• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Platforms on one 'fast' line but not the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_belle

I am wondering which stations are configured with a platform on one 'fast' line but not the other.

I am thinking of stations like Surbiton, which was rebuilt in its current layout in the 1930s, rather than stations like Earlsfield, which just had the up fast platform removed at some point in the past. If a station was reconfigured in this form, like Peterborough, I think this also counts.

Bonus question - what was the rationale behind the provision of a layout such as Surbiton? Is it typical to provide an up fast platform but not a down fast, or the other way around?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
West Byfleet also has a down fast, a remnant of third track being added and line eventually quadrupled when extra track was added turning down platform into an Island.

Surbiton was rebuilt, but wasn't room to easily add another fast track, work had been done around 1913-1915 west of the station with the aim of six tracking from Guildford new line and Hampton Court junctions including the Hampton Court flyover (which had room for 6 tracks). The 6 tracks nearly got built to Surbiton, but work stopped during WW1. The electrification got as far as Claygate when stopped by the war.

The LSWR had plans to 6 track throughout from Clapham, and lots of work was done before it fizzled out due to manpower shortages during the war in 1915-16, the additional running lines and long sidings and altered bridge abutments at various locations around Wimbledon are evidence. After the war it was found that the colour light signals and electric trains meant more could be squeezed on the existing 4 tracks, so work never resumed. Surbiton was ultimately rebuilt in 1936 as part of extension of colour light signalling to handle the extra trains of Portsmouth and Alton electrification scheme.

dazzler

Hatfield on the ECML has platforms on the Up Slow, Down Fast and Down Slow, but not the Up Fast.

devon_belle

I wonder if Swindon would count, as it has a single through road (although it is not quadruple).

West Byfleet also has a down fast, a remnant of third track being added and line eventually quadrupled when extra track was added turning down platform into an Island.

Surbiton was rebuilt, but wasn't room to easily add another fast track, work had been done around 1913-1915 west of the station with the aim of six tracking from Guildford new line and Hampton Court junctions including the Hampton Court flyover (which had room for 6 tracks). The 6 tracks nearly got built to Surbiton, but work stopped during WW1. The electrification got as far as Claygate when stopped by the war.

The LSWR had plans to 6 track throughout from Clapham, and lots of work was done before it fizzled out due to manpower shortages during the war in 1915-16, the additional running lines and long sidings and altered bridge abutments at various locations around Wimbledon are evidence. After the war it was found that the colour light signals and electric trains meant more could be squeezed on the existing 4 tracks, so work never resumed. Surbiton was ultimately rebuilt in 1936 as part of extension of colour light signalling to handle the extra trains of Portsmouth and Alton electrification scheme.
Thanks, this is really interesting.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Hanwell has one adjacent to the up fast but not the down equivalent. Track alignment means the up platform is not usable for boarding and alighting

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hanwell has one adjacent to the up fast but not the down equivalent. Track alignment means the up platform is not usable for boarding and alighting
But Hanwell had a down fast platform in the past, (like many other similar locations), so would be ruled out like the OP’s example of Earlsfield…

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
For the time being Mirfield has a platform on the Up fast... however also for the time being there is no Down fast which probably disqualifies it.

PGAT

Established Member
Battersea Park shares an island: the Up Slow with the Down Fast

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Stamford Brook has a (disused) platform on the Westbound Piccadilly Line, but not on the Eastbound.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
None of the lines at that point on the Windsor side are actually designated fast or slow, it’s Windsor Reversible, up Windsor and down Windsor. I don’t think it counts.

Battersea on the Victoria lines the OP means not the SWML.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Peterborough is another one: Platform on the Up Fast but not the Down Fast.

Also Dunbar, other way round: Platform on the Down Main but not the Up Main.

Acton Main Line also is Up Main only no Down Main platform.

Magdalia

Established Member
Peterborough joined this club only recently, the platform on the up fast being an addition.

I'm wondering if Ipswich counts? The middle road used to be the up fast but is now bidirectional.

Alexandra Palace has a platform on the up fast but not the down fast, though it is now out of use.

Ely used to have no platform on the down fast but the down platform was extended outwards a long time ago now. The canopy on platform 1 gives a clue as to where the platform 1 track used to be.

devon_belle

Acton Main Line also is Up Main only no Down Main platform
Not sure I'm counting that one as it was built with a down fast platform that was removed in the 60s.

That was one I first thought of, also Durham, but ruled them out on the number of tracks part of the question.
I've rephrased the question to allow these kinds of stations as I'm also interested!

It seems like Woking would count presumably after quadrupling in 1904 and before rebuilding in the late 30s?

Surrey-Railway-Stations-Through-Time.jpg

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've rephrased the question to allow these kinds of stations as I'm also interested!
Well in the case of Durham, prior to electrification there were 4 lines through the station, in a conventional paired by direction layout with platforms only on the slows. But the tracks combined into 2 immediately just south of the station, with a significant curve in both fast lines between viaduct and station.

When they electrified they rationalised/optimised the number of lines down to 3, the down fast now running along the former up fast alignment, and the up lines being combined into one and running through the platform. The electrification masts stand in the line of the original down fast. Last but not least, they then smoothed the entry route into the down platform - an aerial view, (such as Google maps satellite), makes it fairly clear what they did, you can see the taper to the altered down platform edge.

steamybrian

Established Member
St Johns, near Lewisham, in London, Platform A
St Johns is only two platforms one each side of an island platform.

It would appear that New Cross (the next station) has 3 main line platforms (ignoring the bay for East London Line services) but they serve the 3 slow lines.

Just thought of Chesterfield which has 3 platforms but no platform on the up fast.

Last edited:

AJDesiro

Rugby is similar to Peterborough, platform 4 is the up fast, but the down fast is a middle road. Upon looking at the track diagram it seems that the layout at rugby is merely for operational convenience, due to the nature of the junction it’s easier to have a middle road on one end, but not easy to have one on the other, due to the positioning of the platform and main building in association to the Birmingham flyover.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Stamford Brook has a (disused) platform on the Westbound Piccadilly Line, but not on the Eastbound.

Would it be more accurate to call the W/B Picc platform unused rather than disused?

Incidentally, I believe that situation stems from the time a century or so back when the 4 tracks along there were paired by service not by direction, with platforms needed only on one pair. When the current situation (inner "fast" tracks for Picc Line and outer "slow" tracks for District) was instituted, one side of the existing island became redundant (given the Piccadilly wasn't intended to routinely stop there), and an extra platform was squeezed onto the northern side of the station so that the E/B Districts could call,

Bill57p9

Carstairs before this year’s remodelling, though technically no up slow at this point, the up passing loop being located west of the station.
  • Up main (with platform)
  • Down platform
  • Down main
  • Down passing loop

vlad

Loughborough (Midland) isn't an answer to this question as both fast lines have platforms. However, only one of the slow lines does, so southbound stopping trains have to use the platform on the northbound line.

mailbyrail

Port Sunlight had two platforms on the outer tracks of a four track railway meaning one was on the fast and the other on the slow - I think it was Down fast and Up Slow

JohnElliott

Earlswood has or had a disused platform on the down fast line, but the corresponding platform on the up fast was demolished in (IIRC) the 1980s.

Spartacus

Established Member
Loughborough (Midland) isn't an answer to this question as both fast lines have platforms. However, only one of the slow lines does, so southbound stopping trains have to use the platform on the northbound line.

While Ilkeston & Langley Mill go the whole hog with none on the slow line.

Status
Not open for further replies.