• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest platform in Great Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Gloucester is correct. It is indeed the longest platform.

For reference its 1977 feet (602.6m). Maximum number of coaches can be held is 12 + 12, but dividing the length by 65ft (based on C1 restrictions) you can hold 30.

And what is the length of the platform at Manchester Victoria/Exchange? While you can't access most of it, it is still there ....

For the answer, check my previous posts in here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
And what is the length of the platform at Manchester Victoria/Exchange? While you can't access most of it, it is still there ....

For the answer, check my previous posts in here.

Yeah but does that really count? ;)

mrcheek

Established Member
this thread is getting kinda repetitive.....

oooh, what about Gloucester? or Bournemouth? or Edinburgh Waverley? or Leeds?

djw1981

Established Member
Gloucester also has a crossover halfway down ... so if a crossover discounts some stations.....

Incidently have 2 HST's ever been nose to nose in Gloucester? or even a 12 + 12 recently?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Random q after looking at Goolgle maps- having never been to Gloucester, if a Train is going Cheltenham -Gloucester-Bisol, as IIRc some XC do, does the train reverse at Gloucester?

mrcheek

Established Member
Random q after looking at Goolgle maps- having never been to Gloucester, if a Train is going Cheltenham -Gloucester-Bisol, as IIRc some XC do, does the train reverse at Gloucester?

yes. local services and the odd HST go via Gloucester, whereas XC services generally avoid Gloucester to save time.

me123

Established Member
According to the ever reliable wikipedia, Colchester actually takes the title despite the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. Gloucester seems to come second according to it's article. Of course, there's no references to prove support "fact".

class 313

Established Member
According to the ever reliable wikipedia, Colchester actually takes the title despite the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. Gloucester seems to come second according to it's article. Of course, there's no references to prove support "fact".

But Colchester isnt a continuous platform, as it has a junction that splits the two platforms up. So I would say it does not count.

me123

Established Member
But is there a continuous platform face? If a very long train stopped along the full platform, would all the doors be useable?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But is there a continuous platform face? If a very long train stopped along the full platform, would all the doors be useable?

I dont think so.

me123

Established Member
Then I would agree with class 313 in that it doesn't count.

Darandio

Established Member
I know this isnt the winner but on reading the book "the route of the flying scotsman" by B W L Brooksbank and it says platform 8 is 1389ft long (423 metres). Is this still the case or have things changed?

Bayum

Established Member
It could be another platform to another school like Hogwarts:roll:8)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I say Colchester does not count as platforms 3 and 4 are not conjoined as a single platform face.
colchester.jpg

me123

Established Member
Having seen the track diagram, I am inclined to agree with this conclusion.

Mintona

Established Member
Gloucester also has a crossover halfway down ... so if a crossover discounts some stations.....

Incidently have 2 HST's ever been nose to nose in Gloucester? or even a 12 + 12 recently?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, 2 HSTs have been nose to tail in Gloucester. All doors are accessible, and there would still be room just about for a 153 at the top (Cardiff end) and a 158 in between (because of where the signals are)
And yep, the 2 XC services a day reverse at Gloucester, as do all local services from Great Malvern/Worcester/Cheltenham to Swindon/Bristol and beyond.

class 313

Established Member
The new track maps have red as electrified - dimwit.

I'm sure Jamie can confirm as they look like pen marks more than the actual book itself (for the mainline). Also - there's no need for the childish insult thank you.

Last edited:

djw1981

Established Member
There do seem to be pen marks through up main / down main and P1-3, but the carriage sidings which you mentioned, and were thus the area my comments referred to, are just shown as electrified.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
The pen marks are indeed through platforms 1, 2 and 3.
I haven't covered any other piece of track at Colchester

Status
Not open for further replies.