Trivia: Named Buses.

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by GrimsbyPacer, 15 Jun 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

No idea if its still done but SYPTE use to name their Rural Links fleet into named of local people, animals and landmarks.

Which meant at one point you had Richard Rolle of Hampole, Tickhill Castle, Vulcan, Nijinksky, Sir Cornelius Vermuyden, Sheffield Castle, Mi Amigo, Hartcliffe Tower, Lizzie Ward, Clock Tower, Ebenezer Elliott, The River Don, The River Sheaf, The River Loxley (there were two other local river named ones and I can't remember them), Samuel Fox, Serre, Stephenson Fountain, The Clayminer, The Little Mesters and Thomas Jessop are the ones that I recall.

Sadly Richard Rolle of Hampole, Nijinksky and Hartcliffe Tower vehicles were denamed.

2. AJM580

AJM580 Member

Sanders Coaches in Norfolk have several named vehicles as do the ex-Norfolk Green buses now run by Stagecoach

3. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Transdev Harrogate are to name a 36 Riding Redefined vehicle after Ripon Gold medal winning Olympian Jack Laugher.

4. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Back in pre-First days, Southampton Citybus used to name some or all of their vehicles. I forget the full details, but I'm fairly sure that famous ships figured somewhere amongst things.

5. HMS Ark Royal

HMS Ark Royal Established Member

EYMS have a double decker painted up as a WW1 tribute bus - the nice thing is that the livery is modified every time an important battle comes along

6. deltic1989

deltic1989 Established Member

NCT have some vehicles named.

Gotham Garage, have started naming buses after notable people in the Clifton area (Though judging by some of the names that have cropped up, it doesn't take much for NCT to class you as notable. :D )

Ones I can remember are:

Keiron Hill - L Cpl Keron Hill killed in Afganistan
    Josh Hill - His Brother an active fundraiser
    Micheal Choudrey - AKA Irish Mike, been removing litter from the estate for years.

Others I don't know the reason for.

Wayne Kidger
    Maria Watson
    Keith Elliot
    Barbra Green

7. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

No only a few, which were named way back in 2010 and then they never completed the idea (very unlike FirstGroup!)

One of them was named after someone who was at the time a Leeds legend but it was removed after they'd spelt the surname wrong. Thankfully it never gained a replacement version.

Arriva Yorkshire 268 buses used to be named after Mr Men, but this was discontinued when it converted into a MAX route.

8. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

9. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  10. Hophead

Hophead Member

They do indeed - if you click through, you will find that there have been transfers (as well as livery changes).

It's notable that the new StreeetDecks have yet to get christened (the company made a bit of a fuss about the Coaster buses last year).

The names are linked to the operating area, rather than Brighton itself.

Current fleet list, for a list of currently carried names.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  11. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

2 of the Solos used on the Huddersfield Free Town Bus are named Pinky and Perky. I think this is a legacy from before K-Line was bought by what is now Yorkshire Tiger. Honley depot also personalised a few of their solos, with pictures of cartoon/comic characters by the doors. There was a Roadrunner, a Daffy Duck and a Batman. I have no idea if they had permission to use said characters!

12. DunsBus

DunsBus Member

Preserved former Nottingham City Transport Atlantean 666 is named Andrew Pickering, after a local youngster who succumbed to a fatal condition in 1994. 666 was his favourite bus and NCT recognised this by naming it after him when it was refurbished in 1995; it also took part in his funeral procession.

13. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

14. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

15. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    First Kernow relatively recently named an open top Olympian after Olympic star Helen Glover, it was subsequently withdrawn at the end of the summer season.

Nice gesture whilst it lasted!

Last edited: 1 Oct 2016
  16. 341o2

341o2 Member

Southern Vectis cdl899 is known as The Old Girl and bears the name on her bonnet

17. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Transdev have named Harrogate based 'Riding Refined' route 36 Gemini 3615 Peter Melville-Smith. Peter was best known as the duty inspector at Harrogate Bus Station and sadly passed away just before Christmas. My last encounter with him was him trying to persuade, without success, a Connexions driver not to abandon their vehicle on the wrong stand.

18. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I'm waiting for a gas bus to be named 'Jumping Jack Flash'.

19. Liam

Liam Established Member

The coaches and buses of Telford's (of Newcastleton) are all named Border something. E.g. Border Warden, Border Flyer, Border Settler etc.

20. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Transdev Harrogate has named one of its Riding Redefined '36' route buses (3615) 'PETER MELVILLE-SMITH' after a popular member of staff who passed away suddenly just before Christmas. The bus followed the funeral cortege through Harrogate bus station earlier today, bearing the words 'Thank you Peter' on its destination display. The video I've seen of it was rather moving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.