• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: KWVR Diesel Gala Rumours and Speculations

LRV3004

31452 in 05 too. Gave a good account!
I went to that gala but strangely don’t remember 31452 being there! Just looked at some pics of that event on Flickr - I remember most of the other locos there but not 31452 oddly enough!!!! Can’t believe that’s almost 19 years ago now though……!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I would doubt it, they don't get 4 axle locos (I can't remember one) due to curvature at Keighley.
That may be true, but strictly speaking don't both Peaks and 40s have the unpowered axle articulated to the rest of the bogie, so should be able to cope with any curve a 2-6-0 can negotiate.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That may be true, but strictly speaking don't both Peaks and 40s have the unpowered axle articulated to the rest of the bogie, so should be able to cope with any curve a 2-6-0 can negotiate.
I am trying to dig out the details but my Gmail search function is awful. The reverse curves through the pointwork at Keighley are too much for them to take based on their history of derailments in similar areas.

Last edited:

Forty29

No the whole bogie is one piece. Tight curves were l think the main reason for fractures in the bogie frame. A downfall of the design.

Iskra

Established Member
How about a WCRC class 33? The timetables are now online and one of the coaching rakes is labelled as 'WCR'.

Last edited:

kje7812

That would be the only Sulzer which at least offers a bit of variety.
Having consulted the preview timetable, it appears that the Western isn't out till late afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday. Well, good thing I was planning on staying late both days.

Well if its a WCRC loco, how about one of the 57/0s? Dunno if 006 still works but 009 or 10 would be worth a shout, I suppose WCRC have got some spare MK 1s not doing a lof atm

Iskra

Established Member
Well if its a WCRC loco, how about one of the 57/0s? Dunno if 006 still works but 009 or 10 would be worth a shout, I suppose WCRC have got some spare MK 1s not doing a lof atm
I’m sure some would be happy at that, but 33’s are a bit more in keeping with the Western theme…

xotGD

Established Member
I’m sure some would be happy at that, but 33’s are a bit more in keeping with the Western theme…
Plenty of 37s on the Western Region. We could always get a third?

xotGD

Established Member
I'm thinking it must be air braked only, since it doesn't appear to be working on the KWVR's own coaching stock.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm surprised they got permission for that I assume the rights lie with DB
There’s already a EWS class 31 on the NYMR too currently, so presumably they are quite open to it. It is of course a historic livery now, with DB’s livery being red.

That 37 does look stunning. I’m undecided on whether I’m attending the KWVR gala at this point or not, but if I don’t I’ll be aiming to head to the Wensleydale for a run behind it instead.

There’s already a EWS class 31 on the NYMR too currently, so presumably they are quite open to it. It is of course a historic livery now, with DB’s livery being red.

That 37 does look stunning. I’m undecided on whether I’m attending the KWVR gala at this point or not, but if I don’t I’ll be aiming to head to the Wensleydale for a run behind it instead.
Yeah but 31466 was painted BY EWS for the 2000 Toton open day, I daresay its a bit different if you paint it yourselfs

Iskra

Established Member
Yeah but 31466 was painted BY EWS for the 2000 Toton open day, I daresay its a bit different if you paint it yourselfs
Really? it’s looking remarkably good for something painted such a long time back!

IMG_3467.jpeg

alexl92

Established Member
Are West Coast’s mk1s dual-braked? The KWVR appeared to confirm on Facebook a while back that they were hiring in an air-braked rake, and that it wouldn’t be the LSL scotrail set.

Gwr12345

Are West Coast’s mk1s dual-braked? The KWVR appeared to confirm on Facebook a while back that they were hiring in an air-braked rake, and that it wouldn’t be the LSL scotrail set.
I believe they have a mix of air, vacuum and dual braked Mark ones but at the moment they probably won't be up to much!

Established Member
Boo! I wanted blue and covered with grime - just like when it was allocated to GD!
Having seen the pictures of 37250, which looks stunning by the way. Mr xot, i think we can certainly agree a GD loco has never looked that clean since they painted the gennies up for naming.

Gwr12345

What are the queues normally like for collecting tickets at the KWVR? Trying to decide whether to book in advance, or if I should just chance it and by the (only slightly) higher price on the day if the queue is likely to be shorter.

Iskra

Established Member
What are the queues normally like for collecting tickets at the KWVR? Trying to decide whether to book in advance, or if I should just chance it and by the (only slightly) higher price on the day if the queue is likely to be shorter.
Isn’t it just a QR code, which you show on board? Fairly sure that’s what I’ve had before at the KWVR although more recently I’ve just been paying on the day, even paying at the buffet on board on one occasion (with permission).

Gwr12345

Isn’t it just a QR code, which you show on board? Fairly sure that’s what I’ve had before at the KWVR although more recently I’ve just been paying on the day.
I assumed you had to collect them and that's when they gave you the gala timetable?

Iskra

Established Member
I assumed you had to collect them and that's when they gave you the gala timetable?
It’s possibly different for the gala with the tickets, but I’m not sure logically why it would be, although at another railway recently I was issued with a wristband instead of a ticket and I felt that worked well. The gala timetable is already available online. If you need a paper copy just ask at the ticket office and they’ll supply one I’m sure. Normally, they have the timetabled trains on a chalkboard which I’d usually just take a photo of so that I have it on my phone, that may be a bit complex for a gala though.

xotGD

Established Member
It is the same queue to collect pre-booked tickets or to buy on the day.

If you can arrive good and early you can beat the queue, or, if driving, park at Ingrow where there will be a lot fewer people.