Trivia: Named Buses.

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by GrimsbyPacer, 15 Jun 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

2 of the Solos used on the Huddersfield Free Town Bus are named Pinky and Perky. I think this is a legacy from before K-Line was bought by what is now Yorkshire Tiger. Honley depot also personalised a few of their solos, with pictures of cartoon/comic characters by the doors. There was a Roadrunner, a Daffy Duck and a Batman. I have no idea if they had permission to use said characters!

2. DunsBus

DunsBus Member

Preserved former Nottingham City Transport Atlantean 666 is named Andrew Pickering, after a local youngster who succumbed to a fatal condition in 1994. 666 was his favourite bus and NCT recognised this by naming it after him when it was refurbished in 1995; it also took part in his funeral procession.

3. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

4. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

5. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    First Kernow relatively recently named an open top Olympian after Olympic star Helen Glover, it was subsequently withdrawn at the end of the summer season.

Nice gesture whilst it lasted!

Last edited: 1 Oct 2016
  6. 341o2

341o2 Member

Southern Vectis cdl899 is known as The Old Girl and bears the name on her bonnet

7. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Transdev have named Harrogate based 'Riding Refined' route 36 Gemini 3615 Peter Melville-Smith. Peter was best known as the duty inspector at Harrogate Bus Station and sadly passed away just before Christmas. My last encounter with him was him trying to persuade, without success, a Connexions driver not to abandon their vehicle on the wrong stand.

8. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I'm waiting for a gas bus to be named 'Jumping Jack Flash'.

9. Liam

Liam Established Member

The coaches and buses of Telford's (of Newcastleton) are all named Border something. E.g. Border Warden, Border Flyer, Border Settler etc.

10. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Transdev Harrogate has named one of its Riding Redefined '36' route buses (3615) 'PETER MELVILLE-SMITH' after a popular member of staff who passed away suddenly just before Christmas. The bus followed the funeral cortege through Harrogate bus station earlier today, bearing the words 'Thank you Peter' on its destination display. The video I've seen of it was rather moving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.