• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - NBC Bristol VR double deckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

busesrusuk

Oxford Bus famously were the only NBC company not to buy any Leyland Nationals, were there many NBC bus operators that never took the other standard NBC bus the Bristol VR?

Two that spring to mind would be Jones, Aberbeeg and Provincial; both predominantly single deck operations.

Any offers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
London Country Bus Services only received a few (15 from memory) for operation at Grays, primarily on the 370. My recollection is they didn't last too long being ''non standard.''

Hophead

Established Member
London Country Bus Services only received a few (15 from memory) for operation at Grays, primarily on the 370. My recollection is they didn't last too long being ''non standard.''

They were also high-bridge, I think, so fairly non-standard in NBC terms as well.

Roger1973

Yes, 15, and they went to Bristol Omnibus in 1980/81. More at 'Ian's Bus Stop' here.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a rational explanation why LCBS ended up with them, but the way things were in the mid 70s, it could just have been that anything with the right number of wheels that was OPO-able was welcome.

My understanding is that LCBS were fairly low on the list for getting spares for them, so moving them on to an operator with an existing fleet of VRs made sense when the urgent need for them had passed.

Man of Kent

I think Maidstone & District was the only fleet with all three height variations bought new: 13ft5in, 13ft8in and 14ft6in.

Roger1973

I think Maidstone & District was the only fleet with all three height variations bought new: 13ft5in, 13ft8in and 14ft6in.

Think so.

I have seen a photo (it may have been an old 'Buses Annual') where someone had chanced on one of each type together.

A quick search on Flickr only got me as far as two out of three (high bridge and low height, but not standard) here (not my photo, of course)

Eyersey468

Established Member
They were also high-bridge, I think, so fairly non-standard in NBC terms as well.
Technically all VRs were Highbridge, some were built to a lower height but a lowbridge bus had a sunken gangway upstairs

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Think I've seen photos of Midland Red VRs
Midland Red did not have any VRs delivered new.

Only when Oswestry, Macclesfield and Crewe depots of Crosville were folded into Midland Red North were there significant VRs wearing some sort of Midland Red fleetname. Midland Red West had a couple on loan at Redditch c.1987, and there were a few in Leicester (but that was in Midland Fox days).

If you want a bus operating NBC firm that didn't operate VRs.... then suggest Shamrock and Rambler. Of course, a predominantly coach operator, they did operate minibuses (and Nationals in its last Drawlane days) but not deckers

Bus Lightyear

Was there any non-Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol VRs ordered by NBC or was it only municipals like Dundee and Cardiff?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Was there any non-Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol VRs ordered by NBC or was it only municipals like Dundee and Cardiff?
There were a number of Willowbrook bodied VRs ordered and operated by Northern General and East Kent. They were rubbish but ordered a) because ECW had production delays in the 1970s and b) Willowbrook was based in Loughborough which was a key marginal for the 1979 election! I travelled on a number of the Northern ones.

Most VRs were Gardner engined (6LX or 6LXB) but some were Leyland engined with 0501 engines which were quick, whilst a few had 0680 engines (Southdown and Bristol OC) and they were startlingly fast.

The NBC did purchase some secondhand VRs from West Midlands PTE and Tayside with MCW and Alexander bodies respectively that went to National Welsh (and perhaps South Wales for the MCWs)

A0wen

On Moderation
If you want a bus operating NBC firm that didn't operate VRs.... then suggest Shamrock and Rambler. Of course, a predominantly coach operator, they did operate minibuses (and Nationals in its last Drawlane days) but not deckers

You could add National Travel London who picked up some LRT contracts and ran them using LCBS Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redmike

The NBC did purchase some secondhand VRs from West Midlands PTE and Tayside with MCW and Alexander bodies respectively that went to National Welsh (and perhaps South Wales for the MCWs)
Crosville also ended up with some secondhand East Lancs bodied VRs from South Yorkshire.

robertclark125

Established Member
As an aside, some of the East Kent willowbrook bodied VRs moved in 1994 to Fife Scottish.

Speaking of Northern, later Go Ahead Northern, I don't believe that their North Tyneside depots, Wallsend and Percy Main, had any. I wonder if any depots within NBC companies, which bought the VR, didn't receive any.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
As an aside, some of the East Kent willowbrook bodied VRs moved in 1994 to Fife Scottish.

Speaking of Northern, later Go Ahead Northern, I don't believe that their North Tyneside depots, Wallsend and Percy Main, had any. I wonder if any depots within NBC companies, which bought the VR, didn't receive any.
I'm fairly certain that Percy Main had VRs at some point - I've got this one recorded on a trip on the 303 in 1990, and Stephen Day has it pictured here https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/41097373421/in/photolist-25BCMiP

There were definitely some NBC depots that didn't get VRs - United depots at Alnwick (but did under Northumbria), Sedgefield, Sunderland and Pickering didn't have VRs. Notably, Loftus depot didn't have deckers because of a low bridge at Brotton that impacted its operations. However, on the closure of Whitby depot, they were responsible for the new Whitby outstation which did! Deckers would have to run out of service to Loftus for inspections/work etc

JKP

I'm fairly certain that Percy Main had VRs at some point - I've got this one recorded on a trip on the 303 in 1990, and Stephen Day has it pictured here https://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd481j/41097373421/in/photolist-25BCMiP

There were definitely some NBC depots that didn't get VRs - United depots at Alnwick (but did under Northumbria), Sedgefield, Sunderland and Pickering didn't have VRs. Notably, Loftus depot didn't have deckers because of a low bridge at Brotton that impacted its operations. However, on the closure of Whitby depot, they were responsible for the new Whitby outstation which did! Deckers would have to run out of service to Loftus for inspections/work etc
Berwick had VRs. They sometimes ran on the 463 to Kelso where the bus station had insufficient clearance so had to terminate and depart from outside.

Other than Hutchings and Cornelius at South Petherton did any other independent operators buy new VR/ECW? Was there an operator in west Wales?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Berwick had VRs. They sometimes ran on the 463 to Kelso where the bus station had insufficient clearance so had to terminate and depart from outside.

Other than Hutchings and Cornelius at South Petherton did any other independent operators buy new VR/ECW? Was there an operator in west Wales?
Berwick typically had 4 VRs and they worked most things other than the main 5** routes south.

The H&C vehicle actually ended up with West Wales at Tycroes - is that what you're recalling?

The last ECW bodied VR was one of a pair that went to Stevensons of Uttoxeter. The last one was preserved by Duncan Roberts (?), the guy behind Northern Bus. Not certain what happened but he was involved with MASS Transit and the VR was abandoned in the former Leon garage at Finningley where it was vandalised and probably scrapped.

randyrippley

Established Member
Pedantically, I don't think any VRs got Royal Blue branding.
And how about the other coach businesses like Black&White and Red&White?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Most VRs were Gardner engined (6LX or 6LXB) but some were Leyland engined with 0501 engines which were quick, whilst a few had 0680 engines (Southdown and Bristol OC) and they were startlingly fast.
The fitting of 0680s arose as I recall from there being a shortage of 6LXBs when NBC went on its 1980-81 purchasing spree of late build VRs, at the same time as London was buying Metrobuses and Titans.

Was the use of 0.501s due to a shortage, an attempt to test aligning the spares pool with other vehicles, or something else?

randyrippley

Established Member
Ribble had some Leyland engined ones which were initially used on the 140 Lancaster-Preston service and were exceedingly quick. Notable for their screaming turbocharger. I can remember one night at Lancaster bus station a Lonsdale driver claiming/complaining he'd being doing 70 in his coach up the A6, and one of these VRs was accelerating away from him. (The background was that Lonsdale's 100 service from Burnley/Blackburn/Preston, Ribble's 140 from Preston and 142 from Blackpool were all scheduled to arrive at Lancaster around midnight and often used to indulge in unofficial "races" up the A6.)
They were later fitted with Gardners (on fuel economy grounds) and moved to other work

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The fitting of 0680s arose as I recall from there being a shortage of 6LXBs when NBC went on its 1980-81 purchasing spree of late build VRs, at the same time as London was buying Metrobuses and Titans.

Was the use of 0.501s due to a shortage, an attempt to test aligning the spares pool with other vehicles, or something else?
I think the use of 0501s was because of production shortages - Gardner had a large amount of industrial unrest and disputes in the mid 1970s.

Pedantically, I don't think any VRs got Royal Blue branding.
And how about the other coach businesses like Black&White and Red&White?
Royal Blue was just a brand under NBC control

Red & White wasn't just a coach business. The R&W and Western Welsh names were both carried by new VRs apparently before they were folded into National Welsh. R&W was reinstated under later NBC control for the National Welsh operations in the Forest of Dean.

The last 2 VRs built eventually ended up with crosville cymru as EVG49 and EVG 50,the only time EVG was used for double deckers.Think they ended their days based at Aberystwyth depot.

The last 2 VRs built eventually ended up with crosville cymru as EVG49 and EVG 50,the only time EVG was used for double deckers.Think they ended their days based at Aberystwyth depot.
I concur... I was at uni in Aber from 91 to 95 and definitely went on one or both of these on a number of occasions. They had high back seats hence the E for express. Was a great time to be there... VRs, Leopards and Nationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.