• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Beddau: which many people (myself included, for a while!) pronounce it as 'Bed-Eye' or 'Bed-ow' (same as cow). It is in fact pronounced 'Bay-ther'.
I'd pronounce it something closer to "Beth-eye" myself (with the 'th' sound as in "this" , not "thing" ), but that's coming from a North Walian who's not yet had occasion to visit that town. The rest of your list all look familiar to me as local (or somewhat Anglicised) pronunciations that I've encountered, even if I wouldn't normally use that pronunciation myself.

(In other words, I tend to pronounce Welsh placenames as if speaking in Welsh, and through my own local accent, with very few exceptions.)

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Don't know if this has been mentioned before. Could someone explain why Cathays is pronounced Curtoys? A station near Cardiff.

daodao

Established Member
I'd pronounce it something closer to "Beth-eye" myself (with the 'th' sound as in "this" , not "thing" ), but that's coming from a North Walian who's not yet had occasion to visit that town. The rest of your list all look familiar to me as local (or somewhat Anglicised) pronunciations that I've encountered, even if I wouldn't normally use that pronunciation myself.

(In other words, I tend to pronounce Welsh placenames as if speaking in Welsh, and through my own local accent, with very few exceptions.)
I used to live just off Manor Way and bus route 400 (formerly run by Bebb's) from Beddau, which stops at Caedelyn Road, provided my local bus service into the city centre. I always pronounced Beddau as "Beth-eye" and don't recall hearing an alternative pronunciation; that is not to say alternative pronunciations aren't in use locally.

Some of the other pronunciations given in post 1113 are non-standard Anglicised South Walian dialect. For example, Llanedeyrn (a Cardiff suburb) is widely pronounced (incorrectly), including by myself, as "Llan-edin".

krus_aragon

Established Member
Some of the other pronunciations given in post 1113 are non-standard Anglicised South Walian dialect. For example, Llanedeyrn (a Cardiff suburb) is widely pronounced (incorrectly), including by myself, as "Llan-edin".
I know Llanedeyrn, having had gone there to visit family many a time. I have to admit that I also 'skip' over the 'y' and 'r'; I'd have to resort to the IPA alphabet to describe how it's almost, but not quite "Llan-ed'in"

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
Ulleskelf (Ool-skelf or Ull-uh-Skelf are two pronunciations I have heard)

Also, with its lack of a station and singular bus service there is Wilveliscombe - is any part unpronounced - I always end up pronouncing it Wivelly Comb, but sure this isn't right.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Also, with its lack of a station and singular bus service there is Wilveliscombe - is any part unpronounced - I always end up pronouncing it Wivelly Comb, but sure this isn't right.
Just say Wivvy, locals usually shorten it to that! ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Pronouncing dictionary gives - "Wihvul-iss-kum" but gives a local pronunciation of "Will-skum"

prod_pep

Established Member
I've always pronounced Maidstone as roughly 'Maidst'n' as with Folkestone, Parkstone, Penistone, Shenstone, etc. A former Maidstone local who recently moved to Liverpool insists the correct pronunciation is as spelt, with the 'stone' part fully pronounced. It's hard to argue with a local but is the 'Maidst'n' variant ever heard within Kent?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've always pronounced Maidstone as roughly 'Maidst'n' as with Folkestone, Parkstone, Penistone, Shenstone, etc. A former Maidstone local who recently moved to Liverpool insists the correct pronunciation is as spelt, with the 'stone' part fully pronounced. It's hard to argue with a local but is the 'Maidst'n' variant ever heard within Kent?

It is Maid-st'n and that's irrespective of accent

Lewlew

I've always pronounced and heard "stone" pronounced in full for both Maidstone and Parkstone

RichT54

I grew up in Kent. My family and the people I knew all said 'stone' for both Maidstone and Folkestone!

Meerkat

Established Member
The difference between Maidstone and Maidst’n is just accent and class isn’t it?
I use both, depending on how ‘properly’ I am talking.

DavidGrain

Established Member
The difference between Maidstone and Maidst’n is just accent and class isn’t it?
I use both, depending on how ‘properly’ I am talking.

I also used both pronunciations of Maidstone when I used to travel there regularly on business. As with many of the other posts on this thread about other place names, these variants are what our teachers in infants school called lazy speech. Closer to home I am just as likely to say Birmingum or Birminghum as I am to say Birmingham. It really depends on who I am talking to, or even to whom I am talking

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned before. Could someone explain why Cathays is pronounced Curtoys? A station near Cardiff.

An interesting conundrum. Presumably the name is from China (and, coincidentally, there were Cardiff engine-sheds at both Cathays and Canton in my trainspotting youth) and should logically be pronounced in its native form, as is expected of Welsh-origin names.
Reminds me of trying to find Cambois diesel depot (replaced the easy North and South Blyth sheds) Tried it in my best schoolboy French to completely blank looks from the otherwise helpful passers-by. (I think it's 'Kammers'.)

prod_pep

Established Member
I also used both pronunciations of Maidstone when I used to travel there regularly on business. As with many of the other posts on this thread about other place names, these variants are what our teachers in infants school called lazy speech. Closer to home I am just as likely to say Birmingum or Birminghum as I am to say Birmingham. It really depends on who I am talking to, or even to whom I am talking

The 'h' is silent in Birmingham (i.e. 'Birmingum') irrespective of class or accent, unless you're North American.

I'll stick with 'Maidst'n' then. Despite having been to both places, I've never heard anyone pronounce Folkestone or Parkstone with the full 'stone'.

Calthrop

Established Member

Not meaning to come across as combative: but doesn't virtually everyone, "from aristocrats to paupers", pronounce it basically as "Birmingum"? (I live in that city, myself.) From all that I discern, no-one in Britain actually pronounces the "h" in the name. Americans pronounce the same-name city in Alabama, as "Birming-ham" -- pronouncing the "h", and with the stress more on the final syllable, than on the others; but they and we say a lot of things differently from each other...

I'll stick with 'Maidst'n' then. Despite having been to both places, I've never heard anyone pronounce Folkestone or Parkstone with the full 'stone'.

You won't go wrong with that but I would give Maidstone up to half a stone at the end, not quite cut-off. As you say, there is no emphasis at the end of Folkestone (where I grew up and am stuck now), for me it's just wrong! Have we discussed Marden yet? Apparently that has a DEN, as does Tenterden, but I'd feel rather odd saying it. Back to stations, and EARith.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I always call Birmingham Brum, obviously the shortened version of Brummie
A Brummie is someone from Brumagem. So Brum is a shortened form of the name of the city.
I wondered why someone from Manchester was called a Mancunian until I say an Arriva Trains Wales timetable which called the city Manceinion

Whistler40145

Established Member
A Brummie is someone from Brumagem. So Brum is a shortened form of the name of the city.
I wondered why someone from Manchester was called a Mancunian until I say an Arriva Trains Wales timetable which called the city Manceinion
Obviously Manceinion is the Welsh spelling of Manchester

ValleyLines142

Established Member

All of those in my post are confirmed from a fluent Welsh speaker, so make of that what you will :)

It isn't. It's pronounced 'cutaze'.

Status
Not open for further replies.