• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most Expensive domestic point to point railway fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
As per the title. I suppose it can be set up in two different questions, though: 1) Most expensive standard class ticket; and 2) Most expensive first class ticket. I'm really interested in both, but the most expensive of all must be first class, and I'm kind of keen in seeing how much that is.

EDIT: Couple of edits as a reply to queries that came up: yes, only tickets between two stations count, not rovers. And only tickets within the national rail network, so excluding Eurostar (and NIR, not that I expect their tickets would be that expensive).

EDIT 2: No season tickets.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Presumably you are interested in tickets between defined stations, as opposed to the non-trivial "All Line Rover" answer?

AverageTD

Does Eurostar down to Marseille count? However online the ticket prices seem pretty good for how many miles it is

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
An anytime return from between Buxton (Derbyshire) and Shanklin (I.O.W.) has been named at the most expensive Standard class ticket (£501)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An anytime return from between Buxton (Derbyshire) and Shanklin (I.O.W.) has been named at the most expensive ticket (£501)
This isn't correct. I believe you may be copying & pasting from an out of date source (don't forget the forum rules regarding referring to external sources ;)).

The actual most expensive fare in the fares database is R075 (Newquay, Penzance etc) to R903 (Kyle, Wick etc) at £506 (SOR) / £784 (FOR)

In seven days time this goes up to £519 and £804, respectively.

Dhassell

That’s the most expensive Standard class ticket going.

The most expensive first class ticket is a first class anytime return from Newquay to Kyle if Lochalsh costing £1002!
Don't see where that second figure came from, a return from Newquay to Kyle of Localsh is £784.00

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This isn't correct. I believe you may be copying & pasting from an out of date source (don't forget the forum rules regarding referring to external sources ;)).

The actual most expensive fare in the fares database is R075 (Newquay, Penzance etc) to R903 (Kyle, Wick etc) at £506 (SOR) / £784 (FOR)

Ok I hold my hands up - i forgot to add the source my bad.

2017 isn’t out of date though surely? They haven’t updated fares since.

;)

I didn’t copy and paste actually, I rewrote it in my own words :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2017 isn’t out of date though surely? They haven’t updated fares since.
A quick search reveals this is also incorrect. There are 3 dates per year when fares change, not one. And 'corrections' such as this can be made at any time.
http://data.atoc.org/fares-data
Each year in the UK, train fares can be subject to revision in January, May and September, with the main revision taking place in January each year and the May and September revisions being available to make seasonal alterations to fares. Train companies are also able to create promotional fares and make corrections to fares between the three revisions under strict rules overseen by government.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A quick search reveals this is also incorrect. There are 3 dates per year when fares change, not one. And 'corrections' such as this can be made at any time.
http://data.atoc.org/fares-data
Fine but to be fair you wouldn’t think a fare would have changed that significantly within the same year... Plus your forum rules say nothing about sources must be extremely new or even in date it just says they must be appropriate (it is) and in quote tags (it is) therefore I have complied with the official forum rules. :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fine but to be fair you wouldn’t think a fare would have changed that significantly within the same year...
Given that it is clearly an error (a fare from Buxton heading south should not be more expensive than the equivalent fare from Wick, Kyle etc) which generated bad publicity for the rail industry, then yes I would think that it would be changed a lot sooner than nearly 300 days later.
Plus your forum rules say nothing about sources must be extremely new or even in date
If you wish to discuss the rules, contact us directly.

One of the reasons for requiring a quote and a link to the source is that it enables people to establish where you are obtaining the information from; in this case we can see it's an article from January 2017 highlighting a fares error at that time.

But other reasons include the fact that hyperlinks can stop working, content can change, and it can be difficult for our blind members to navigate such content, read it, and get back to the relevant thread.
it just says they must be appropriate (it is) and in quote tags (it is) therefore I have complied with the official forum rules. :)
The quote needs to be in quote tags. The hyperlink does not.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On a related note, I believe the most expensive 7 Day Season ticket to be a Penzance 1st Travelcard at £1051.40.

I wonder if this has ever been purchased? :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And the most expensive Day Travelcard fare is from Llanelli at £435.30.

Well, for example the Devon Day Ranger goes as south as Plymouth or Gunnislake area, and expands as far north as Taunton or Axminster.
Rovers and Day Rangers have coverage areas.

If you want to know the permitted routes from Penzance to London Zone 6, you need to consult the Routeing Guide, which is beyond the scope of this thread. There are many posts that can help you. Or simply use National Rail Enquiries and see if the route you require is valid on one ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.