• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Manual staffed signalboxes with few trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainford/ormskirk line.

Could see the signal movement by the signaller from the platform. Also could see the signaller collect the loop (whatever it's called) from the train driver as it's single line
Did you mean Rufford on the Ormskirk line or Rainford on the Kirkby line? Neither of them very busy but they do have regular trains all day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheDavibob

Is there much traffic between Lichfield Trent Valley High Level and Wichnor Junction?
Given the signalbox is East of the junction, the traffic levels are identical to Alrewas, unless I'm missing something? So, as upthread, bits of freight (not using Lichfield Trent Valley high level) and morning/night Voyager movements to/from Barton. [And additionally as noted upthread Cross Country diversions away from Tamworth, as this weeked]

WestRiding

Greatcoates manned as required. Pity there is no traffic to Grimsby Docks. All the cars there and no car trains. Such a wasted opportunity.

Tomnick

Established Member
Cheers - so officially what are they expecting the signaller to do all day?!
As others have said, there’s lots of things that aren’t banned - reading*, model making, welding (yes, I know of at least one example!), cooking (I used to quite regularly spend an afternoon at work cooking a big pot of something - dinner sorted for later in the shift, and something to take home for the whole family the next day too), painting - the list goes on.

Although radios are now officially permitted in smaller, relatively quiet boxes, there’s so many stories about televisions and (before that change) radios. My favourite was the manager who turned up at a box to do a visit, knowing full well that the signalman would’ve hurriedly thrown his portable television in the cooker, out of sight, as he approached. The manager triumphantly announced that he’d brought a pie that he’d like to warm up, turned the cooker on in preparation, and then sat and waited!

* - excepting “reading the Rule Book”, which is invariably done through the medium of dreams.

Meerkat

Established Member
On the very quiet boxes do managers make regular phone calls, as a welfare/presence check (depending on their view of the signaller in question).
i assume there is the occasional box the BTP get familiar with due to the attentions of the locals.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
excepting “reading the Rule Book”, which is invariably done through the medium of dreams.

Reminds me of a box visit I did at a sleepy box mentioned upthread, on a Boxing Day with engineering works so no chance of trains. The Bobby was lying on a sofa reading a book when I walked in, and I thought it was a little off, but then saw it was, indeed, the rule book!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Nothing like as extreme as some of the examples already cited, but I imagine Greenford West Junction SB must be pretty quiet now.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
On the very quiet boxes do managers make regular phone calls, as a welfare/presence check (depending on their view of the signaller in question).
i assume there is the occasional box the BTP get familiar with due to the attentions of the locals.

My LOM would try to visit each resident every couple of months, invariably early in the morning on his way to his office, and we invariably got a visit from one of the MOM's each week, bringing out supplies and Rule Book amendments. Sometimes the MOM's would do the LOM visits instead.
Presence checks are not required; the signaller being relieved would be shouting if no-one turned up!
Only time we saw BTP was on Race Days at Ludlow Race Course, to help control the idiots queuing across the crossing and/or jumping the red lights.
Being a rural Box I used to get the County Police calling occasionally, normally late in the evenings, and especially if there had been anything dodgy going on in the area.

Reminds me of a box visit I did at a sleepy box mentioned upthread, on a Boxing Day with engineering works so no chance of trains. The Bobby was lying on a sofa reading a book when I walked in, and I thought it was a little off, but then saw it was, indeed, the rule book!

What??
Nothing hidden inside it?

Crossover

Established Member
What about Banavie?
Does that count as a manual box though? It signals trains over vast distances too.
Fort William Jn (ex Mallaig Jn) counts, though most trains are signalled twice, and RTT gives me 26 daily movements (even with only one steam trip instead of two).

I'd argue it isn't manual, controlling various movements via RETB. If memory serves correct it controls movements all the way from Helensburgh Upper to the south to Oban and Fort William/Mallaig in the Highlands. Not a bad outlook from that box, either!

cakefiend

What about Banavie?
Dunno if you've ever had the pleasure of listening to RETB transmissions, but they've plenty to be getting on with. There's two signallers per shift, with the northern and southern halves of the route divided between them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I was once invited into a certain signal box ( wont say which) on the S&C during a site inspection near the box. I think the signal man was a bit lonely. He was very hospitable and I was very happy to spend a considerable time chatting and drinking his tea. It was great to talk to someone with a different experience of working life. Also if there is ever a chance of visiting a signal box take some biscuits. Always a good introduction ;)

PS The box was absolutely spotless.

6026KingJohn

Given the signalbox is East of the junction, the traffic levels are identical to Alrewas, unless I'm missing something? So, as upthread, bits of freight (not using Lichfield Trent Valley high level) and morning/night Voyager movements to/from Barton. [And additionally as noted upthread Cross Country diversions away from Tamworth, as this weeked]
Given that a train in the High Level platform can be signalled towards Alrewas (by Trent Valley Junction box) or towards Birmingham (by Aston box) presumably the signaller at Trent Vallley Junction has to be aware of terminating Cross City trains on the track circuit for the northbound signal.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I was once invited into a certain signal box ( wont say which) on the S&C during a site inspection near the box. I think the signal man was a bit lonely. He was very hospitable and I was very happy to spend a considerable time chatting and drinking his tea. It was great to talk to someone with a different experience of working life. Also if there is ever a chance of visiting a signal box take some biscuits. Always a good introduction ;)

PS The box was absolutely spotless.

Biscuits are a must.

83G/84D

Established Member
Goonbarrow Jn on the Newquay branch line. Four return trips most days to and from Newquay on a quiet day. If freight trains run then that number will increase slightly.

Western 52

Not quite the OP but Bishton Crossing has plenty of trains but very few road vehicles. Only larger vehicles use the crossing as cars use the underpass.

The boxes on the Burton-Leicester line must be amongst the quietest on the network. The busiest will be Bardon Hill with the quarry traffic and level crossing to deal with but even that's not that busy

robbeech

Established Member
Does this extend to crossing keepers? Norwood Crossing on the Robin Hood Line. The gates are left closed to the road which doesn’t really go anywhere. It serves about four houses. Trains stop at 22.30 but the crossing is manned right through the night as the first train in the morning is before a normal morning shift would start! Potentially you could sit there all day and do nothing.
I used to use that one quite a bit. I knew the guy that owned the farm and it was notably quicker to use the crossing than drive all the way around as I live 5 minutes away from one side and likely 10 minutes from the other side. That said, unless you’re actually going to one of the few properties there there aren’t many routes where this crossing is useful anymore, and I’ve certainly not used it for years. I must admit I wasn’t sure if it was still in operation.

Rockhopper

hi rob, I was actually offered an interview for a Crossing keeper job there last year. Apparently the previous chap took to sticking up the road closed sign then going to the pub - he got caught and sacked! Its fully manned 24/7 apart from Sunday when they don't start till 14:00.

LowLevel

Established Member
I used to use that one quite a bit. I knew the guy that owned the farm and it was notably quicker to use the crossing than drive all the way around as I live 5 minutes away from one side and likely 10 minutes from the other side. That said, unless you’re actually going to one of the few properties there there aren’t many routes where this crossing is useful anymore, and I’ve certainly not used it for years. I must admit I wasn’t sure if it was still in operation.

I see it being used fairly often with the signals on the opposite line going back on after we've passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.