• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Platforms on one 'fast' line but not the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

I believe Ally Pally did before the (not so, now!) recent works to add a platform on what was previously the Up Goods (I think)? The platform face to the Up Fast on the original island is still there but fenced off.

Happy to be corrected on this - I can't quite recall how it was.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill57p9

Chesterfield being another example with 4 tracks, 3 platforms but with the up slow being the platform-less line.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Not the case, I’ve actually been on a train which stopped on the Down Fast Platform (works on the slow lines). Think it’s a short platform though.
I stand corrected then. I didn't think that anything could stop on the Down Fast at Bushey.

Iskra

Established Member
What’s the arrangement at Wakefield Westgate with one platform being on a loop? Is the through line the fast line? Therefore one platform is on the fast and one the slow?

zwk500

Veteran Member
What’s the arrangement at Wakefield Westgate with one platform being on a loop? Is the through line the fast line? Therefore one platform is on the fast and one the slow?
I guess by the strict interpretation of the OP's criteria it does count, although the loop is not really a 'slow line' in the normal sense, but yes you have a platform on only one Main line and not the other.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I guess by the strict interpretation of the OP's criteria it does count, although the loop is not really a 'slow line' in the normal sense, but yes you have a platform on only one Main line and not the other.

The up loop at Wakey was removed around the time of electrification.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The up loop at Wakey was removed around the time of electrification.
Assumed that had been the case - that's where most of the suggestions upthread have arisen from, with a main being removed to allow stanchions in the track bed and avoiding the need to mount them on station buildings. Durham being an obvious example, but believe Peterbrough and Alexandra Palace had similar treatment.

dazzler

Would Retford be a candidate? Not my area
Nowadays Retford has both ECML platforms on the slow/loop, with no platforms on the fast lines. I think if you go back far enough, the current down platform was part of an island with a platform face on the down main, so historically Retford is/was a candidate, nowadays, not so.

WesternBiker

The LSWR had plans to 6 track throughout from Clapham, and lots of work was done before it fizzled out due to manpower shortages during the war in 1915-16, the additional running lines and long sidings and altered bridge abutments at various locations around Wimbledon are evidence. After the war it was found that the colour light signals and electric trains meant more could be squeezed on the existing 4 tracks, so work never resumed. Surbiton was ultimately rebuilt in 1936 as part of extension of colour light signalling to handle the extra trains of Portsmouth and Alton electrification scheme.
Fascinating. I must research it further!

Andyjs247

On the Chiltern line, both Princes Risborough and West Ruislip have the up platform on a loop, separate up fast through the middle and a platform on the down main. And South Ruislip is opposite with the down platform on a loop, down main in the middle and up main with a platform.

All three had both platforms on loops originally with main lines passing through the centre. This layout was typical on what is essentially a 2-track main line. Other stations have lost the centre roads completely (Beaconsfield for example) with subsequent line speed increases and rationalisation.

devon_belle

Another one I've come across: Andover Junction was rebuilt in the 1880s to have two centre through roads, one of which was converted into a single-ended siding at some time around 1917. As such until rationalisation it only had an up mainline.

I can't think of a reason to do this, other than to avoid having what was possibly a little-used facing crossover for fast through trains. The alignment doesn't seem to have been designed for fast through running on the down main, funnily enough, whereas the up main seems to have been aligned for through running.

Photo showing the 1917- layout in 1956 copyright H.C.Casserley.PXL_20230619_223355958.jpg

baz962

Established Member
The change of title of the thread is confusing. You have now included a huge percentage, possibly most platforms. Most platforms would be on one fast line and not the other. Usually one platform is on the up and a different platform is on the down. That leaves island platforms and stations with middle roads.

devon_belle

The change of title of the thread is confusing. You have now included a huge percentage, possibly most platforms. Most platforms would be on one fast line and not the other. Usually one platform is on the up and a different platform is on the down. That leaves island platforms and stations with middle roads.
I thought that my description of the question was clear but if necessary I can change it. Did you have a suggestion?

To clarify I'm asking about stations with platforms provided on only one 'fast' or 'through' line, but not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.