• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most sparse platform at a major station

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimbus21

Well there is the luxury of waiting on the subway ramp listening to the brass band! A bit of improvisation, like platforms 3 & 4 at Bradford Interchange where the canopy finishes at the buffers, but there is the option of walking to the end of the platform to stand under the overbridge and listen to the delightful clatter of traffic bouncing on the bridge joints!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mac080758

Platform 0 at Cardiff Central must be in with a shout. Its just a platform and a basic bus shelter and not a lot else. Its almost isolated from the rest of the station and isnt even inside the barrier line.
Do you still walk to it by walking along at track level with a barrier separating you from bogies of the train? I've used it once, soon after it opened.

[.n]

Bournemouth platform 4? It's technically just an extension of 3 but has almost nothing bar, i think, one departure board. It doesn't often get used but it's in regular use now with the temporary timetable.

We could also count platform 1

Looking at the types of facilities people are saying, every London Terminal easily qualifies. People are encouraged to wait on the concourse and usually there is absolutely nothing on the platform.

There is near platform 19 at London Victoria (inside the gate line) a small coffee kiosk :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Surprised the island platform at Taunton hasn't been mentioned, I assume it still gets used on occasion these days. Unless they've given it a shelter of sorts in the last decade that is.

Taunton

Established Member
Surprised the island platform at Taunton hasn't been mentioned, I assume it still gets used on occasion these days. Unless they've given it a shelter of sorts in the last decade that is.
The central island at Taunton (I nearly wanted to call it 5 and 6 - showing my age; it's been 3 and 4 for a long time) is still used by some services, such as those terminating from Bristol.

From former to current home, although inner London the main, upper DLR island platform at Canning Town always has an aura of bleakness. Being elevated on a viaduct, and an island with the tracks outside, although it has a canopy it is completely unprotected from wind and rain blowing in from any side. Plenty of passengers around and frequent trains, but also a lot of shelterless waiting for the right one with the wind whipping through off the Thames nearby.

stuu

Established Member
Virtually all Cardiff services start/finish in platform 3. It's got a roof over the stairs to the subway now which includes a waiting area, which is adequate for the Cardiff trains but not at all if either long distance service calls there

Status
Not open for further replies.