• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway station hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bavvo

Don't think that anybody has mentioned Liverpool Street yet.
The Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel is the former Great Eastern Hotel and you don't have to cross a road to get into it from the station although the old direct doorways from the upper level concourse (at the 'back' of the hotel) are no longer in public use I believe.
It is certainly handier for the platforms than the Great Northern at Peterborough.

I stayed there recently (very nice too) but sadly there is no direct access from the concourse side, although all the arches are there still, displaying Hotel above the doorways. The main entrances are both street side, but not quite as impressive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

The old Seaham Harbour station had an entrance from the Station Hotel and apparently it was common practise at chucking out time to put drunks on the last train to Sunderland regardless of where they lived.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
A couple more that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

At both Glasgow Queen Street and Ayr there are former railway hotels that are still open and you can get into without going off the 'pavement' by the station. Both are structurally parts of the station complexes (like several of the other candidates).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not anymore but there used to be a walkway from Bath Spa station to the Royal Hotel directly opposite. That is going back quite a long time ago though (way before I was born)!

lejog

Established Member
The Midland Hotel in Bradford has a rather elegant tiled corridor running from the reception to what used to be the platforms at Forster Square, but is now a pedestrian route between the tax office and the mail sorting office. It featured on the Portillo tv show.
I'm unsure if there was a similar link between the Victoria Hotel and Bradford Exchange.

A couple more that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

At both Glasgow Queen Street and Ayr there are former railway hotels that are still open and you can get into without going off the 'pavement' by the station. Both are structurally parts of the station complexes (like several of the other candidates).

You've not been through Ayr in the last 2-3 years then!

The Station Hotel is closed and falling to bits. NR were forced to erect scaffolding on platforms 1 and 3 along with debris catching netting to prevent roof slates and masonry falling onto passengers. An unsafe building order has recently been issued to the absent owners of the hotel. It is a disgrace to the town and an absolute eyesore from all angles. The roof is leaking in numerous places and allows water to leak into the Scotrail offices.

DasLunatic

Yes.....as I said in my first post. When working in York and commuting by train, I used it, as a useful short-cut....from the platform through the hotel, exciting out of the main entrance.

Wow. Were you trapped in the hotel, and wanted to get out?
(grabs coat)

najaB

Veteran Member
The [Ayr] Station Hotel is closed and falling to bits.
It is such a shame as it is a very grand building and would be an asset to Ayrshire if it was redeveloped as a decent three-star hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.