• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Recent stations entirely losing service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
I was just wondering - which are the most recent stations to lose service? By this, I mean permanent stations entirely and permanently losing all rail and light rail services and not being promptly replaced with a nearby alternative - so the City Widened Lines being closed wouldn't count, as all those stations are still served by London Underground (and Moorgate by the Northern City Line), nor wood Oldham Mumps because the tram stop that replaced it very nearby was specifically designed to replace it. Stations that retain a very limited service like Denton also don't count.

I can think of:

* FUTURE Watford (Met) 2016
* Newhaven Marine 2006
* North Woolwich 2006
* Silvertown 2006
* Norton Bridge 2004 (?)
* Barlaston 2003
* Wedgwood 2003
* Folkestone Harbour 2001
* Croxley Green 1996
* Watford West 1996
* Dover Western Docks 1994
* Ongar 1994
* North Weald 1994
* Sinfin North 1993
* Sinfin Central 1993

Have I missed any (especially since 1990), and are there any more planned?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Altofts near Normanton in West Yorkshire closed on 14/05/1990.

Also, there was Etruria which closed at the same time as Wedgwood and Barlaston.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Mosley St on Metrolink was closed and not replaced.

Woodland's Road closed but was replaced by two new stations at Abraham Moss and then Queen's Road.

Oldham Werneth was not directly replaced I feel, but new stations either side of it were opened in better but different locations at Freehold and more recently Westwood.

Etruria? Nevermind.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Silvertown and North Woolwich were replaced by London City Airport and King George V on the DLR prior to closure.

If you go back a little further, Primrose Hill closed in 1992.

Cefn On? That may have been a bit before 1990. It was partly replaced by Lisvane & Thornbill. Does Newhaven Marine no longer has its parliamentary service?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If you stretch this back 27 years(!) Weymouth Quay last saw regular service in 1987.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Pendleton (just north of Salford Crescent) was formally closed in 1998, although following a fire trains stopped calling there in 1994.

Buttsy

Established Member
Grangetown (Middlesbrough) 11/91
Cargo Fleet 01/90
Upton-by-Chester (1984)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kilmacolm 10/01/83
Bridge Of Weir 10/01/83
Houston 10/01/83
Selsdon 13/05/83
Couldsdon North 30/09/83

tom1649

Godley East closed 27th May 1995.

Aldwych (LUL) closed September 1994.

Last edited:

nrturner

Watford Stadium, Watford West and Croxley Green - all stations which won't re-open as part of the of the Croxley Rail Link (but are being replaced by nearby tube stations). Last trains ran in 1996.

Buttsy

Established Member
Filey Holiday Camp (1977). I know it isn't exactly what the OP was after, but I have a vague liking for that station...
Eltham Park & Eltham Well Hall (1985)
Warrenby Halt (1978)

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
I'm going to say Workington North (closed May 2010) (Yes, I know, not permanent. I really should read the OP more carefully :))

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
I'm going to say Workington North (closed May 2010) (Yes, I know, not permanent. I really should read the OP more carefully :))
Haha, yes - right before submitting the post I remembered that one and added the word "permanent" ;)

Yeah, I can't believe how many I forgot about.

table38

Established Member
Where was 'Park', please? On the same line?

Yes, a bit further east along the line to Ashton-under-Lyne from Miles Platting. Access was from Briscoe Lane, and the lines from Baguley Fold Junction to Philips Park South Junction run alongside but south of the station. The platforms are still visible.

I remember reading somewhere it was built to serve Philips Park, but suffered from competition from trams* and was closed and the service was eventually cut back to a limited peak hours service, then finally closed in 1995

(* not metrolink, proper old trams :))

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Where was 'Park', please? On the same line?

Yep. EDIT: Answered better above!

Eutroria. Again late 80s

Etruria you mean? That closed along with near-neighbours Barlaston and Wedgwood (and indeed Norton Bridge) as a side-effect of the WCML upgrade works.

There's also Garston (Merseyside), which was relocated slightly to become the low-level platforms of Liverpool South Parkway.

Last edited:

Etruria you mean? That closed along with near-neighbours Barlaston and Wedgwood (and indeed Norton Bridge) as a side-effect of the WCML upgrade works.

There's also Garston (Merseyside), which was relocated slightly to become the low-level platforms of Liverpool South Parkway.

I'm struggling posting from mobile!

table38

Established Member

Heh, here's a map just to really show off :)

park.jpg

Interesting the Wikipedia (yes I know) article for Park Station has a dead link to a "List of dates from 1 January 1985 to 20 January 2006 of last passenger trains at closed BR (or Network Rail stations since privatisation)". Department for Transport Website: Freedom of Information Act responses, February 2006. Department for Transport. 2006.

Last edited:
Funny how memory plays tricks. I was positive it closed many years before that - but indeed in was 2005. It had looked pretty sad for a long time though.

johnnychips

Established Member
This might be total rubbish, but didn't Park serve a huge Co-op jam factory, which later closed. That's what my late dad told me.

GlosRail

Tilbury Riverside November 1992 lost all passenger services, but I think is still used for freight.

Buttsy

Established Member
Heaton (when T&W metro opened)
Alston, Slaggyford, Featherstone Park, Lambley & Coanwood (1976)
Bridport, Toller, Powerstock (1975)
Gloucester Eastgate (1976 or 1977 I think)
Radipole (1984)
Reddish South & Denton might as well be! ;)
Royton Junction (1987)
Lea Bridge (1985)
Ditton (1994)
Skelmanthorpe (1983)
Melton (Humberside) was in the timetable as a footnote for teh last few years of its existence in the 1990s.
Elsham (1993)
Brocklesby (1993)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In addition to Ramsline Halt, Wadsley Bridge and Watford Stadium there was also Hull's Boothferry Park Halt which (according to Wikipedia;)) closed for safety reasons in 1986 and was removed/demolished by Network Rail in October 2007: Years after the stadium itself closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.