• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most sparse platform at a major station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Newcastle Platform 8 is basically just the tail end of Platform 7.

I don't think it has the luxury of anything at all other than perhaps a couple of seats and a howling wind?

I think I'm right in saying it doesn't even have the luxury of any trains calling at it as I heard its not long enough for anything longer than a 142!

Efini92

Established Member
Indeed it might be, though I don't think it's closed for the installation of new facilities unfortunately. (I believe it was in use in June, when this thread was created... not sure why it's suddenly had lots of activity again; the forums work in mysterious ways :))
My guess is they closed it for Covid restrictions

CHAPS2034

My guess is they closed it for Covid restrictions

Platform 0 at Stockport was often not used pre COVID when there was a shortage of station staff.

I think that with the still reduced number of trains, everyone can cope with all up trains on 1 and 2, which are of course behind the gate line unlike 0. Easier for staff to manage all these movements and better for passengers too with all the facilities on 1 and 2 which 0 does not have. (WH Smiths, cafe, waiting rooms and toilets).

Durradan

At Aberdeen, I think there's a single bench between platforms 3 and 4. The remaining platforms are pretty bereft of anything, bar a luggage trolley park about 2/3rds of the way up platform 6N.

plugwash

Established Member
Platform 0 at Stockport was often not used pre COVID when there was a shortage of station staff.
My understanding is that platform 0 at Stockport is only marginally useful, it was built as platform 1* when there were plans for a major resignanlling and rearrangement (IIRC there were plans to change from lines paired by direction to lines paired by fast/slow) at Stockport, but those resignalling/rearrangement plans never came to fruition. The platform eventually got renumbered to 0 and opened but it's usefulness is limited by the fact that there is no corresponding platform in the other direction and the fact that the route from the fast line to platform 1 has a low speed limit.

* This meant that for a time Stockport had two platforms displaying the number 1.

Kettledrum

The London bound platform at Tamworth station is truly awful.

It takes 11 coach pendolinos and is very busy with peak time commuters. However, it has no canopy whatsoever and has a single bus shelter style shelter at one end of the platform.....and that's it.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Kingston station, platform 3 - the London-bound platform. Despite rebuilding in 1935, the station is still laid out as if the extension to New Malden (in 1869) never happened and most facilities (toilets, staff facilities, information point) are on the original "up" platform towards Twickenham, Platform 2. It took a long battle just to get the waiting room on platform 3 re-opened - there is a much bigger one on platform 2, complete with departure screens - and heating.

cornishjohn

I think I'm right in saying it doesn't even have the luxury of any trains calling at it as I heard its not long enough for anything longer than a 142!

I was catching trains on P8 reasonably often up until the COVID era. A number of metrocentre shuttles used it for example.
But it is indeed short. I suppose the shelter such as it is is on P6.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Crewe platform 12 has no waiting room. There is a bus shelter at the South end, but the roof is missing. They have though, despite very few trains using it, renewed the canopy over the central bit, and even extended it over the Northern end. There are PIS and a couple of seats, but that’s really about all.
I’m old enough to remember it as the main North bound platform, and pre the 1980’s resignalling it had a waiting room, travellers-fayre (remember them?) and John Menzies (remember them too?)

Statto

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly P13/14 there's a small waiting room at either end there's no other facilities other than that on the platforms, passengers are encouraged now to wait on the upper concourse leading to P13/14 where there's a shop & toilets, rather than on the platform itself

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I was catching trains on P8 reasonably often up until the COVID era. A number of metrocentre shuttles used it for example.
But it is indeed short. I suppose the shelter such as it is is on P6.

Presumably this was back in the 142 era, as mostly there hasn't been a weekday Metrocentre shuttle since the second train per hour to Carlisle started?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s shown as 41m in the public sectional appendix, but that seems highly optimistic, looking at the crossover position on an aerial view, and measuring from the start of the platform copings and markings.

Would be interesting to know what the designers brief was, it seems incredibly restrictive...

Alfie1014

9/10 at Stratford. A few seats and shelters, but used by a LOT of people.

Agreed, and under normal circumstances when it rains due to the lack of shelter passengers wait on the fairly narrow stairs making passing them problematic to say the least.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It’s shown as 41m in the public sectional appendix, but that seems highly optimistic, looking at the crossover position on an aerial view, and measuring from the start of the platform copings and markings.

Would be interesting to know what the designers brief was, it seems incredibly restrictive...

Even if its is 41m then nothing now operating through Newcastle would fit (now that 142s have been withdrawn from traffic in the area)!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even if its is 41m then nothing now operating through Newcastle would fit (now that 142s have been withdrawn from traffic in the area)!
Sure, it just seems odd that they’d build something in the first place that could only be used by a 142?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Sure, it just seems odd that they’d build something in the first place that could only be used by a 142?

Oh absolutely. I've previously pondered whether the reason might have had something to do with loco moves but I struggle to imagine what that might have been.

thenorthern

Established Member
Manors station seems rather sparse as it's always seemed very wide but deserted whenever I have been there.

Same with Denton.

DustyBin

Established Member
Platform 4a at Darlington. The refuge of covert smokers, hardy spotters and ‘pacer plebs’ waiting for the Bishop Auckland train! (Although they’re being spoilt these days with 156’s and even 158’s!).

warwickshire

On Moderation
Nottingham station worth another mention all platforms i.e. heading towards the east Croft side off station i.e. all open get drenched whilst getting onto train. Very cold during extreme cold temperatures.

Also at Nottingham to get over from platform one and the east side bay platforms. Especially to platform 7 is one hell off a trek. Needs at least another bridge with accessibility access to be built. On east side. Not ideal or disability friendly. Especially if getting off a Newark or Skegness terminator train and faced with a prospect off a long walk across from one side off station to another. Unless you want a tour around the whole off the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.