spalding on the old GN & GE Joint railway line.

Did that on the Newcastle - Great Yarmouth (and return) on a family holiday back in 1979. If anyone could point me to a list of what worked these services each week that summer I would be most grateful!

Back on topic: Skipton - Colne; Skipton - Grassington; Skipton - Ilkley

Status
Not open for further replies.