• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most impressive stretch of line on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
I like viaducts and bridges so apart from the obvious ones like Glenfinnan, Ribblehead and the Forth Bridge etc the view across the River Kent estuary at Arnside takes some beating and the view above the River Weaver at Northwich on the mid Cheshire line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
I like viaducts and bridges so apart from the obvious ones like Glenfinnan, Ribblehead and the Forth Bridge etc the view across the River Kent estuary at Arnside takes some beating and the view above the River Weaver at Northwich on the mid Cheshire line

Also Runcorn.

MarkWi72

Good call. WCML. I have always enjoyed Exeter - Plymouth. Abroad - Rouen - Paris St Lazare is a nice ride.

Megafuss

From a technical standpoint, the Canal Tunnels, Thameslink core and associated infrastructure is genuinely impressive to me.

sjm77

Impressive eh?
Well after the upgrade I was very impressed the first time I hurtled through Rugby at 125mph. Awesome when compared with what went before..........!

quattrohead

How about Pevensey Bay to Hastings ?
The flat Pevensey marshes, along the beach at Cooden, impressively long station at Bexhill and the tunnels into Hastings.
Of cource you have to do it on a thumper !!!!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
How about Pevensey Bay to Hastings ?
The flat Pevensey marshes, along the beach at Cooden, impressively long station at Bexhill and the tunnels into Hastings.
Of cource you have to do it on a thumper !!!!

Yes, definitely a favourite. Don't forget the beach huts and the Martello tower !

backontrack

Established Member
Brora to Helmsdale is a firm favourite. The line is strung out into the bays that bite into the coastline, and, when you look down, you honestly expect see sand at your feet rather than train carpet.

fgwrich

Established Member
Brora to Helmsdale is a firm favourite. The line is strung out into the bays that bite into the coastline, and, when you look down, you honestly expect see sand at your feet rather than train carpet.

Ah the Far North Line, the only line where I've ever experienced all 4 seasons in one journey. I do agree though, it is a beautiful stretch of line - then you turn inland and through the lush greenery up towards Kinbrace.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Victoria has become quite impressive now that the chord has been built and the city has grown up and out.

backontrack

Established Member
Ah the Far North Line, the only line where I've ever experienced all 4 seasons in one journey. I do agree though, it is a beautiful stretch of line - then you turn inland and through the lush greenery up towards Kinbrace.
I love it so much. I love the part at Strath Ullie, and 'lush' really is the best word for it. You're right about it being like four seasons, too.

The Beauly Firth never fails to amaze me as well.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
The run out of Edinburgh Waverley on the Down ECML is particularly nice, you get a view right down the runway of the airport, then shortly after straight over the forth bridge, followed by seaside views for a lot of the journey up to Aberdeen.

vlad

That's true for me for the Manchester branch of the West Coast Main Line. Sunny and warm in Milton Keynes, snowing in Nuneaton, raining in Stoke....

I'm a fan of the Far North Line as well - it's certainly varied!

trebor79

Established Member
Almost the entire network is impressive to me. I often look out of the window and marvel that the route on which we travel was originally built by lots of tough men, using simple tools like picks, shovels, wheelbarrows and some gunpowder. Deep cutting, tunnels, viaducts, bridges and embankments. All built by hand.
Astonishing.

London Trains

That's true for me for the Manchester branch of the West Coast Main Line. Sunny and warm in Milton Keynes, snowing in Nuneaton, raining in Stoke....

I'm a fan of the Far North Line as well - it's certainly varied!

I've had very much the same to Birmingham. Very sunny and warm in London, snowing and settling from MK to Coventry and raining in Brum!

randyrippley

Established Member
not exactly "on the network" but its hard to beat the cliff sections of the Manx Electric Railway

deltic08

On Moderation
How about Gloucester - STJ. The stretch actions the coast and along side the Severn Bridge is quite something
I will second that, being a native of Lydney, especially before the Severn rail bridge was demolished. It is not a coast though, just the banks of a wide estuary.
Also Cumbrian Coast south of Maryport and Settle-Carlisle.
Penrith-Workington, Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle, the Port Road, Aviemore-Dava-Forres and Callender-Crianlarich before closure.

Worm

I think someone already said but the stretch of the Avocet Line in Devon between Topsham and Exmouth is beautiful on a summer day.

You get an amazing view of the Exe estuary and it looks huge when the tide is out. It was also my first time on a Pacer in well over 15 years.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Unless I've somehow missed it, am a bit surprised that the Aberdeen-Inverness Line hasn't been mentioned yet. Not the jaw-dropping beauty of the West Highland, Far North & Kyle of Lochalsh Lines, but understated in it's beauty.

On a somewhat related tangent, my family and I have holidayed 3 years on the trot in that part of Scotland, specifically Morayshire (twice in Portknockie ('17 & '18) & once in Portsoy ('19)) and I can tell you it's a criminally underrated part of the country as far as the scenery it has to offer goes. Mum fell in love with that part of the country pretty quickly and I can hardly blame her.

route101

Established Member
Unless I've somehow missed it, am a bit surprised that the Aberdeen-Inverness Line hasn't been mentioned yet. Not the jaw-dropping beauty of the West Highland, Far North & Kyle of Lochalsh Lines, but understated in it's beauty.

On a somewhat related tangent, my family and I have holidayed 3 years on the trot in that part of Scotland, specifically Morayshire (twice in Portknockie ('17 & '18) & once in Portsoy ('19)) and I can tell you it's a criminally underrated part of the country as far as the scenery it has to offer goes. Mum fell in love with that part of the country pretty quickly and I can hardly blame her.

Took bus from Elgin all the way to Aberdeen via the Morayshire coast last year. My first time in that neck of the woods.
Only ever done Aberdeen to Inverness once , need to do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.