• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Rarest BR locos to survive into preservation

Theirs been a few threads of the theme of failures to preserve stock that was once numerous, but what are some examples of the other way round? Interested more in BR because you can find lots of examples of one off pre grouping steam trains. Was their any diesels BR made only a few off that still managed to make it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Counting prototype trains we can count the APT, but it never ran in revenue service unlike the 89.

Another one off prototype that ran in revenue service and made it into preservation would be the double decker 4DD.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’d say the class 15, class 17, class 28 and prototype HST power car are all very interesting single surviving members of their types.

Mat17

I don't know what makes it a more fortunate survivor. A prototype loco being a one off already would more or less guarantee a short life you'd think. However, if it's unique and survives then that a 100% survival rate. Compared with a more numerous class that was just scrapped en mass. So class 76 for example, 57 built and used extensively in service, one survives intact. Not a great survival rate.

Bill57p9

Ok, steam but still BR, 71000 Duke of Gloucester the sole Standard Class 8 built.
(Somewhat ironic to have a standard class of one)

Mat17

Class 77 were a rare class - 7 built. 3 have survived into preservation - a good survival rate.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Considering how few were actually built (prototype plus 22 production locos), surely the Deltics are in with a shout. I suppose it depends on your definition of rare.

Perhaps a subject for a separate thread, but the class must have one of the highest percentages of survivors (27.3% - production models only).

Bovverboy

Established Member
Another one off prototype that ran in revenue service and made it into preservation would be the double decker 4DD.
The 4DD type comprised two four-car sets. Two of the driving motors have survived (out of four), and none of the trailers.

341o2

Established Member
deleted as mentioned pre grouping steam trains excluded by op

Iskra

Established Member
Ok, steam but still BR, 71000 Duke of Gloucester the sole Standard Class 8 built.
(Somewhat ironic to have a standard class of one)
That's a 100% class survival rate though...

If units are allowed as well then the class 109. Five sets built, one made it to preservation.

Again, 20% isn't bad.

- - - -

Are there any BR classes where non survived?

Veteran Member
D0226 - not "made by BR" but "made for BR" (it was in my ABC long before I met it in real life on the KWVR).

etr221

Clan Pacifics, Class 3 2-6-0s, Class 3 2-6-2Ts and Class 2 2-6-2Ts
Of which there are projects in progress to construct a Clan Pacific and a Class 3 2-6-2T, and create a Class 2 2-6-2T (from a 2-6-0): leaving only the Class 3 2-6-0 unrepresented.

Trainlog

BR Standard 5mt No: 73129 is said to be one of 2 locos with Caprotti valve gear left in the UK, with the other being Duke of Gloucester.

D6130

Established Member
Counting prototype trains we can count the APT, but it never ran in revenue service unlike the 89.
I'm not sure that's actually true. I seem to remember that for a short time in the early 1980s there was an advertised (or was it unadvertised?) SX APT-P service from Glasgow to London in the morning, returning from Euston at 16 30. It was available to all ticket holders and included a full restaurant service. Can't remember what time it departed from Central, but I've a feeling that it was about 07 40 - following the first loco-hauled service at 07 10.
Thank you both. A 29 would have been nice! :)
Yes indeed! :wub:

Harvester

Established Member
Of which there are projects in progress to construct a Clan Pacific and a Class 3 2-6-2T, and create a Class 2 2-6-2T (from a 2-6-0): leaving only the Class 3 2-6-0 unrepresented.
Indeed, although I had posted an answer to a specific question! Are there any BR Standard classes with no survivors from BR stock?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Most unlikely survivor would be an unreliable loco, withdrawn long before it was preserved, surviving only by chance in the nether reaches of the network. For example the class 28 D5705. Class withdrawn 1968ish, used by the Research Departmen, preservation from the 1980s, still being restored today.

Mat17

That's a 100% class survival rate though...

Again, 20% isn't bad.

- - - -

Are there any BR classes where non survived?
DMU wise - Metrocammell Lightweights, and classes 112, 113 & 125.

EMUs would be a much longer list, but some extinct classes are: 304, 305, 506.

xotGD

Established Member
18000 is a very unlikely survivor.

But it survived.